00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

what is the best anime to you

6,019 Views | 91 Replies

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 18:30:07

im just saying 10s should be reserved for life changing stuff instead of the usual mal scale of
10 really good
9 good
8 ok
7 bad
6 horrible
1-5 doesnt exist

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 18:30:29

At 2/18/13 06:19 PM, Viper50 wrote: Either FLCL or Cowboy Bebop.

You know, it seems that most people either adore or despise FLCL. I thought it was just okay. I mean, there were a few parts that I just didn't understand why anybody could find them entertaining, but it had some kinda neat bits as well. And I love the design of Canti.

also...eyebrows....

Pretty much animes that are short sweet and to the point.

fuckin' A, man. Most animes that are beyond like 50 or 60 episodes are shit. I'm sure there are exceptions, of course. I mean, DBZ wasn't that bad. It had several glaring flaws, but it was passable. Plus, Yu Yu Hakusho was decent for what it was.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 18:33:29

At 2/18/13 06:30 PM, wpsisafag wrote: im just saying 10s should be reserved for life changing stuff instead of the usual mal scale of

Alright, dude. I see what you mean. But I've watched a massive amount of anime over the years. I guess I kinda scale it against what I've seen. I dunno. Which ones on my list do you think deserve less than a ten? I know a lot of people think Dead Leaves is either mediocre or just plain shit, but I really do love that movie enough to give it a ten. I've watched that movie so many times, though most of my viewing experiences were under the influence of some sort of substance.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 18:37:32

At 2/18/13 06:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/18/13 06:30 PM, wpsisafag wrote: im just saying 10s should be reserved for life changing stuff instead of the usual mal scale of
Alright, dude. I see what you mean. But I've watched a massive amount of anime over the years. I guess I kinda scale it against what I've seen. I dunno. Which ones on my list do you think deserve less than a ten? I know a lot of people think Dead Leaves is either mediocre or just plain shit, but I really do love that movie enough to give it a ten. I've watched that movie so many times, though most of my viewing experiences were under the influence of some sort of substance.

out of the ones ive seen out of the ones you posted in the thread, i wouldnt give any of them a 10, it's all down to preference thogh

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 18:38:23

At 2/18/13 05:15 PM, OrgasmSquid wrote: It manages to go over its whole story in only 6 episodes (where most animes have 20-100+ episodes)

Most have 12 or 13. Anything over 30 is very rare and usually only when it's based on an already popular manga.

My favorite is Neon Genesis Evangelion. I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop.

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 18:54:55

At 2/18/13 06:26 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: But when it comes to works of fiction, whether it be written, filmed, animated, or whatever, what is best is subjective.

No it isn't. With a subjective material, there is no best. Simple as that. You don't change the definition of the word to fit the subject. If something is subjective, there can be what you prefer the most, but there cannot be a best.

This is true for all forms of art, even paintings. You may argue that a certain portrait is the best portrait ever painted because it is the most accurate and realistic, but what about abstract art? What about Picasso? Is his work inferior to a perfect likeness because his art distorts reality? It's all a matter of point of view.

You're correct about art being subjective. I wasn't arguing against that.

How can we definitively establish beyond any doubt or argument what is truly, factually, and objectively the best anime ever made?

I'm not saying that the quality of art is objective, I'm saying that the best of something cannot be determined by opinion. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with art, it's that there is a best and a favourite. They are very different things and cannot be merged.

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 19:06:04

At 2/18/13 06:37 PM, wpsisafag wrote: it's all down to preference thogh

Indeed it is. So, what do you think of the ones I listed? Did you like them? hate them? or in between, or as I say, "meh"?

Well, Oolaph, it seems we're almost on the same page here. I was just a bit thrown off about your comment about the subjectivity of the word "best" in a reply to a question regarding something subjective. I think we have, or at least can, come to an agreement here. In the world of entertainment and the arts, "best" is subjective. *extending hand

while holding up monocle with other hand

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 19:08:39

they range from blergh to meh

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 19:12:15

At 2/18/13 07:06 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Well, Oolaph, it seems we're almost on the same page here.

Yes, okay.

I was just a bit thrown off about your comment about the subjectivity of the word "best" in a reply to a question regarding something subjective.

Yes, okay.

I think we have, or at least can, come to an agreement here. In the world of entertainment and the arts, "best" is subjective. *extending hand

Wait no. What.

Did you completely miss what I was saying about how "best" cannot be subjective in any case? That was my entire point.

while holding up monocle with other hand

No please don't do that nothing has been resolved.

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 19:14:24

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.

Half of it is because of the characters and events that are taking place within the anime...though it can get heavy in exposition, which is a pet peeve of mine with anime in general, I kinda have to let it slide because this is based on a novel, based on a series that's been going on for generations.

A quarter of why it's so badass is the epic, EPIC continuity. The history behind it...these storylines that began in Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 have all led up to this. Through 08th MS Team, through Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, to Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories, Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta Gundam (both of which I have yet to see) and Char's Counter Attack...this is the epic flourishing firestorm of the EFSF versus the Principality...no, wait..."Neo Zeon."

Another quarter of it is...well, fucking look at it. It's gorgeous.

It is the best goddamned mech show I have ever seen.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 19:50:20

inb4 Naruto
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you don't think so your opinion is probably wtong

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 19:58:32

At 2/18/13 04:00 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 2/18/13 03:58 PM, BleachFanatic12 wrote: TO many to count
I bet you're getting wet about the new episodes of Bleach coming up

I'm lactating

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 20:28:57

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, or Kaiji

one of those

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 21:59:18

At 2/18/13 07:12 PM, Oolaph wrote: Did you completely miss what I was saying about how "best" cannot be subjective in any case? That was my entire point.

I'm afraid I don't understand, good sir. How can we establish, in absolute fact, what is the best anime?

*feathery mustache twitches as I smoke from my pipe*

No please don't do that nothing has been resolved.

Oh, my! * monocle falls in tea cup*

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 22:06:17

At 2/18/13 09:59 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm afraid I don't understand, good sir. How can we establish, in absolute fact, what is the best anime?

You can't, because there is no best anime.

What I'm saying is "the best to you" or "the best in your opinion" is not a valid quesion, because "best" is an objective term that doesn't involve opinion. So when you're talking about something subjective, you shouldn't be saying "the best to me", you should be saying "my favourite".

That's all I've been trying to say. The word "best" should not be used in a subjective manner because it isn't subjective, but favouritism is.

Now I feel like one of those assholes that go around butting into people's conversations to correct their grammar in order to feel superior. I apologize.

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 22:38:09

At 2/18/13 05:51 PM, wpsisafag wrote: gee i wonder if i was referring to the guy with 20+ pitchfork perfect tens on his animelist

lol owned

Also, all of the anime in this thread is just stuff everyone knows (ie not necessarily good, just well known). A large amount of them are mediocre, poor or are just above average. Of course there are really good ones though still like Darker than black, Spice and wolf and Haruhi but thats less than a tenth of what Ive seen in this thread at max.

But really if you want to watch good anime then go and find some that not everyone has heard of fifty times before.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 22:45:58

At 2/18/13 10:38 PM, BumFodder wrote:
lol owned

I haven't overestimated you, have I?

lol pleb guffaw sniff

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 22:48:36

I am honestly surprised that no one mentioned Hokuto No Ken. Easily one of the best plots in anime, as well as bodies exploding/shredding, sympathetic characters, {Jagi and Souther are exceptions} and the fact that it's the inspiration of many shonen stories {and anime in general} over the last 25 years or so.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 22:54:06

At 2/18/13 10:45 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 2/18/13 10:38 PM, BumFodder wrote:
lol owned
I haven't overestimated you, have I?

lol pleb guffaw sniff

I was just joking, but 10/10s really should be used rarely.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:02:49

Yeah, so I'm kind of head-over-heels in love with FLCL, to the point where I believe it's one of the highest pop cultural achievements of the past few decades, and maybe even legitimately a Great Work of Art (whatever that means). So, sorry for all the text (I could write a book about this show if I really wanted to), and maybe take whatever I say about it with a grain of salt.

Also, Sense-Offender, I think maybe this is what Oolaph is getting at:

"Best" means using a set of objective criteria to form an argument about which works achieve a higher level of quality than others. "Favorite" means using your own subjective tastes to decide which works you personally prefer over others. For example, Citizen Kane almost always ends up being the consensus critical choice for the "best" film because of its stylistic and narrative innovations, but I doubt that most of those critics would consider it their "favorite."

Colloquially people like to use both terms interchangeably (in fact you can probably see me doing it myself later on in this post), so maybe that's where the confusion comes from, but they do mean different things. I think in this case "best anime to you" is supposed to mean "favorite," but mine at least are one and the same anyway.

At 2/18/13 06:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: You know, it seems that most people either adore or despise FLCL.

That's the difference between good art and great art, and why I want to bang my head against a wall when people say that The Shawshank Redemption is the best movie ever made. The best works of art will almost inevitably have jagged edges and provoke a love-it-or-hate-it reaction from people, because they take chances and defy expectations. For better or worse, they are powerful enough to demand an extreme reaction.

FLCL is so polarizing because it's utterly uncompromising. The creators made exactly the show they set out to make without watering it down to make it more palatable for a broader audience. It takes risks and does bold new things and, yes, has its fair share of flaws as a result. Which I think you can find admirable regardless of whether or not you actually like the thing.

I'll take messy and exciting over neat and boring any day. Life is messy and ambiguous, too, and I appreciate works that are honest about that.

I thought it was just okay. I mean, there were a few parts that I just didn't understand why anybody could find them entertaining, but it had some kinda neat bits as well.

There are a few points (especially in the fourth episode) where the show just totally flies off the rails and I still don't totally get what they were trying to do. But for the most part I love the show's giddy enthusiasm and willingness to experiment. It's like a Looney Tunes short or a Godard film; the creators are so fascinated and entertained by the medium that they pursue whatever they find interesting, without letting silly things like conventional storytelling techniques or logic or the laws of physics get in the way. It's a pretty liberating way to tell a story, though obviously it ends up being a little hit-or-miss.

And despite what FLCL's detractors most often like to complain about, it most certainly does tell a story. In contrast to its style, a pretty melancholy and low-key one, too. It's just told in an elliptical, roundabout, mostly visual way (which is a smart choice in a story about adolescents who have trouble articulating their feelings). I mean, take for example the image below, which pretty much encapsulates the entire central relationship dynamic of the show in a single shot (there aren't many TV shows on now that would put this much thought into shot composition, let alone 12 or 13 years ago). As a piece of filmmaking, FLCL goes far above and beyond most other TV (anime and otherwise), which tends to put most of the narrative heavy lifting on dialogue.

also...eyebrows....

What ABOUT eyebrows?

Fun fact about the eyebrows: those are actually real pieces of nori seaweed that they put in a scanner and digitally inserted into the frames.

At 2/18/13 06:19 PM, Viper50 wrote: Either FLCL or Cowboy Bebop.

Well now I know what I'm posting next in the music thread...

At 2/18/13 06:38 PM, Jackho wrote: Most have 12 or 13. Anything over 30 is very rare and usually only when it's based on an already popular manga.

I thought 26 was the typical full series order. Could be wrong, though.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:08:11

MindGame.

HOLY. HOLE-Y. DONUTS.

this movie, is sooo fecking amazing. The art, the characters, the pacing.

You can watch the full film here and enable the subtitles

its just amazing.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:17:17

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:20:29

Ching tau tsunami surfer!!

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:33:59

At 2/18/13 11:08 PM, TheMajormel wrote: MindGame.

Fantastic movie. If you like that, you should see Kemonozume. Short series, like 13 eps I think. Made by the same person.

I

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:39:26

does shrek count as anime

filler text

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:43:35

I really don't watch that much anime anymore, but it's a tie between Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note for me.

Newgrounds | PM me for a forum signature

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-18 23:54:58

At 2/18/13 11:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Fantastic movie. If you like that, you should see Kemonozume. Short series, like 13 eps I think. Made by the same person.

totally gonna check that out

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-19 00:21:15

At 2/19/13 12:11 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: k-on . . . lots of moe girls! what more does a great anime really need, let's be honest

--supergandhi64

I play bass because of Mio. After the beatings I came up with a different inspiring story to tell in its place.

BBS Signature

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-02-19 01:30:36

At 2/18/13 07:50 PM, NightOwl wrote: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you don't think so your opinion is probably wtong

hear hear

even endless eight was better than most modern anime

Response to what is the best anime to you 2013-12-03 02:39:41

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

Because I'm a giant Higurashi fanboy

xD