00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

When it comes to classic films

2,066 Views | 28 Replies

When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 13:05:23

Ever notice how whenever people thinks of a classic, they always think of a musical. It's like a cliche where every classic films are musicals, what is up with that?

Then again, I do have a mental image of the characters from Saving Private Ryan dancing around singing "This is it!" by Kenny Loggins right before the final battle starts.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 13:06:46

Casablanca had like one song in it and that's considered to be one of the best movies ever.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 13:15:34

At 3/21/13 01:06 PM, HighWay wrote: Casablanca had like one song in it and that's considered to be one of the best movies ever.

I personally think it's consider amoing the best because of Humphrey Bogart, he was a huge star at the time and it also became his signature role.

Plus the line at the end of the film became well known as well.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 13:18:49

12 Angry Men comes to my mind when I think of classic film, and that isn't a musical.

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 13:37:54

What about the Alfred Hitchcock movies? They're considered classics but they aren't musicals.

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 13:42:05

Citizen Kane is supposed to be the greatest movie of all time, and it isn't a musical.

Protect the Muska.

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 13:46:10

When I say classic, I mean old Jackie Chan movies. I mean the kind of movies were it wasn't uncommon that stuntdoubles actually died or suffered serious injuries. Knowing that, and watching the movies, is a raw experience.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 15:20:39

At 3/21/13 01:36 PM, Entice wrote: If that's true, then people have shit taste in movies.
I can't for the life of me sit through a musical.

There's plenty of classic films that aren't musicals.

That or they tend to be overexposed to musicals while growing up, I blame the 1950s and 60s for that.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 15:34:04

At 3/21/13 01:36 PM, Entice wrote: If that's true, then people have shit taste in movies.
I can't for the life of me sit through a musical.

a Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
8 Crazy Nights
remake of the Producers (original is better, but not a musical)

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 17:29:25

There are a ton of classic films that aren't musicals.
Granted I will admit that some films deemed "classic" are. But not all of them are.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 17:47:13

To be honest, I don't where you got that thought from.

It's true that there are quite a number of classic films that contain musical elements, like The Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain and The Sound of Music. Nowadays you hardly see that anymore, so people might relate that to classic films.

However, not everybody is ALWAYS talking about musicals when discussing classic films, right? I could pile up a pretty big list of popular classics that have no singing in them whatsoever.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 18:27:48

At 3/21/13 05:47 PM, Xenomit wrote: My favorite movies of all time are some of the most hated movies

You're not going to reveal which ones?

Curiosity manifests...

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 18:31:50

At 3/21/13 05:47 PM, Xenomit wrote: My favorite movies of all time are some of the most hated movies

...like?

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 19:03:55

At 3/21/13 01:05 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Ever notice how whenever people thinks of a classic, they always think of a musical. It's like a cliche where every classic films are musicals, what is up with that?

I guess back in those days, musicals were just as popular as movies were, considering that musicals were usually cheaper than A-list movies. Although movies like Citizen Kane, The Sound of Music and The Godfather were not musicals or were adapted from a musical, {Don't know if SoM was a musical before} and those are generally known as the best movies of their respective time period, if not of all time.

I never cared for musicals myself, so I can't really tell whether a musical is adapted into a movie or not.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 19:33:45

At 3/21/13 01:06 PM, HighWay wrote: Casablanca had like one song in it and that's considered to be one of the best movies ever.

It is one of the best movies ever. I'm usually not one for songs, especially in movies, but that one really fit, imo.

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 19:33:48

At 3/21/13 07:32 PM, ean5 wrote: I've always liked this old film before it became popular

When was that NOT popular?

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 20:52:50

At 3/21/13 07:45 PM, ean5 wrote:
At 3/21/13 07:33 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 3/21/13 07:32 PM, ean5 wrote: I've always liked this old film before it became popular
When was that NOT popular?
Well it was originally a book. I think most people, at least my age and not the older generation never saw it or heard of it before the remake was released. I hated the remake, it was not a accurate depiction of the story.

Like 80% of the people I know who are my age if not a few years younger than me have seen that movie at least once.
I don't think there was ever a time it hasn't been popular in the entire 42 years since the movie was released. And the almost 50 years since the book was released.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 22:20:30

At 3/21/13 07:25 PM, Xenomit wrote:
Forest Gump

Dammit, I know I'm forgetting a few

Those who called Forrest Gump "Subpar" are either retarded, have shit taste in movies, or read too much into the film thinking it has a political agenda against liberals.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 22:24:29

At 3/21/13 07:25 PM, Xenomit wrote: The entire matrix series
The entire lord of the rings series
Forest Gump

I firmly believe that most of the hate these movies get is a direct result of all the praise and positive attention they have received, and not actually deserved based on the merits of the movies themselves.

Some people will hate anything the moment more than 10 people say it's good

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:13:08

At 3/21/13 10:24 PM, Tremulos wrote: I firmly believe that most of the hate these movies get is a direct result of all the praise and positive attention they have received, and not actually deserved based on the merits of the movies themselves.

That's probably true to some small extent, but really people just like to say this as an easy out, a way to marginalize dissenting opinions without actually engaging with them. There are many valid critiques to be made about all of those movies, and in fact I dislike most of them, too (I like the LotR movies well enough and I love the first Matrix). Instead of just discounting those opinions, isn't it better to discuss them? You can easily spot who's just part of a backlash bandwagon because they won't have anything else to say.

If there's a common theme between all of these movies listed here, it's that they're all huge splashy visual spectacles that are ultimately all style and no substance. They dazzle audiences when they first come out and garner mostly positive opinions as a result, but it's a shallow enchantment that wears off over time, and then people start to notice and pick apart the deeper flaws. I mean, I really loved Avatar and Forrest Gump the first time I saw them. The second time around, not so much.

At 3/21/13 10:20 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Those who called Forrest Gump "Subpar" are either retarded, have shit taste in movies, or read too much into the film thinking it has a political agenda against liberals.

Haha, what? That movie is treacly, manipulative, baby boomer-fellating bullshit. Well-made bullshit, but still. It's a fun movie, and I don't outright hate it, but come on, let's at least be honest about it.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:18:14

Well you can't outright dismiss a film for being flashy. Yes style over substance is a thing but film is a visual medium. It's part of the tool kit to tell the story. If you're going to ignore that aspect all together then you have a very limited genre of claustrophobic talkers. Are there great films like that, yes, but not all great films are. Clerks and T2 are both good flicks.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:20:52

At 3/21/13 11:13 PM, Dr-Worm wrote:

At 3/21/13 10:20 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Those who called Forrest Gump "Subpar" are either retarded, have shit taste in movies, or read too much into the film thinking it has a political agenda against liberals.
Haha, what? That movie is treacly, manipulative, baby boomer-fellating bullshit. Well-made bullshit, but still. It's a fun movie, and I don't outright hate it, but come on, let's at least be honest about it.

You're probably one of the few who thinks that.

Believe me, it was accused of being a conservative propaganda.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:23:17

That movie was popular before you were born.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:34:05

At 3/21/13 11:18 PM, stafffighter wrote: Well you can't outright dismiss a film for being flashy.

I'm not. There are plenty of flashy, purely visually entertaining films that I love. I like action movies and cartoons and musicals and big-budget epics as much as anyone, but the spectacle has to complement good story construction and coherent stylistic choices, not replace them. The movies listed in that post do other things wrong that I feel ultimately deflate their visual pleasures for me and undermine the whole film (another common theme in those movies: delusional, smug pretensions of deeper meaning, my biggest pet peeve in all pop culture).

Yes style over substance is a thing but film is a visual medium. It's part of the tool kit to tell the story. If you're going to ignore that aspect all together then you have a very limited genre of claustrophobic talkers. Are there great films like that, yes, but not all great films are. Clerks and T2 are both good flicks.

I totally agree. I'm just saying that these kinds of visual spectacle films are by their nature more prone to initial popularity and later backlash, and that those criticisms can be and usually are legitimate.

At 3/21/13 11:20 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Believe me, it was accused of being a conservative propaganda.

Are you sure about that? That seems really fucking bizarre and I've never come across that argument before. Links? I'm not arguing with you or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:35:16

You'd better call Kenny Loggins, 'cause you're in the danger zone.

Get it?

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:49:24

At 3/21/13 11:34 PM, Dr-Worm wrote:

Are you sure about that? That seems really fucking bizarre and I've never come across that argument before. Links? I'm not arguing with you or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

The criticisms came in 1990s so it will be tough to find, I'll look it up tomorrow.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-21 23:56:30

maybe you have not seen alot of them because i seen lots and dont think of just a musical theres lots somant great scenes and actors.

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-22 05:03:25

At 3/21/13 07:25 PM, Xenomit wrote: Dammit, I know I'm forgetting a few

You probably forgot the hated ones. :) Apart from Avatar, which I really do hate (unless you're talking about the Airbender Avatar) that's a list of classics. Was a bit disappointed with the Matrix Revolutions but it did have some great fight scenes. As for Transformers, the first one was the only one I really liked, it was just perfect; after that it looks like it just kept rolling on old intrigues.

BBS Signature

Response to When it comes to classic films 2013-03-22 16:40:44

At 3/21/13 11:56 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: maybe you have not seen alot of them because i seen lots and dont think of just a musical theres lots somant great scenes and actors.

Read carefully and you'll know I was referring to the general assumptions that classics are musicals.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature