00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

PS4 could flop

7,180 Views | 61 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-23 17:22:32

At 2/22/13 12:59 AM, Protagonist wrote: This is just like when everyone thought the Wii was going to flop. Sure the PS4 has some really REALLY forced social crap, but I think some of it sounds pretty neat, and a lot of people enjoy it when it comes around. Still though, no Backwards compatibility is pretty damn lame, It's a problem PS3 had too, unless you count the first versions of the PS3.

I guess my only question: What're we expecting price range when it comes out? Because if this is supposed to be the "massive upgrade from the ps3" they hype it out to be, I'm not about to spend... say... $500 up for a overhyped system, plus console gaming has taken a swan dive toward the ground lately too. Might just pick up computer gaming if it goes how i'm thinking.

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-23 19:05:33

If the PS4 doesn't allow for USB Memory stick to the usb slot of the console than it will Flop. Lets see if Sony went the Nintendo route and is making the console only a console and not a media viewing device.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-23 20:35:42

You mean there's a possibility that it might happen?

How insightful.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-23 21:57:58

At 2/23/13 12:12 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote:
At 2/22/13 10:38 PM, orangebomb wrote: Whatever advantage that the Wii U had, will soon be negated by the new Xbox console and the PS4 once they launch.
That Sony will fuck up there PS4 launch. With few games, rushed console, without the ability to be backwards compatible with PS3 games, which might ruin the holiday rush. Forced online marketing. PS3s are finally cheap bro, and have massive library's.

You can't say that with 100% certainty that they will fuck it up at launch, but history has shown us that the PS had slow starts, but managed to get back on their feet quickly. I'll grant you this, I did jump the gun a little bit when the new Xbox and PS4 will overtake the Wii U at launch, but it will take about 6 months to a year after launch before either Microsoft or Sony gets ahead of Nintendo, especially if Nintendo can't deliver on the big name 3rd party titles they promised.

I promise you, mark my words. Nintendo is a sleeping giant. Wait till E3, and reserve your opinions until then.

I will, but I do know one thing right off the bat, if there is no major 3rd party support coming for the Wii U, then they will fall way behind, because they can't keep relying on purely 1st party and the scraps of 3rd party support forever, if they want to get ahead.

The beast, N. Will unleash Ragnarok..Nintendo has to go all out, they realize this. They will wow us with 1st 3rd and 2nd party. While the PlayStation 4 has yet to build a solid user base and boost Sony stock..., and Microsoft Unveils. In essence, Sony will be stuck and caught in the middle. While Nintendo and Microsoft move forward.

Once again, I'll have to see it to believe it, because the promises that they made when the Wii U was launched were pretty lofty, and if the Big N is what you say it is, {not to that hyperbole} they will deliver on that promise. They have the capability and the cache to do so, but will they do it is the key. We'll just have to wait and see.

They both know that the harsh reality is. Sony is bleeding money, what better way for two major video game/business company's to get ahead. Of which a plausible option could be, to strike it's rival....Sony. When it is financially at it's weakest.

Never underestimate Sony. Remember that even with the bumps and screwups that the PS3 had early on, they still managed to keep up with Microsoft and surpass Nintendo in terms of quality and games, and I would like to think that they knew where they screwed up with the PS3, and try to improve off of that.

Barring some major affliction/screwup with Sony that would decimate the PS4's chances, they will easily get back into the race in due time.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-24 08:00:46

At 2/23/13 07:55 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote:
At 2/23/13 07:17 PM, Protagonist wrote: That didn't stop the Wii from flopping
Almost 100 million units is a flop to you?

And if you mean the Wii U, that's not a flop either. You can't call a system a flop when it's only been out for a couple months. Yeah, I said the same thing about the Vita, but at least the Wii U has more promising upcoming titles than that system.

It does? I googled and lots of people are making fun of the lack luster and very few game titles coming out for both the Vita and Wii U. I'm a Vita owner and I regret buying this handheld. I've even tried to sell it on Craigslist and even tried trading for it and 0 replies or offers. No one wants this thing. It has a beautiful OLED screen for watching Youtube on it but its lackluster and weak games on it make it a poor gaming handheld.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-24 18:05:54

Call me crazy but I see the PS4 doing better than the PS3

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 07:59:20

At 2/24/13 06:05 PM, JCking6 wrote: Call me crazy but I see the PS4 doing better than the PS3

Not gonna happen unless the PS4 has usb movie media support which I doubt it does.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 08:01:33

At 2/25/13 07:59 AM, TheKlown wrote:
Not gonna happen unless the PS4 has usb movie media support which I doubt it does.

Why does this even matter...?

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate

I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 08:04:17

The controller has a share button, the PS4 cannot possibly flop!

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 09:03:56

At 2/24/13 08:00 AM, TheKlown wrote:
It does? I googled and lots of people are making fun of the lack luster and very few game titles coming out for both the Vita and Wii U. I'm a Vita owner and I regret buying this handheld. I've even tried to sell it on Craigslist and even tried trading for it and 0 replies or offers. No one wants this thing. It has a beautiful OLED screen for watching Youtube on it but its lackluster and weak games on it make it a poor gaming handheld.

Here's the thing though; Unlike Sony's Vita, which is still in the toilet and probably won't ever get out of it, Nintendo actually did something to pull the 3DS, which was in the toilet, out of the toilet. Nintendo decreased the price of the 3DS, and released a lot of First Party games on the system (Legend of Zelda, Mario 3D Land, Star Fox, Mario Kart 7, Nintendogs+Cats). That Boosted the sales of the 3DS to what they are today (Around 30 Million Units in over 1 Year). This has brought back and even increased 3rd party support for the handheld.

Now, the WiiU has promised some amazing 1st and 3rd Party games to come out within the fallowing year: Pikmin 3, Lego City, Monster Hunter 3, Need For Speed, The Walking Dead, Game and Wario and the Wonderful 101 all come out In March. Watch_Dogs, the upcoming Ubisoft Game is coming to the WiiU on release date, and Bungie's Destiny has been hinted as coming to the WiiU. A Mario Kart, a Mario Platformer, A LoZ: Wind Waker Remake and Possibly even the next Super Smash Bros are coming out around the launch of the PS4. If the WiiU is having trouble enticing 3rd parties now (Which by the looks of it, it doesn't have as serious a problem as it had on the Wii), it won't be having those troubles by the beginning of next year.

OT: Yeah, I have a bad feeling the PS4 isn't gonna do well either. It's gonna be to costly, it doesn't have anything I like, and the lack of backwards compatibility is really gonna hurt the system. All I know is, if Sony fails here, then they cannot be in the Video Game market anymore (Heck, they might end up declaring bankruptcy if they fail here).

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 17:09:53

At 2/25/13 09:03 AM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote: All I know is, if Sony fails here, then they cannot be in the Video Game market anymore (Heck, they might end up declaring bankruptcy if they fail here).

Nintendo will go bankrupt before Sony does, you're out of your mind.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 17:18:45

At 2/25/13 09:03 AM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote:

Pretty much how I feel.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 20:21:16

At 2/25/13 05:09 PM, simon wrote:
At 2/25/13 09:03 AM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote: All I know is, if Sony fails here, then they cannot be in the Video Game market anymore (Heck, they might end up declaring bankruptcy if they fail here).

Right; Nintendo, who has reported only 1 Financial Loss in their entire lifetime, have hoarded money since the early days of the NES, made a killer profit on the Wii (Which always sold at a profit), have legions of fans who love them, and who recently had their Stocks grow after the announcement of a certain console, will totally go bankrupt before Sony, a company with 7 years of Consecutive Losses, a Credit Rating of "Junk", the slowest selling Console of the 7th Generation, which didn't turn up a profit until 2010, which was the same with their first handheld, while their second handheld is selling diddly squat (Seriously, 1 year out on the market, and the WiiU is almost passing them already), and had their stocks drop after announcing the PS4, does.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 20:55:31

At 2/25/13 05:09 PM, simon wrote:

Did you read the Sony credit report I posted?

DingoWalley is right though, Nintendo does have a golden chest stashed away. Which really amazes me.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-25 21:23:29

OPs grammar is godawful, I'm unable to take anyone seriously who is older than me that can't use English properly.

Anyway, the tall and short of it is that it's most likely PS4 and the new Xbox will be released around the same time so they'll be starting on an equal footing. No 12 month head start for Microsoft this time, so it should be interesting to see how long it takes for it to fall behind when the dreaded RRoD makes it's highly anticipated return.

Also Microsoft if you're listening, (they aren't, too busy counting money) I'd do away with the ejecting disc tray, it's hard for your customers to keep replacing their copies of CoD and Fifa on just pocket money. Having them pay to just use the thing online is all good and well but warped discs is unacceptable. Maybe you could stop making all your games on those really cheap discs that cost next to nothing as well, cheers.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-26 09:55:12

At 2/25/13 09:23 PM, Quinny wrote: OPs grammar is godawful, I'm unable to take anyone seriously who is older than me that can't use English properly.

Anyway, the tall and short of it is that it's most likely PS4 and the new Xbox will be released around the same time so they'll be starting on an equal footing. No 12 month head start for Microsoft this time, so it should be interesting to see how long it takes for it to fall behind when the dreaded RRoD makes it's highly anticipated return.

Also Microsoft if you're listening, (they aren't, too busy counting money) I'd do away with the ejecting disc tray, it's hard for your customers to keep replacing their copies of CoD and Fifa on just pocket money. Having them pay to just use the thing online is all good and well but warped discs is unacceptable. Maybe you could stop making all your games on those really cheap discs that cost next to nothing as well, cheers.

Thank the poor Educational system in America. My grammar is also not too great and I do blame the terrible Teachers we have in this Country. I think Good Teachers are a very small percent and most likely not part of the Union Cult.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-26 16:44:10

At 2/25/13 09:23 PM, Quinny wrote: OPs grammar is godawful, I'm unable to take anyone seriously who is older than me that can't use English properly.

Everyone is a English major these days.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-26 16:57:14

At 2/21/13 10:03 PM, Sekhem wrote: sony stocks hit a 32 year low in 2012 after the flop of the vita

ps4 predictions aren't looking good either

rip sony

R.I.P. Playstation
FTFY

I don't care how munch it costs or how much it sucks I will buy because I can. Time to buy all the Vita games.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-26 18:17:41

At 2/22/13 10:50 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
without Mario you probably wouldn't have video games, or at least to the point where they weren't as advanced today.

I think you may have meant Donkey Kong, because that's what turned Nintendo from a trading card company into a video game software/hardware developer. Mario could have been any character in a brightly colored uniform and served just as well as a company mascot, really.

I don't know if the topic of this thread is a conversation worth having at this point in time, seeing as the amount of information revealed to us at Sony's press conference amounted to some quick peaks at what the front end of the PSN service will look like followed by some non-representative gameplay footage, some of which wasn't even running on the hardware in question, with absolutely zero indication of price points, third party hardware support etc etc. Anybody arguing one way or the other right now runs the risk of looking like a Sony fanboy or an angry console warrior with a bone to pick.

That is, unless you want to broaden the conversation to "PS4/XB/Steam Box could flop", because then I think you'd be touching on the bigger issue at large here. With the amount of capital invested into these huge hardware cycles and AAA software titles, I do think it's inevitable the gaming market will see another crash, albeit it not on the scale of the one that happened decades ago. It's not out of the question that one of the major players at the moment might go the way of SEGA and end up retiring their legacy of hardware development and go the way of pure third party game development, but when the only information available to us about the next cycle of hardware is some vague images and corporate ramblings, I don't see it as a safe assumption to focus on one hardware specifically.

"R.I.P. Gunther Hermann - 2002-2052

He wanted orange. The world gave him lemon-lime"

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-26 21:04:01

PS4 man. The future of video games. Its gonna blow everyone chairs off the floor. Just you wait man.

Smoke. Sleep. Life. "Inhale the good shit exhale the bullshit" - Your peaceful dude PotHeadParadise

Peace And Love For A Better World

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-02-26 21:38:49

At 2/26/13 09:04 PM, PotHeadParadise wrote: PS4 man. The future of video games. Its gonna blow everyone chairs off the floor. Just you wait man.

The chairs I am sure will be pretty cheap. Blowing them over will mean rustic materials. Such as the way the PS4 will melt over into retro history. But probably not in a good way.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-05 16:46:50

lol ^^

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-05 18:03:10

Any console can flop, it just depend on how many people is excited about the new PS4.

TracyJackson

The Art of Warfare gaming community Member

Apply into one of our dozen supported clans today! (TAW Clan)

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-05 18:58:12

At 2/22/13 02:53 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: And PS3 is $299. Obviously, there's a good market for an expensive PC, but the average joe still can't afford to buy a sizeable rig, let alone to upgrade it every time a new graphics card comes out.

Actually, building one's own computer is not all too expensive. I bring it up mainly to keep others from being discouraged from doing so. A common misconception about PC gaming is that you need to upgrade your graphics card every year, when in all actuality, once you buy a graphics card, it doesn't degrade in quality. In other words, Xbox 360 games look just as good now as they did 5 years ago, because Xbox 360's still use the same hardware. If you play games on Medium settings now, 5 years from now you will play games at Low settings, but Low settings 5 years from now will look like Medium settings now (I apologize for the poor wording). You only need to buy a new graphics card if you want to have the most cutting-edge graphics available that a console would not be able to reproduce.

In my parts list (gathered from Newegg) is included every piece you would need to play Crysis 2 maxed out in 720p and at a constant 30fps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLydizBh1g - Keep in mind that the PS3 and Xbox 360 often play games at 720p or lower then scale them to fit the screen, exactly what the rig I posted would do. The difference is that the view distance, textures, and effects would look vastly superior on this PC than to the same game running on a console. The only pieces I did not include in my parts list would be a copy of Windows (~$30 USD on eBay) and a mouse and keyboard (~$20 USD).

The only real difficulties with this rig would be building it, but there are plenty of easy guides on YouTube. Honestly, building a computer is like building with Legos, except with PCs, each part only has one possible connector that will fit it. It will probably take more time to install Windows than to put the PC together.

PS4 could flop

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-05 19:13:49

At 2/21/13 10:03 PM, Sekhem wrote: sony stocks hit a 32 year low in 2012 after the flop of the vita

ps4 predictions aren't looking good either

rip sony

I don't think Sony would die out that easily since it dose more then just make the Playstation 4, it has been founded one year after World War II (7 May 1946 is when Sony was founded).

Taken for granted from what I'm seeing here could very well become another video game crash since the sales of video games where steadily going down since 2009 as mentioned on Gamautra. The video game sales where most potent around 2008 then started a decline around 2009 (hmm I wounder why).

At the typing of this post right here on this forum, we haven't had another Video Game Crash since 1983 in North America and that's like almost 30 years ago, with the bad choices being made the customers are gradually losing consumer confidence as they once did back in the early 1980s when it came to the 2nd generation gaming consoles.

The only difference here is that the reasoning for why customers are losing consumer confidence as of recent is a far more different story, not everyone has internet access and can't always enjoy the multiplayer modes seen in video gaming franchises such as Halo, Gears of War, Killzone and what else that includes multiplayer modes. Some of those gaming companies when it comes to putting video gaming in the console market are WAAAYYY too focused on making it so you have to be online just to play the certain gaming modes you can't normally get when playing video games offline.

What they really should do is make a separate achievement/trophy list for both offline and for online, again not everyone is able to afford online connection for internet and some people will in fact refuse it outright. Even then certain games are simply better off not having an achievement/trophy list, not all video games have to have achievements/trophies.

Another thing they should also do, make it so that backwards compatibility is sold separately, especially for some of those video games people know full well that just can't be found elsewhere, in fact that's what Sony should do for the Playstation 4 while they still have the chance, make it so that backwards compatibility to play past video games to be sold as a separate hardware add-on for if they do that, they'll gain even more ground then they once did when they first released the Playstation 3 back in 2006 (they could of waited until early 2007 to do so).

Either way, if video gaming companies keep making bad choices to the point where customers really lose consumer confidence, where gonna have another video game crash, they need to learn to make good choices, making it so that future gaming consoles have seperate offline and online achievement list is just one thing, making a hardware backwards compatibility thing that allows you to play past video games is another.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-07 17:57:14

At 3/5/13 07:13 PM, Thecrazyman wrote:

A video game crash would suck. But, I think that is worst case scenario.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-07 18:23:42

READ THIS POST IF YOU VALUE NOT GETTING RIPPED OFF BY SONY.

the PS4 will. I repeat WILL be this:

the wii u is just a wii with an HD graphics card, all the original hacks (WIIRD/GECKO OPERATING SYSTEM) still worked launch date and still do, sony only feels the need for a PS4 because of the wii U's hype but UNFORTUNATELY us the consumer are going to get fucked by this if we do not band together and refuse to purchase and let it be known we wont purchase ps4's which by the way will do just as nintendo did and BARELY update anything at all hardware wise and give you a software patch that would run perfect on your perfectly functioning ps3. do none of you realize the ps3 hasn't even SCRATCHED its full operating potential???? why more? cuz sony is getting the nintendo dick in console sales.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-07 21:58:18

At 3/7/13 05:57 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote:
A video game crash would suck. But, I think that is worst case scenario.

Considering the fact that the number of bad choices being made by a number of gaming companies gives reason why the customers themselves (as customers are the boss) the results of a video game crash go beyond Sony itself.

One example is video games that require internet connection even for single-player, yes that's right, single player and as soon as I took note of this I was like "you have GOT to be kidding me" and that started when Diablo III came out, I'm pretty sure a number of people took this PC game back when they realize you have to have internet connection just to play this game to play even the single player.

And that's just the beginning, if they bring Diablo III out to the gaming consoles and those games require internet connection to play even single player, that be another reason why a video game crash is upcoming, look at Bungie's Destiny coming up, they say that too requires internet connection just to play even single player, and so dose the 2013 version of SimCity for PC and from what I read a LOT of people had trouble trying to play SimCity just because it requires an internet connection to play even single player mode as mentioned on this link.

That said, some of those video gaming companies that keep making it so people are required to have internet connection to play even up to single player mode if they release such games to the console market, that be another reason why we're gonna have another video game crash.

Taken for granted if it's games that are designed to be Massive Multiplayer Online gaming such as EverQuest and what not I could care less about that since there meant to have internet connection but video games designed for just single player if not co-op players such as SimCity shouldn't even require internet connection and that's what's getting Electronic Arts (or some could say Evil Arts) in the hot water, if it's games like Halo, Killzone and Gears of War well internet connection should rather be entirely optional since they have multiplayer options.

What dose all that have to involve the Playstation 4 could flop? If Sony makes bad choices and another video game crash takes place then it affects Sony a lot among other video gaming companies heavily affected, but even if Sony made good choices for the Playstation 4 and another video game crash was still allowed to take place then Sony will still suffer the effects of the video game crash, just not as badly if they made good choices for the Playstation 4.

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-08 00:05:39

I'm still pissed that most Playstation 3's aren't backwards compatible with PS2 titles, unless it's been digitally released in the PSN store...so now I have a bunch of useless PS2 Dvd's lying around...

I'm just now accumulating a collection of PS3 titles...and they're trying to tell me that it won't be backwards compatible with the PS4?

Oh, what's that? Now I have to pay for monthly subscriptions in order to access online play with these games, who in this day and age, have become increasingly INSISTENT that you need to be online in order to play at all?

I'm drifting further and further away from the console market with age...and my older brother, who has ALWAYS been an avid PC Gamer, will have nothing but "I told you so's" waiting for me.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to PS4 could flop 2013-03-08 00:40:18

At 2/24/13 02:44 PM, MiniDroidKreator wrote: It's just too soon to tell if the PS4 would flop. Just have to wait and see how this turns out in a couple more months.

This. You guys can theorize all you want, but life doesn't always follow expectations- it's best to just see what Sony does in the months to come and then we can make more accurate judgments then.

BBS Signature