00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why is NES is so hard?

4,743 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 11:45:46

Why the hell did they make the Original NES games so freaking hard?

A lot of the games are cheap and there's 0 ways to avoid getting hit at all. I been playing Batman Nes, and that game is incredibly cheap. I can't get passed the 3rd Stage! Why does it seem they purposely made these games so hard for people to run out and cheat to get GameShark?

I don't like cheating in games but the way they made these Nes games ridiculously difficult makes me think Nintendo may have owned the rights to GameShark or profited off people buying one. A lot of these games could have been funner to play if it were not for cheap hits, cheap deaths. Is it just bad programming or did they purposely make these games this difficult?

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 11:53:51

I don't think that gameshark existed around the time Nes was out it was Game Genie mainly. Those games were probably made hard to make The games have a longer time to beat gaming was new at the so it would have normally need some problem solving skils

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 12:12:33

because back then only gamers played video games. Gamers liked challenge.

Also, games tended to be shorter back then, so extreme difficulty was a way of padding them out and getting more of your moneys worth out of them.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 12:16:17

Because back then games were short. So they would artificially lengthen the games with cheap deaths and unavoidable damage.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 12:39:54

Because back then A) people had balls B) Games were made for people who didn't have particularly busy social lives C) It wasn't a given that you should be able to finish a game you'd paid for.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"

"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 12:55:40

At 2/26/13 12:39 PM, Trambamboline wrote: Because back then A) people had balls B) Games were made for people who didn't have particularly busy social lives C) It wasn't a given that you should be able to finish a game you'd paid for.

I heard Nes games went for 40-60 bucks back in the 80's. Is that true? That is pretty expensive for a game they didn't expect you to beat.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 13:05:55

Im gonna sum up:
-Since games were new they had no idea how to make the well.
-Games were small, but still $40 per game, developers wanted people to feel like they got their moneys worth. You could beat the average NES game in less than an hour due to size limitations.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 13:29:57

At 2/26/13 12:55 PM, TheKlown wrote: I heard Nes games went for 40-60 bucks back in the 80's. Is that true? That is pretty expensive for a game they didn't expect you to beat.

I can't say for certain, since all my experience of NES era gaming came from the 90s, and my games would have been bought by my parents, so perhaps they were cheaper at that time. All I know is whenever me or any other kid I knew would get a game we all shared the feeling of "Wow, I hope I can beat this game!" which isn't really around any more.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"

"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 13:55:18

At 2/26/13 12:12 PM, Darthdenim wrote: because back then only gamers played video games. Gamers liked challenge.

That makes no sense, there were only a small amount of gamers as compared to today, and most of them were kids or young teenagers. Plus, there were still families who played on the NES back then that wouldn't be considered the gamer demographic.

The real reason why most NES games were hard is partly due to the fact that the technology is nowhere near as advanced as it is now, or even 15 years ago, and most, if not all of them weren't familiar with video games, so it was pretty much a case of trial and error, which in turn pretty much became the Wild West period of game development, when everyone and their brother could make a game.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 14:31:59

Because if you took away the difficulty there is not really that much gameplay. Like what is what is timer on super mario bros usual set on, like 300 seconds or so? That's about 5mins of gameplay per level at a maximum, and approximatively a good 2 and half hours of gameplay and the max. But no ordinary gamer will beat it without dying and getting a game over and having to restart the whole thing again, so thanks to that extreme difficulty you can get a lot more hours out of the game, when it is in reality very short.

As goes with RPGs at the time, where you would sooner or later met that one boss/enemey which seems like it is impossible to beat. What do you do? You grind until you've poured more hours into it than most would do on modern RPGs. But then again, without the difficulty it is rather short.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 16:06:38

Because in the old days, life was hard.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 19:23:35

Artificial difficulty, and not many save systems.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 21:50:41

It's funny though. Some of the newest games are the easiest. I remember my best buddy back in college bragging that he beat zelda 64 without dying once. I've done it over and over. You can't really do that with the originals. Heck, it's almost necessary when you play adventure of link.
I also think it's more of the fact that they put so much into graphics, music and (Sometimes) storytelling that they don't have much in the way of a real challenge anymore.
You talk about things like challenge, have you ever played mega man 2 and beat the dragon? that's some hard stuff. Tough platforming combined with a decent combat system. Gah! We sound like old people. "Back in the good ol' days..."

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 22:40:07

At 2/26/13 09:50 PM, Mrccbirdguy wrote:
I also think it's more of the fact that they put so much into graphics, music and (Sometimes) storytelling that they don't have much in the way of a real challenge anymore.

I do think storytelling is a big reason why games aren't hard anymore. They are more concerned with pushing the story forward that giving a decent challenge.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-26 22:43:55

this freaking game...

Man, you have no idea.

It's good, though

Why is NES is so hard?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-27 00:50:09

At 2/26/13 10:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: this freaking game...

Man, you have no idea.

Oh but i do

Why is NES is so hard?

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-27 13:52:14

I was talking about playing Super Contra with my one Nephew, and he said they'd have no problem playing it because they're good at Call of Duty. It made me chuckle because I know that Call Of Duty is cakewalk compared to any Contra game on the NES.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-27 14:27:41

try melting it with fire or somting and see if its still hard haha!

~ Mr. Tembo, Ultimate Elephant (Become a fan)

remembre my name!

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-27 15:03:17

They were hard because the testers were the developers most of the time. So when you constantly test your game when developing it, you become a pro at it and don't realize it. I think it's also because that was the only way to offer a decent playback life for the games back then, since you couldn't do anything else because technology back then was pretty limited back then, especially for consumer electronics.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-27 23:59:27

I never played the first Contra, but I loved Contra 3. Playing a ROM of that game without a gamepad is a pain, though, when you get to the top-down levels.

At 2/27/13 12:50 AM, ViceFullbuster wrote:

Man, you have no idea.
Oh but i do

hah. I've heard about that game's notoriety and how hard it is. It looks pretty good, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-28 03:36:31

The reason NES games were so hard was because back then, more people knew more things about game design and actually cared about giving people a challenge while not taking 4 months allowance. Not to mention nowadays developers follow Simons Quest as an example for some retarded reason and just try to make things take longer, not making it difficult in reality but just making it take longer making you feel like its difficult, while in reality you are repeating the same thing you did 10 minutes ago in a diffrent form. Capcom for example, designed their games around the path people tried to take while just trying to plow through the game, meaning that if you dont stop for a second and analyze the situation, you will be obliterated.

Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.

Cheap Voice acting/Narrator voiceovers!

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-28 05:31:58

At 2/27/13 06:33 PM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: NES games aren't really that hard, though they do tend to have constant trial and error. Games like Ghosts'n Goblins and Ninja Gaiden were only hard because you didn't know what was coming, and die constantly while only moving slightly farther than before. Also, The patterns of enemies and bosses are incredibly simple. Plus, some games like Castlevania just make you way too powerful to even have an issue with the bosses. An example would be going through the entirety of level 5 with the holy water and optaining the Triple Shot to completely demolish Death.

Ghosts'n'Goblins was hard because you could only get hit twice, and there were alot of things coming at you. Reacting fast enough to avoid ALL of them was unlikely, even for a quick-witted person. On the topic of Ninja Gaiden, the reason that was difficult was the fact that things were fast as shit, you were forced to conserve your special ammunition and even if you did know what was coming, you would likely not react fast enough to avoid/kill it and even if you do, it respawns if its anywhere near the edge of the screen.
In the case of Castlevania, do you realise how insanely difficult it is to get to the Grim Reaper with holy water in the first place?
This is a basic presentation of why having holy water while you are trying to get to Death is a bad idea.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-02-28 05:35:41

Man, you have no idea.
It's good, though

Yeah actually me n my friend usually play it during the weekends when he has time, and holy mother of god is it difficult.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-03-01 08:15:54

At 2/27/13 12:50 AM, ViceFullbuster wrote:

Man, you have no idea.
Oh but i do
hah. I've heard about that game's notoriety and how hard it is. It looks pretty good, though.

Forgetting it's notoriety if you ever spent just one weekend with it as a rental as i did as a child you will have this image embedded into your mind for all eternity.

Why is NES is so hard?

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-03-01 18:44:52

I miss the old days..... I played NES games, but I grew up with the gameboy....kinda compareable.
but these days, games are so, different then they used to be with the nes and snes, they are easier, and more expensive.

It's a good thing nintendo and also sony have a service to download old games.

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-03-01 19:39:22

Because most previous generation games were nothing more than single-screen arcade games, which relied on increasing levels of difficulty.

Super Mario Bros was the first side-scrolling platformer ever made.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-03-02 06:08:30

When we were younger we didn't give a shit about not winning the game, we would just enjor the challenge and the levels we could get through.

Those who claim games need to be beatable for everyone now have absolutely no class.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-03-02 10:54:08

I always thought the increased difficulty was because most games back then were arcade ports, which were designed to kill over and over again so that you would have to keep paying them to continue playing.

Join the Magikarp Army.

Psn: Creepydentures , Mostly play fighting games(Mvc3, street fighter 3, JJBA)

3ds: 4382 - 2022 - 6462 - Simons

BBS Signature

Response to Why is NES is so hard? 2013-03-02 11:05:16

At 2/26/13 11:45 AM, TheKlown wrote: Why the hell did they make the Original NES games so freaking hard?

A lot of the games are cheap and there's 0 ways to avoid getting hit at all. I been playing Batman Nes, and that game is incredibly cheap. I can't get passed the 3rd Stage!

you can beat that game in under 11 minutes. it could just be that you suck