00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

liazx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Going hardcore !

1,033 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Going hardcore ! 2013-02-27 19:47:16

Tons of games have an "hardcore mode", and I was wondering if anybody in the VG Forums experienced any game in those modes. Sometimes hardcore is not a mode in the actual game, but rather a challenge players would put themselves through. Some of those being discussed a lot, they are often refered to as hardcore mode by many who play the game.

Examples of such games are Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate and other RPGs like these.

I also know that some games like the first Legend Of Zelda do not have actual hardcore more per se. But some players went through the game without ever getting the sword.

If you have experienced a game like this or if you know any other challenging or hardcore ways to play some videogames, just share it here :)

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-27 21:06:19

I'm doing Vault Hunter mode in Boarderlands 2 if that's what you mean.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-27 21:38:39

At 2/27/13 09:06 PM, HighWay wrote: I'm doing Vault Hunter mode in Boarderlands 2 if that's what you mean.

What's that ?

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-27 21:42:40

At 2/27/13 09:38 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 2/27/13 09:06 PM, HighWay wrote: I'm doing Vault Hunter mode in Boarderlands 2 if that's what you mean.
What's that ?

it's basically a New Game+ sort of mode. you keep all your shit from the first play through but the enemies are way higher leveled

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-28 07:47:32

I once played thorugh MGS2 on "European extreme".

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-28 08:55:44

Vault Hunter mode is totally hardcore. Hardcore New Vegas aswell.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-28 14:31:02

I've done Insanity or whatever it is on Mass Effect 2, never beat it though with that difficulty.
I'm going to do hardcore on Red Dead Redemption eventually.
I think it's something I'll do during the summer when I have more time to tackle games.

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-28 16:00:24

The Doom and Quake series both have Nightmare modes that are, as they describe them, 'not even remotely fair'. I think I managed to complete the first episode of Doom in Nightmare, but everything after that is just insane.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-28 16:14:55

I went through the hard modes in Metroid Prime 1 and 2. The hard modes in those games didn't feel all that difficult though. You notice enemies have more health, but I don't remember facing any real difficulties getting through the game for a second time.

Other than that I've finished all the missions of Goldeneye 007 in 00 agent mode, which felt insanely difficult when I was a kid. Not sure if I'd still think it's so hard now.

Usually I play games on normal mode if given the option, so I haven't tried that many games on their highest difficulty setting.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-28 17:23:39

The most hardcore I've ever gotten with a game was hardcore mode on Terraria. I must admit it was an interesting experience. A very frustrating one, but interesting nonetheless.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-02-28 23:03:51

At 2/28/13 07:47 AM, Mismo wrote: I once played thorugh MGS2 on "European extreme".

Just read about it. That's pretty hardcore :)

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 15:29:45

If it's not available in game than it's okay to go ahead and improvise on difficulty by self.

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 15:49:18

There's a hardcore mode in Fallout: New Vegas which means you have to monitor your food, water and sleep levels. You also don't have your heals work instantly, your health restores over a few seconds. There's a few other features to it as well that make the difficulty greater. What's interesting about it though is that you have the difficulty level (5 different ones) and hardcore mode is separate. You can be playing in Very Easy with Hardcore mode on and so on. It's a nice touch.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 19:01:58

Sometimes when I play the original Tetris, I start the game on level 10. I think that if I start like this and I get up to level 14, anything above I consider to be "Hardcore Mode".

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 19:26:28

God Hand on "Hard" difficulty.

Normally in God Hand, the game adapts to how well you're playing. If you're dealing a lot of damage very quickly while not taking any yourself, the enemies will become more aggressive, will counter attack more often, and will use stronger attacks. If you're getting hammered, they'll stop attacking if they're not in your line of sight, will not counter, and will use weaker attacks. If you're playing as well as you possibly can, the difficulty changes to "DIE!" and standard enemies kill you in 2 or 3 hits, stronger enemies spawn than normal, and they're much more likely to counter you.

If you play on "Hard", it's always set to "DIE!".

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 19:40:02

Acquire Dark Souls. The game is hard enough on its own with all of the New Game+'s you can go into. And even then they have challenges, like getting through New Game + ( where the difficulty is significantly increased ) with a character only at level 1.

Ninja Gaiden SIgma series is crazy hard although I haven't played the 3rd one and I really don't want to. I can get through the normal mode on there but dear lord just playing Hard mode is well.... really damn hard.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 23:34:45

I thought hardcore on FO:NV was a breeze.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 23:37:53

At 3/3/13 11:34 PM, Jin wrote: I thought hardcore on FO:NV was a breeze.

Thank you, at least I'm not the only one.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-03 23:48:02

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-06 01:00:02

You want the real hardcore game? Fallout: New Vegas, Very Hard difficulty, Hardcore mode, Caesar's Legion all the way. It may be sorta easy at first, but when the NCR Veteran Rangers show up you'll be begging God for mercy. Getting plugged by Anti-Material .50 caliber Sniper Rifles from a hundred feet away, taking 150% damage and doing 50% damage, having to deal with food, water, and sleep. Plus Stimpaks don't heal instantly.

It teaches you many things. One of those things is that the best things in life will kick your teeth in before they love you.

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-06 01:05:19

At 3/3/13 11:37 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 3/3/13 11:34 PM, Jin wrote: I thought hardcore on FO:NV was a breeze.
Thank you, at least I'm not the only one.

Keeping a steady supply of food, water, etc. was simple if you bothered to actually check the places you were in.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-06 21:20:45

At 2/28/13 07:47 AM, Mismo wrote: I once played thorugh MGS2 on "European extreme".

I have seen videos about that mode and heard stories. Sounds hardcore.

I'm playing MGS3 on very hard. I'm so going to use the trick to kill The End early so I don't have to put up with him later

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Going hardcore ! 2013-03-07 19:51:33

At 2/28/13 08:55 AM, simon wrote:
Vault Hunter mode is totally hardcore. Hardcore New Vegas aswell.

Hardcore in New Vegas actually made the game better. I'm just bummed out all you get was an achievement. Nevertheless a fun way to play the game

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature