00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Games that didn't deserve sequels?

3,299 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Lost Planet and that game came with my XFX 8800 gts 320mb card for free when I purchased it. I felt this game while at the time had great graphics, was just not that good of a game story-wise and the voice acting in it was kind of bad. I don't use my XFX 8800gts 320mb card anymore, I'm on a Gigabyte 570 gtx now.

http://www.cheatcc.com/extra/top10badgamesthatmadealotofmone y.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campai gn=zergnet_46676#.UU3snr7Nnq5

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 16:14:28

Well i think any game deserves a sequel as long as the developers try hard to improve its quality after all there have been good sequel from bad games like hitman 2 and assassins creed too (if you didnt like the first one)

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 18:24:54

Final Fantasy 13.

The entire sequel to it was just the developers admitting that they fucked up big-time on the gameplay side of the original. While, at the same time, not really doing much better with said sequel either.

"OK, so the corridor has a few branches now? Oh wow, you guys must've really had to think hard about that one."

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 19:42:06

Epic Mickey.

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 21:10:38

Considering that the first Driver was one of the best Playstation games ever made, and then the second and third games came out and totally sank the franchise, Driver did not deserve to have a sequel that godawful.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 21:23:36

Assassin's Creed

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 21:39:12

At 3/23/13 09:04 PM, Protagonist wrote: Half Life

In before COD.

it may be hard to believe, but the first one is actually a good game.

I think you're referring to the second one, which does suck.

filler text

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 21:46:25

Gears of War Judgement shouldn't have happened.

I love the series but fuck, let it go.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-23 22:09:29

There's far too many to list here but my personal choice is Battle Arena Toshinden. It was terrible.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 08:36:24

The entire set of EA Games sport series.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 11:31:13

At 3/23/13 07:42 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: Epic Mickey.

Yup. this game was super anticipated but came off as a lame kiddie game. It was suppose to have that energy like "Kingdom Hearts" where it was great for kids but mature enough for the older guys but it fell flat on its face with that fucking camera.

Junction Point could of survived if they left this series alone

LORD OF CHEESEBURGERS mobile coming soon, ya little yentas

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 13:09:15

At 3/23/13 09:39 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
At 3/23/13 09:04 PM, Protagonist wrote: Half Life

In before COD.
it may be hard to believe, but the first one is actually a good game.

I think you're referring to the second one, which does suck.

I liked the second CoD, and the VERY first modern warfare was kind of interesting imho. CoD still sucks though.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 13:29:41

Sniper Ghost Warrior, Crysis, Fable, Jak 2, Any of the direct Final Fantasy sequels, X-2 most of all.

Sniper was the most generic, soulless sludge I've ever seen. Crysis and Fable just got worse. I lost interest in Jak & Daxter after the first game, it went from a platformer to a GTA clone. X-2 was completely unnecessary and only made X's story worse in every way.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 13:41:11

At 3/24/13 01:29 PM, Jackho wrote: Sniper Ghost Warrior, Crysis, Fable, Jak 2, Any of the direct Final Fantasy sequels, X-2 most of all.

Sniper was the most generic, soulless sludge I've ever seen. Crysis and Fable just got worse. I lost interest in Jak & Daxter after the first game, it went from a platformer to a GTA clone. X-2 was completely unnecessary and only made X's story worse in every way.

X-2 had solid game play and X was certainly a good game. The heavy handed fan service is what hurt it.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 15:08:07

At 3/24/13 08:36 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: The entire set of EA Games sport series.

I was going to bring this one up as well.

It would be perfectly understandable if they come up with a new game after every release of a new console, but these series don't need sequels every year.

On the other hand, apparently people keep buying the games so I guess you can't really blame them.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 17:33:45

At 3/24/13 11:52 AM, Wunderbar wrote: i wouldn't say Dead Space didn't deserve a sequel, but the second and third were a real blight.

3rd one was the Worst in my opinion.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 17:36:34

im surprised "The witcher" and "2 worlds" weren't mentioned

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 17:55:14

At 3/24/13 05:36 PM, kakalxlax wrote: im surprised "The witcher" and "2 worlds" weren't mentioned

can't really get tired of The Witcher series tho, its like Demon Souls to me

LORD OF CHEESEBURGERS mobile coming soon, ya little yentas

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-24 21:15:27

All the different variations of Street Fighter 4 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 should have been the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 3

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-25 11:08:35

At 3/24/13 01:41 PM, Ceratisa wrote: X-2 had solid game play and X was certainly a good game. The heavy handed fan service is what hurt it.

Solid gameplay? Hardly, the combat was ass in comparison to X and you're just running through the exact same levels you already spent a hundred hours in. The plot is what hurt it.

Not only are we meant to accept that Tidus was a "dream" but now they tell us there was an actual tidus that existed, and still exists, and is evil, and there's also another yuna he's in love with, which means yuna must be a dream based on someone else too, so then is everyone based on someone else? Was Auron a real person? Did he know he was bringing a dream back to spira or did he think tidus was shuyin? Was Jecht actually Tidus' father or shuyin's? Was jecht a dream too? was it the actual jecht that disappeared to spira or was it his dream? Does dream zanarkand still exist? Why do people insist on using balls to record vital information with the quality of an overused VHS? This entire plot, it just shat all over X and it's lore and made X's plot holes more obvious.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-25 15:12:12

At 3/25/13 11:08 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 3/24/13 01:41 PM, Ceratisa wrote: X-2 had solid game play and X was certainly a good game. The heavy handed fan service is what hurt it.
Solid gameplay? Hardly, the combat was ass in comparison to X and you're just running through the exact same levels you already spent a hundred hours in. The plot is what hurt it.

all FF combat systems are shit compared with FFX's
the point of this post was to mark games whose first version were bad, not its sequel. but i agree FFX-2 was an insult in every way. and furthermore, every FF that came after X, because they didnt use FFX's combat system, which is the best cs of all FF

This entire plot, it just shat all over X and it's lore and made X's plot holes more obvious.

X's plot is fine (better than most worshiped FFs actually), but FF2 was entire shit. first because 90% of the game you are making random quests. they ruined every character. they made that fantasy world into a weird japan. then they created the "sphere hunter" profession that makes no sense whatsoever as spheres are basically old family vhs. i mean, who in hell would pay for that? maybe only if they found some ancient-old one, but still. they just said "hey lets forget about (your character's name (aka tidus)) was a dream, lets make him reappear somehow for no reason, not like we could have him immediately "reborn", no, lets put yuna thou a corky and unnecessary adventure first "
ruined combat system, reused maps, ridiculous characters, etc, etc

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-25 16:50:24

The Megaman Franchise should have died years ago.

Games that didn't deserve sequels?

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-26 00:37:15

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, given the number of times I've said that Luigi's Mansion is shit and in a better multiverse it wouldn't have existed, but Luigi's Mansion. I haven't played the sequel, and I don't plan to unless I find it for like $5 somewhere down the line (or my brother decides to get it for one reason or another to play on my 3DS, or something), but the original is probably my least favorite game that I've ever played all the way through. And I know a lot of people like it, fine, if that's your thing, I guess Nintendo deserves the money you'll give them, if only because they make so many better games. But in my opinion, Luigi's Mansion was a horrible game, completely undeserving of a sequel.

Also, within The Legend of Zelda, I feel like I've made this complaint before, but we really didn't need TWO fucking sequels to The Wind Waker. Spirit Tracks at least was good, haven't gotten around to Phantom Hourglass, but really. We didn't need to see any more of Toon Link. We didn't need to see any more of Toon Zelda. And even if we did, my opinion is that their first game certainly didn't indicate that we needed to see them again. I know The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker has a lot of fans, and, again, Nintendo deserves your money, those guys publish Pokémon and the good Zelda games so they deserve ALL your money. But the game in question itself was far too monotonous, especially the last third of it which was just one big fetch quest on the endless sea. Not to mention how I feel to this day that Ganondorf had a point: Hyrule was a land rich in resources of all kinds, but to stop one man from conquering it, the gods flooded it and turned it into a fishless sea, drove some of its people to barren mountaintops and left the rest to drown, basically abandoning the people. Every complaint that antitheists have about the Abrahamic God is RIGHT THERE in the actions of Hyrule's deities. Ganondorf may have been bad, I played Ocarina of Time so I'm not going to deny that, but he only drove the people of one town out to another town with a few zombies, drove a princess into exile, froze a river, and had a few Gorons locked up for treason against the new ruler of Hyrule. Standard (if decidedly not righteous) conqueror routine. And he kidnapped a few girls while looking for the Princess while trying to get control again. Evil? Yes. Definitely. But I still say he's better for Hyrule than the legitimate gods: Ganondorf at least didn't kill what was almost certainly the majority of the population when he conquered them. At least, he's better as they're portrayed in WW. The developers did a much better job of making Ganondorf seem like the real villain and the gods seem benevolent if distant in TP (albeit at the cost of making Zant a mere underling, which is a common complaint against the game). When a game makes its protagonist seem like they're working for someone worse than the antagonist, it's supposed to be an artistic decision to make the world seem bleaker and less hopeful, not the result of fridge logic. And that's why they should have continued Twilight Princess instead of The Wind Waker: say what you will about TP being hijacked by Ganon, it at least makes its villains as evil as it tries to make them, and doesn't spend the fourth quarter fumbling on every play.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-26 05:42:05

I suppose that SW:The force unleashed didn't deserve any sequel. Most of the times they're making sequels just for money X_X And the case with SW:TFU is the same - it basicaly has the same things like the first game but more of them, hyh.

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-26 18:11:39

guitar hero after number 3

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-26 20:30:08

At 3/24/13 03:08 PM, Auz wrote:
At 3/24/13 08:36 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: The entire set of EA Games sport series.
I was going to bring this one up as well.

It would be perfectly understandable if they come up with a new game after every release of a new console, but these series don't need sequels every year.

I have to disagree, although it is true that maybe they don't need to release the game every year, it would be nice to release the next installment maybe every other year as rosters are constantly changing.

I also have to say any CoD game after CoD 4.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-26 20:42:22

At 3/23/13 04:14 PM, FrostGuardian wrote: Well i think any game deserves a sequel as long as the developers try hard to improve its quality after all there have been good sequel from bad games like hitman 2 and assassins creed too (if you didnt like the first one)

What if instead of that they just actually made a new fucking game?

I really, really wish developers would focus more on follow-ups than on sequels (or that publishers/consumers would allow them to). It just seems like total wasted potential when you have some of the brightest minds in the mainstream of the medium, able to work with a triple-A budget, and then instead of seeing what new and exciting ideas they can cook up, you just have them remake their last big game only now it's in the sky instead of underwater.

It's a really disappointing cycle, and we're missing out on a lot of potentially great, unique games because of it.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-27 03:37:08

At 3/25/13 04:50 PM, kisame wrote: The Megaman Franchise should have died years ago.

Heh, I was going to bring up Mega Man X. But also every other spin off from any original series shouldn't get their own sequels. It's just too confusing.

Also, Legend of Zelda. I know, people most likely are like "WTF?" now, but I never liked any of those games... and the timeline is just fucked up beyond any hope anyway.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-27 04:56:13

Oh btw, one more game that really deserves a sequel is SiN. They started a series of episodes but it was canceled due to budgetary issues right before the second one. I remember the first episode being great though, would've liked to see more of those!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Games that didn't deserve sequels? 2013-03-27 05:59:19

Where is all of this sudden hate of Half Life 2 cominv from?

At 3/23/13 10:09 PM, VoidForce wrote: There's far too many to list here but my personal choice is Battle Arena Toshinden. It was terrible.

I haven't played that since I was a kid, but I rmember liking it back then.

At 3/24/13 09:15 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: All the different variations of Street Fighter 4 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 should have been the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 3

I still insist that MVC2 was better, in both gameplay and roster. My main team was always Guile, Jin, and Wolverine.

At 3/24/13 01:29 PM, Jackho wrote: Sniper Ghost Warrior, Crysis, Fable, Jak 2, Any of the direct Final Fantasy sequels, X-2 most of all.

I'm really enjoying Crysis 2. I'm looking forward to playing Crysis 3, even though I heard what happens to Alcatraz and I think it's bullshit. I agree with Fable, though. The first one was better. And FFX-2 is just baffling. I understand what you're saying about Jak 2, but I liked it...at least until my copy stopped working.

At 3/27/13 04:56 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Oh btw, one more game that really deserves a sequel is SiN.

I wish they ported that to PS2. I wanted to play it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature