00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Vinyl

5,392 Views | 104 Replies

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 19:27:56

At 2/26/13 07:20 PM, Slint wrote: Heard plenty good things about it, but the whole deal is too expensive for me, plus I listen to music a lot on the go, at night and on the car, in none of these can I use the vinyl player.

You know it was at one point possible to get record players for cars right?

granted its mostly for older cars (like 50s and 60s) but it was (and i think it still is) available

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-26 19:29:16

At 2/26/13 07:27 PM, Viper50 wrote: You know it was at one point possible to get record players for cars right?
granted its mostly for older cars (like 50s and 60s) but it was (and i think it still is) available

Still too expensive, and I'm not carrying 10 vinyls to the car as I do with CDs.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 11:29:23

At 2/26/13 07:27 PM, Viper50 wrote: You know it was at one point possible to get record players for cars right?

How is that possible? What stops the needle from jumping all over the place?

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 11:29:44

At 2/26/13 11:53 AM, Dromedary wrote: coloured vinyl, only 200 in existence, ye bwoi

Pretttyyy.

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 11:54:53

At 2/27/13 11:29 AM, KevinHR wrote:
How is that possible? What stops the needle from jumping all over the place?

I don't remember exactly how they did it but it actually DID work quite well.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:08:02

OKAY, this is a SERIOUS, people!! Vinyl "vinyl" bullshit! ......is what i think, come on you now that it was vinyl from the 70 years. (1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 and 1975 that was when vinyl as popular)... so is a techology from many years ago, more than than 40 i tink. yes, a 40 year old techonlogy and u tink its more a good quality than a headset?!?!?

and i tougt u was smart.. newgrounds.. motherfuck. but NO! let me tell u why, bcuz u wrooong! digital is better digital is modern and u can all ways update software so its made more of it! and better improvement!! you see? not understand? there is stupid to use old technlogy instead of new and waist money. just download and get a good quality instead of the old tings from 1970 old songs old machine and old plate. the end of story. goodbye. i know what im talkin bout.

remembre my name!

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:12:18

At 2/27/13 12:08 PM, TheElephant wrote: OKAY, this is a SERIOUS, people!!

I'm not going to read this.

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:14:48

At 2/27/13 12:12 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote:

get teh fuck off the thread then.

remembre my name!

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:21:30

At 2/27/13 12:14 PM, TheElephant wrote:

Why? It's HIS thread.
Besides dumb fuck vinyl has been popular since it was first created which was a LOOOOOONG time before the 70s. And has never really gone down all that much in popularity. Please think before you speak next time. Because that last post of yours made you sound like an idiot.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:28:40

Massive massive waste of money, on a scale that is almost incomprehensible.

Plus it will take up space and time. Why?
That's like people with huge DVD / CD / Book / Video game collections.
You don't watch or play all of these. The resale value of all this crap is almost nothing and it's hard to get rid of.

Technology gave you the gift of digital media and people are still hoarding garbage, citing things like they "appreciate the cover art" and the "feel of books". You're just being a pack rat, get rid of all that shit, you don't need it.

Put your money in the bank, spend it on experiences ( vacations, restaurants, cool trips, bungee, dates... whatever ) or spend it on a hobby that improves your life or is long-term ( like a sport, gym membership, social clubs of some kind ).

In 10 years you'll have a big useless vinyl collection that you don't give a shit about, have to lug around every time you move and can't sell except at a huge loss. If you could trade it then for 5000$ in your bank account, you'd do it. SO do future you a favor. Don't get into this.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:32:03

At 2/27/13 12:21 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 2/27/13 12:14 PM, TheElephant wrote:
Why? It's HIS thread.
Besides dumb fuck vinyl has been popular since it was first created which was a LOOOOOONG time before the 70s. And has never really gone down all that much in popularity. Please think before you speak next time. Because that last post of yours made you sound like an idiot.

it is popular cuz dumb redards like u still use them cuz u tink its so good and everything. yah! no! but its old and headset can be update and new and better because u got all songs download.

remembre my name!

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:33:21

At 2/27/13 12:14 PM, TheElephant wrote: get teh fuck off the thread then.

heh

At 2/27/13 12:21 PM, Viper50 wrote: Why? It's HIS thread.

Thank you.

At 2/27/13 12:28 PM, poxpower wrote: Massive massive waste of money, on a scale that is almost incomprehensible.

Plus it will take up space and time. Why?

Did you read the thread? Don't ask things that you know don't have or ever will have a definitive answer. Vinyl is expensive, sure. This is apparent to everybody. Take up space and time? Isn't that the point?

The point is owning vinyl and enjoying it. Not anything else. I'm not concerned with resell value. Your posts are always so fucking opinionated. Grow up.

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:35:43

i like records.

Vinyl

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:41:10

At 2/27/13 12:28 PM, poxpower wrote: Massive massive waste of money, on a scale that is almost incomprehensible.

Finally, a voice of reason around here. It's really a shame that even Newgrounds isn't safe from the hipsters' internet takeover.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:41:27

At 2/27/13 12:08 PM, TheElephant wrote: post

Digital recordings are for the most part limited to CD quality which is compressed at 16-bit 44.1 KHz. (a standard established in the late 70's based on the storage capacity of CD's at that time) Since vinyl is analogue, it isn't subjected to digital compression and is therefore technically infinitely superior.

At 2/27/13 12:28 PM, poxpower wrote: Technology gave you the gift of digital media and people are still hoarding garbage, citing things like they "appreciate the cover art" and the "feel of books". You're just being a pack rat, get rid of all that shit, you don't need it.

Put your money in the bank, spend it on experiences ( vacations, restaurants, cool trips, bungee, dates... whatever ) or spend it on a hobby that improves your life or is long-term ( like a sport, gym membership, social clubs of some kind ).

I don't like vacations, restaurants, cool trips, bungee-jumping or dates and I especially hate sports, gymnasiums and social clubs.

In 10 years you'll have a big useless vinyl collection that you don't give a shit about, have to lug around every time you move and can't sell except at a huge loss. If you could trade it then for 5000$ in your bank account, you'd do it. SO do future you a favor. Don't get into this.

Ok, now it's getting ridiculous. For christs sake, it's a hobby. Your post is more troll-like than the one TheElephant wrote.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:46:19

At 2/27/13 12:41 PM, KevinHR wrote: I don't like vacations, restaurants, cool trips, bungee-jumping or dates and I especially hate sports, gymnasiums and social clubs.

If you're this boring and anti-social then it's no wonder you like shitty vinyl.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:48:50

At 2/27/13 12:28 PM, poxpower wrote: That's like people with huge DVD / CD / Book / Video game collections.
You don't watch or play all of these.
Technology gave you the gift of digital media and people are still hoarding garbage, citing things like they "appreciate the cover art" and the "feel of books". You're just being a pack rat, get rid of all that shit, you don't need it.

Holy shit this is so fucking wrong I can't even nnnggghhhhh

I expected this from Xenomit, and wouldn't say a thing if he said that, but god damn.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:49:15

At 2/27/13 12:41 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: Finally, a voice of reason around here. It's really a shame that even Newgrounds isn't safe from the hipsters' internet takeover.

not all hipsters like records, and not all people who like records are hipsters.

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:54:17

At 2/27/13 12:33 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
The point is owning vinyl and enjoying it. Not anything else. I'm not concerned with resell value. Your posts are always so fucking opinionated. Grow up.

Yeah that's because YOU ASKED FOR OPINIONS.
You seem to have some sad vendetta against me or the mod team in general.

At 2/27/13 12:34 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
Your apathy towards collecting explains your shit musical taste!

Meh I've collected a bunch of garbage in my teens and when I was a kid. Now it's just collecting dust in my apartment or my parent's house. I was pissed when my dad gave away my nintendo and my transformers, but now I understand that the kids who got them at the time were way happier with those than I was.

Almost everyone I've seen who collects things as an adult is just sad. It just becomes an addiction whereby they have to get a new thing for their collection regularly to be happy.
It's a pretty lame thing to have as a hobby because usually they don't share it with anyone else and it doesn't make them any better or knowledgeable. Like if you collect Elvis shit, you're not going to be "cultured", you're just going to be a dumbass because you spend 5 hours a day on your Elvis collection.

I've had way more fun spending my money on gifts, bike stuff, trips with friends, cool experiences etc. Plus, research shows that makes people happier overall anyway.

But yeah, ColorofAwesome, oh wise teenager with heavy depression problems, please indulge yourself in a large vinyl collection that surely will make you very happy as opposed to finding a hobby that makes you go outside your house.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 12:57:10

At 2/27/13 12:46 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: If you're this boring and anti-social then it's no wonder you like shitty vinyl.
At 2/27/13 12:41 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: Finally, a voice of reason around here. It's really a shame that even Newgrounds isn't safe from the hipsters' internet takeover.
At 2/26/13 08:11 AM, MrSoxfan wrote: Vinyl is for dumb trust fund hipsters and aging baby boomers who only bought the records because that's all there was. Since I don't fit into either group, I'll just stick with mp3s like a normal person.

Hahaha, So much aggression with no detection. Cry me a river you boring cunt. What do you know about vinyl beside not liking it? Have you actually thought about why do don't like it? Maybe you're just a little jealous that people are passionate about something you are not?

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:00:34

some people don't see the point of records, other people love them, end of. come on guys, this doesn't need to turn into a flame war, we can co-exist. anyway collecting vinyl has brought my friendship group closer together, whenever one of us gets a new record, the others are always straight over to check it out.

i think that's what i love about it, the whole interaction of putting on a whole album, it's more of an experience. for example, if i downloaded an MP3 and invited my friends to come over and listen to it, it would be ridiculous.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:01:57

At 2/27/13 12:54 PM, poxpower wrote: Meh I've collected a bunch of garbage in my teens and when I was a kid. Now it's just collecting dust in my apartment or my parent's house. I was pissed when my dad gave away my nintendo and my transformers, but now I understand that the kids who got them at the time were way happier with those than I was.

I can almost agree, but your Transformers? That shit's harsh.

Almost everyone I've seen who collects things as an adult is just sad. It just becomes an addiction whereby they have to get a new thing for their collection regularly to be happy.

Ah. I don't need new CDs to be happy, but if I am feeling pretty down, I do try and cheer myself up by ordering some. Especially since I've been banned from hitting the bottle (which I still do, just more infrequent). I cannot lie to you, I often do think about my next purchase.

Once, it got so bad, this was years ago, I hadn't bought a CD in a week. I scoured the house for all the pennies I could find. Walked into a second hand charity store and bought a. Bought a Backstreet Boys single. :'(

I just couldn't stop myself from buying a record that I knew I would hate, burn onto my iTunes and then forget about. I havge bought for the sake of buying.

It's a pretty lame thing to have as a hobby because usually they don't share it with anyone else and it doesn't make them any better or knowledgeable. Like if you collect Elvis shit, you're not going to be "cultured", you're just going to be a dumbass because you spend 5 hours a day on your Elvis collection.

Wife doesn't like me spending time apart from her. Like, I'm a member of a political party, but I've not been to a meeting in nearly a year.

It's not a productive hobby and if you DO meet someone else that loves music, even the same stuff, you can only share it really by going to a concert, so you are apart, yet together.

Like any other media, I suppose.

I've had way more fun spending my money on gifts, bike stuff, trips with friends, cool experiences etc. Plus, research shows that makes people happier overall anyway.

I don't really get to do stuff. Occasionally, I actually bail on a social thing because I just don't feel well enough for it. My GOD! I'm a neckbeard. :o

But yeah, ColorofAwesome, oh wise teenager with heavy depression problems, please indulge yourself in a large vinyl collection that surely will make you very happy as opposed to finding a hobby that makes you go outside your house.

If he is depressed, he probably wont like outside. I went outside today, travelled up town to get ukulele strings. Far too bright, I've got a crippling headache now. :'(

I was only kidding about your taste bro, you know that. Make me a radiogrounds DJ plz.

Children of terror

Elders are slaughtered

Blood sacrifices to the God of corn

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:06:16

At 2/27/13 12:46 PM, MrSoxfan wrote:
At 2/27/13 12:41 PM, KevinHR wrote: I don't like vacations, restaurants, cool trips, bungee-jumping or dates and I especially hate sports, gymnasiums and social clubs.
If you're this boring and anti-social then it's no wonder you like shitty vinyl.

I'm not even that into vinyl, but what he said applies to virtually any hobby that can be enjoyed in solitude.

You gotta spend money on something. If you never go out and all that bullshit it will quickly add up. Especially if you don't have a wife, family and a ridiculously large house. It may be egoistical, but whatever makes you happy.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:07:19

At 2/27/13 12:52 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: not all hipsters like records, and not all people who like records are hipsters.
I'm sick of the anti-hipster backlash. YOu can't like records, you can't like underground bands, you can't wear glasses. I'm not a hipster, but damnit, some things are perfectly acceptable in society!

You know what they say: no hipster will ever admit to being one.

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:07:30

At 2/27/13 12:54 PM, poxpower wrote: I am right. You are wrong. This is this why. I am right. You are wrong. This is this why. I am right. You are wrong. This is this why. I am right. You are wrong. This is this why. I am right. You are wrong. This is this why. I am right. You are wrong. This is this why.

Great.

Your posts are so hate filled and I'm the sad one?

I just checked your page. Is your aggression due to your putrid face? I think I'll live a little happier knowing that this is the tuff ole reg who likes to insult people for no real reason over the Internet.

I'm not trying yo be edgy. I honestly think you look disgusting.

Vinyl

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:10:19

At 2/27/13 01:07 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: I just checked your page. Is your aggression due to your putrid face? I think I'll live a little happier knowing that this is the tuff ole reg who likes to insult people for no real reason over the Internet.

What? He's a female?

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:11:24

At 2/27/13 01:10 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Pox is a girl?!

FUCK! You're pretty man. <3

Of his gf. I dunno.

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:15:21

At 2/27/13 12:41 PM, KevinHR wrote:
Digital recordings are for the most part limited to CD quality which is compressed at 16-bit 44.1 KHz. (a standard established in the late 70's based on the storage capacity of CD's at that time) Since vinyl is analogue, it isn't subjected to digital compression and is therefore technically infinitely superior.

People convert digital media to extremely high qualities nowadays.
There's many formats for lossless audio conversion.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm

What you're buying with vinyl is just an idea. This eternal idea of "authenticity" where you think you're so clever and awesome and cultured because YOU'RE listening to the REAL music and everyone else is just an idiot with their lossy mp3s. HAH THE FOOLS! Only you, Kevin, has ever TRULY listened to Arcade Fire or The Decemberists, not those OTHER chumps without an expensive retro vinyl player.

Marketing execs have been sucking money out of the pockets of people like you forever.

At 2/27/13 12:28 PM, poxpower wrote:
I don't like vacations, restaurants, cool trips, bungee-jumping or dates and I especially hate sports, gymnasiums and social clubs.

You don't like cool trips? Trips that, by definition, are cool?
Your life must be extra-sad, but at least you get to enjoy true premium audio quality that no one else can have as long as they don't buy music from itunes or find vinyl rips in FLAC or WMA formats on the internet.

At 2/27/13 01:01 PM, StationToStation wrote:
I just couldn't stop myself from buying a record that I knew I would hate, burn onto my iTunes and then forget about. I havge bought for the sake of buying.

Buying things is fun.
Buy experiences. Share it with friends. Send some random person a gift.

Way more fun.

I don't really get to do stuff. Occasionally, I actually bail on a social thing because I just don't feel well enough for it. My GOD! I'm a neckbeard. :o

Haha wtf.
Well go do something with your wife.

If he is depressed, he probably wont like outside.

Well he won't like it inside either :P

At 2/27/13 01:10 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Pox is a girl?!

OF COURSE... of course. (no)

BBS Signature

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:16:44

At 2/27/13 01:07 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: You know what they say: no hipster will ever admit to being one.

and? in your definition, you're being just as much a hipster by hating on stuff, as me being a hipster for liking records.

also, i collect tapes too.

Vinyl

Response to Vinyl 2013-02-27 13:26:29

At 2/27/13 01:18 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
Don't have friends and the wife is Jewish, so, you know, that second thing wont happen.

Did you have sex with her yet? haha.
Is that the thing that was going on?

So you're really ready to settle into an entire life of never doing anything by yourself again?
Kind of sounds like an excuse to me, unless your wife is completely insane.

BBS Signature