00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Advice For A Beginner?

1,621 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-24 21:33:38

Hey there, guys.

I was hoping maybe I could get some tips from some pros about making music. I listen to a lot of bands like Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Celldweller, and other industrial/techno type stuff. Lately I've wanted to get into making my own music, too. I have a good ear for music and all, I can play the guitar and drums but honestly that's about it. What I really want to know is how to make some stuff like the industrial and techno beats that I hear on places like NG, etc.

I have a friend who recommended I try using FL Studios, so I got the demo, and it's pretty good I guess. I'm still getting used to it, but it seems comfortable enough, but I don't know if it's the best thing to use or what.

So I guess what some of my questions are would be:

1. What programs do you use/What would you recommend to a beginner?
2. How do you go about doing what you do to make music?
3. Random tips?

I'm sorry if this thread is sort of vague or confusing, but I'd just like some help to get into this. Thanks a ton.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-24 23:10:51

At 3/24/13 09:33 PM, ADHD-Rebel wrote: 1. What programs do you use/What would you recommend to a beginner?

Basically I think FL Studio has one of the most user-friendly interfaces, so that is definitely a plus. There are other DAWs out there but I have very limited knowledge of them, although I definitely suggest you check them all out to see which one you would feel more comfortable with.

How I go about it is either messing around and trying to get some ideas or I already have an idea in my head and I just transpose it into FL. I think the challenge of this part is actually creating the sound that you imagined. I'm sure some will find it easier than others, but I personally take quite a while to create my own sounds.

3. Random tips?

It's probably quite intimidating to begin with, but you get better with time. The more time you spend doing it, the better you'll get and you'll familiarise yourself with the program, so try to jump into FL and mess around as often as you can, and don't be afraid to explore. All DAWs (FL studio, Ableton Live etc) have many features incorporated into them that not many people know about, and you'll become aware of such features if you explore the program.

I don't think I wrote a very well thought out reply, but overall I suggest you find what you're comfortable with and settle with that and explore and play around with it.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-24 23:39:44

years of trial and error my friend. don't worry, you'll get use to it :D

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 03:47:06

Just keep writing music and experiment allot, the more you'll do it the better you'll get!
FL studio is a great DAW to start with, try to get your hands on some VSTi's and since your a guitarist maybe get an
USB audio interface? so you can record some riffs into your software :)

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 04:09:58

Well, I personally hated FL Studio when I tried it and I've heard others say the same. Truth is, there is not 'one size fits all' principle here: each DAW has their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, this is a choice we can provide little help with, as it all comes down to personal taste. I use Reaper, which out of the DAWs I have worked with extensively (Reason, Sonar, Cubase, Reaper) is the one I like best.

Either I write something from scratch, or write something based on an improvised piece. After that come the actual production, mixing, mastering, etc.

3. Random tips?

It may be worth investing at least some additional time in studying music theory.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 06:34:40

3. Random tips?
Learn about the clichés in your genre of music and break them.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 11:45:21

I use Finale 2012, but I definitely wouldn´t recommend it to a beginner. Quite honestly it is for writing Acoustic Music and such so I don´t think it would be what you want in the first place. FL Studio is probably the most versatile at what you want, but there´s also stuff like Cubase and Pro Tools that can get certain niches down.

I write down ideas whenever I have them, and develop them if iI feel they are good enough.

3. Random tips?

Don´t be afraid to ask anyone to note out flaws or possible improving points in your music, and don´t get discouraged if you aren´t an instant hit- popularity requires effort and time, sometimes much more than one instead of the other.

I'm sorry if this thread is sort of vague or confusing, but I'd just like some help to get into this. Thanks a ton.

No problem man , if you earnestly ask for help, you´re going to get it around these parts. Good luck!

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 14:37:48

I might be new here, but I'm really not a "new" composer...I've been composing for a few years already with some learning...and these are my personal advise, don't take them into a big consideration since I believe there are a lot better composers out there who can give you a lot better advises than me.

I use Cubase and Finale. Cubase quite easy to get around once you start to know which goes where and what does what. It's also one of the most powerful composing tool and unless you want to make a living off from music, I don't really recommend you buy the retail version since they really expensive. Everything in Cubase is straight foward and additional touches can be learned through instruction manuals (or youtube videos if you don't like to read).
I use Finale for more specific scoring though..
Well, since I'm more of a classical/cinematic composer, I usually go for an idea or a specific scene that I want to portray through my music. But from time to time, I just press random notes in my midi and if one phrase sounds really good, I try to expand that phrase into an entire song.
3. Random tips?
It is indeed important that you listen to the critics, but sometimes you shouldn't just take all of these so-called "advises" into your consideration. Some of the advises the critics give are sometimes personally related that it could actually erase the actually purpose of the music you were trying to represent to the people. An example would be like, "I don't like the texture in that specific part, it makes me feel odd...and its off tune." Well, if you knew about the part and was made intently to portray off-tune phrase, then its what the piece is about. Make sure that the meaning of the music is there.

-KDH

-Donghyun Kim

Contact me if you want me to make some music for you. (Free or Paid I'm fine with it)

More preferably to my e-mail address: overwhelming12@gmail.com

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 15:38:22

At 3/24/13 09:33 PM, ADHD-Rebel wrote: Hey there, guys.

I was hoping maybe I could get some tips from some pros about making music. I listen to a lot of bands like Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Celldweller, and other industrial/techno type stuff. Lately I've wanted to get into making my own music, too. I have a good ear for music and all, I can play the guitar and drums but honestly that's about it. What I really want to know is how to make some stuff like the industrial and techno beats that I hear on places like NG, etc.

I have a friend who recommended I try using FL Studios, so I got the demo, and it's pretty good I guess. I'm still getting used to it, but it seems comfortable enough, but I don't know if it's the best thing to use or what.

3. Random tips?

So from a beginner to a beginner, let me tell you what my experiences have been. I purchased the FL Studio Producer Edition and I have zero regrets about it. It has a great interface and it does the same basic things that every DAW out there does.

When I make music, it usually comes from an idea that came from a tutorial. Youtube has tons of tutorials on everything FL Studio. The more tutorials you complete, the better you will get. Eventually you will be able to start coming up with your own ideas while using the technical skills that comes from the tutorials.

Another great resource is http://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/There you will find the basics,advanced skills and much more. It's a great place to not only start but to keep with you along your musical journey.

The one tip that I can give you is to stay persistent. Don't give up, especially when thing things either get too hard or you get too comfortable. It's easy to learn a basic skillset and always applying it to your work. Try challenging yourself after you get to a comfortable level. The more hours you put into FL Studio the better your music will become. Eventually you will learn how to tie your guitar and drumming work into everything.

Hope that has helped a little. I'm no expert. Like I said...From a beginner to a beginner!

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 15:51:25

Thank you all for the advice so far :D

I'm even more pumped up now than before and I'm looking forward to it. One of the things I think one of you mentioned was that it's easy to imagine what you want a song to sound like, but hard to make it actually come together. That's definitely been something for me to apply myself to, lol. But I guess that's part of the fun of it all.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 18:57:05

Since most people already said what needed to be said I'll just put this out in the open.

Never ever ever ever use garageband it sucks your soul and spits out into a million pieces

Check out my stuff in order to win a free hug

Click here for my cool music and stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-25 21:00:02

At 3/25/13 07:08 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 3/25/13 06:57 PM, XToxicReaper wrote: Since most people already said what needed to be said I'll just put this out in the open.

Never ever ever ever use garageband it sucks your soul and spits out into a million pieces
But... but.. what if the person has only a Mac and no money?

Then you ask a pirate for help. They are located deep in the Atlantic ocean

Check out my stuff in order to win a free hug

Click here for my cool music and stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-27 03:08:55

I am kind of a newbie myself, but I use FL Studio! I totally recommend it not only because of its user-friendly interface, but also because it's the most popular DAW out there right now (I think), so you should be able to find tutorials specifically for FL Studio much easier!

For me, I like to play around with a piano a lot, sometimes I start working on a really nice melody or chord progression. Other times I try to create a cool drum beat first, to build my track off of. This is also sort of a grey area for me :(

3. Random tips?

Do not underestimate or overlook the more unnoticeable factors of a great song! When most people hear a great tune, the first thing they like to compliment is the melody, or the heavy bass, or that catchy drumbeat. But take the time to learn how to EQ and filter, and to properly manage your frequencies! These "behind-the-scenes" techniques will really make a difference in your music, despite not being immediately noticeable. Otherwise you might end up with a heavily "muddy" track, or a depressingly quiet one compared to most others out there.

Also note, I'm definitely not a pro at this yet either, but this is what I have learnt and been through while I continue to learn about this!

Check my SoundCloud Here!

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-27 11:36:39

Best of luck sir, these are the first that come to mind for me-

1. You're always your own worst critic.
2. Weigh your feedback realistically, steering to appeal.
3. Give love, receive love. Elitism alienates you.
4. Never insult/discourage others no matter how good you get.
5. Video tutorials are awesome, but don't forget to research good reads as well.
6. Make friends! I can't tell you how much I've learned just talking to people.
7. Sidechain compression is huge. Learn it, love it.
8. If you're mastering your own work, mix first, then master. Saves time.
9. Don't try to sound like anyone else. The next Skrillex won't sound like Skrillex.
10. Finally regarding #9, Play for fun, not for fame. Fame is ultra-rare, enjoying music has it's own rewards. If you DO get famous, cheers! ... and let me come on your yacht! :D

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-27 16:49:15

FL studios
sit down and do it. It ain't gonna suck itself
3. Random tips?
Buy followers
Do drugs

BBS Signature

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-27 19:26:28

It's going to take you a year to wrap your head around a daw to use it sufficiently. Probably another year to produce anything that sounds decent. Because you need to learn not only the technical aspect but also what makes music good.

The key is really wanting to create and not being afraid of failure.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-28 02:23:04

Have fun, get motivated. Practice! Don't compare yourself to harshly to others. Just keep working on stuff and always try and improve yourself. Most important part is have some fucking fun. Good luck man ;)

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-28 02:57:19

At 3/24/13 09:33 PM, ADHD-Rebel wrote: 3. Random tips?

Learn your hotkeys while you're learning your program of choice. It'll save you an unbelievable amount of time down the line.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-29 01:06:39

At 3/24/13 09:33 PM, ADHD-Rebel wrote: Hey there, guys.

3. Random tips?

1.)I suggest messing around in ableton. FL Studio is great and the UI is super-accessible. But Ableton is easily the most powerful and best sounding, imo. (Massive & Reason plug-ins are an added bonus)

2.)Practice practice, and practice. Depends on what you're into, though. Certain people are sequence junkies, others like to play and sequence. When I started I would actually hum a tune in my head then individually pull my notations until it was right. Now, after two years of practice on Piano & Theory, I'm far more versatile, but hopefully you have a bit of an understanding with Guitar (it's a big plus).

3.)If you're serious, Double Major in Music and Recording Arts when the time comes. (you won't make money, ever, but you'll get snatch)

Hope that helps, any individual questions you can PM me.

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-03-29 14:05:22

Some general advice for newbies:

1) There is no perfect DAW. It's all about what gives you the best workflow, what you feel most comfortable using. Take the time to really learn the one you have. They are highly complex pieces of software and there will be times you want to scream because you can't work out how to sidechain, or edit notes in the piano roll, or set up group tracks. Be prepared for a steep learning curve, and don't let it put you off.

2) Try not to download a million and one VSTs from the get-go. You will become overwhelmed and you will not learn how to program them all. Restrict yourself to a few initially and really learn how to get the sounds you want from them.

3) Only copy other artists' techniques and sounds as part of a learning process. Find out how they created certain effects and apply that knowledge to your own music, but don't try to sound like them. They sound like them. Make sure you sound like you.

4) Persist. Keep practicing, keep learning. Take time to get to know your software and your instruments. Over time you will develop a work pattern and the creation process will become smoother. But - this is important - learn when to take a break from the music. Sometimes in moments of frustration it's best just to save your work, quit, and return with fresh ears the next day, week or month.

5) Accept constructive criticism with good grace and learn from it. It's annoying to learn that our latest masterpiece has muddy mids, crappy kicks, or substandard singing, but it's an opportunity to improve on your craft, one that shouldn't necessarily be brushed off as a 'wrong' opinion.

6) Don't start off thinking that you're going to become the next big thing. Everyone and their dog is now a bedroom producer. Even if your music is truly awesome you'll probably go unnoticed amongst the masses of amateur hopefuls, unless you're really, really lucky and get a break. Do it because you love it, not because you want to be rich and famous.

7) Above all, have fun!

Response to Advice For A Beginner? 2013-04-01 19:56:43

If you post to soundcloud, try cloudkillers. It's a comment-for-comment type of site, and if people know you're looking for tips and feedback, they'll try and help you. Lots of professional producers there, too :D

Free album downloads below!

Of Beauties and Beasts

Electronic orchestra