00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

tossing boxes of old PC games

1,485 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-03-30 16:35:26

Hi

I have a lot of old PC games that fill up space. I though about throwing out boxes and manuals, keeping only the CD-Keys and the CDs/DVDs in a CD-holder/container.

I have also considered the "digital approach", meaning scanning in the CD-keys (or taking pictures of them), storing them on a USB key and throwing out all the CDs/DVDs, since many of them can be torrented anyway, so I could install any game using my own legal key, whenever I felt like playing a particular game.

Have anyone stumbled upon similar problem and care to share some advice?

P.S. Is it worth trying to sell any PC games that don't come with a CD-key?

tossing boxes of old PC games

Heya

Response to tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-03-30 17:04:01

At 3/30/13 04:35 PM, Aleque wrote: I have also considered the "digital approach", meaning scanning in the CD-keys (or taking pictures of them), storing them on a USB key and throwing out all the CDs/DVDs, since many of them can be torrented anyway, so I could install any game using my own legal key, whenever I felt like playing a particular game.

you could just write the key down, however, some games like Diablo and starcraft already registered your key when you created an online account. You can download the official digital copy from Blizzard. As for other games, you can try adding your key with the digital servers like uPlay or steam for example. Older games you can use virtual CD.

P.S. Is it worth trying to sell any PC games that don't come with a CD-key?

minus the fact the CDs are probably damaged by age, the data is value less as you can't own software. It's the CD-Key AKA license you own which has the value.

Response to tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-03-30 19:42:27

If you ever intend to sell your games, it may be worth keeping everything since people are usually willing to pay more for games that come with manuals and boxes that are still in good shape.

If you know you'll never want to get rid of your games, I suppose you might as well trash the boxes if they're starting to take up too much space.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-03-31 03:57:35

I'm considering selling my boxed games from the '90s and 2000s, someday, since the CD keys will work an unlimited number of times.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-03-31 07:21:49

I already did it. I cut out the CD-keys from all the manuals scanned them in, took a backup, threw out the plastic boxes and manuals. Then I kept some of the CD/DVDs by putting them in the CD-holder. The only games I kept completely are: Dragon Age 1&2, Mass Effect 1, 2, 3, Skyrim, Oblivion, Witcher2. I also did the same with movies: I only kept Braveheart and Bloodsport.

I am amazed how much crap I can do without and even feel better afterwards. Highly recommendable ;)

Heya

Response to tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-03-31 07:47:52

At 3/31/13 07:21 AM, Aleque wrote: I am amazed how much crap I can do without and even feel better afterwards. Highly recommendable ;)

If those were anything other than PC games, I'd almost be angry. I never really got into PC gaming so it doesn't bother me as much but why people throw away boxes and manuals just baffles me. I guess with games that came in cardboard packaging, people are more likely to throw it away.

I've seen people mention that some American game stores were throwing out Mega Drive/Genesis boxes and selling the games as loose cart games to save space. That's barbaric! The way I see it, these games are out of print and, to a lot of people, they're still pretty desirable so when I hear of people throwing out the boxes and manuals, it disturbs me a little. If I'm buying an old game, it's pretty rare for me to take interest in a copy that doesn't come in the original packaging.

I suppose this post was kinda of topic in a sense but still, don't throw away old video games. There are people out there willing to pay good money for them!

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-03-31 08:17:48

Let it go, Jack.

Heya

Response to tossing boxes of old PC games 2013-04-02 04:03:56

Can I have your original Guild Wars box?

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature