00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lilwilbug just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Don't Call It Post Dubstep

1,267 Views | 19 Replies

Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 02:55:05

What are your thoughts on this? I think Redbull did an amazing job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyF6ZKbfek

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 03:17:58

I can understand that it might not be something you are particulate interested in but at least it's something different. I mean, it's only 10 minutes long.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 03:40:49

At 2/13/13 03:17 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: I mean, it's only 10 minutes long.

Actually it's 11:27! :O

I've watched it now though, but I didn't find it very interesting. It doesn't ho much inteo detail of how dubstep was really created at all, or the different genres, seems like there's a lot of people praising the Internet and speaking about new ways to produce and showcase music, and how it's evolved, and what it means to people... without saying anything really concrete. I'd have liked a rundown on facts instead of philosophy. :/ Just my humble opinion..

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 11:45:51

Egad!

There comes a point where ultra-specific labels are useless. You could always describe something as a blend of other small genres, as opposed to its own micro-specific title, since there are enough titles out there to account for every current sonic configuration. That way, all the vernacular used to pigeonhole modern music would be axed in favor of longer descriptions and reviews.

Plus, post-dubstep has a terrible ring to it. The word just sounds like a detached bastardization to label a whole group of artists.

Mental Music for Thinkers and Doers

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 11:49:30

I like these dudes, country-kids do rad shit

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 11:58:26

At 2/13/13 11:53 AM, Shade wrote: My thoughts?

It's Dial Up with a beat.

What?

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:06:35

At 2/13/13 11:53 AM, Shade wrote: My thoughts?

It's Dial Up with a beat.

I don't think you, ah. Never, never mind.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:10:29

I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to label things such as music with such specific labels. Who cares what its called? and why do people get so infuriated when someone misidentifies a genre or sound? If you like the music, listen to it. If you dont like it, dont listen to it. simple as that. why all the stress on these identifiers, why does everything have to be so differentiated? theres nothing wrong with blurring the lines of genre. some sounds have similarities to others, but are distinguished by this one little detail, that doesnt make them completely opposite of eachother. I just dont understand all the negative hype about things like EDM. I like all sorts of electronic music, i just label it all together as electronic music. i can see the differences between something like dubstep and techno but if someone misdiagnoses it it doesnt affect me. and i don't bash on everyone who hates EDM, i dont bash on everyone who likes other things more. People need to learn to just listen to what you like and dont give a shit about what anyone else likes. if they like the same thing as you, great. if they don't, great too, they have something else that makes them happy.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:11:21

At 2/13/13 12:10 PM, TomTheJuggler111 wrote: I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to label things such as music with such specific labels.

The whole point of the fucking video. Did you even watch?

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:17:05

At 2/13/13 12:15 PM, Sekhem wrote: they didn't interview zomby?

worthless

Haha, yeah it felt a bit like that.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:21:21

At 2/13/13 12:19 PM, ClockworkSpace wrote: I find it ridiculous that there is an art movement called 'Post-Postmodernism'

I mean come on

It makes sense. Modernism happened over the course of the 20th century (modernism with an upper-case M) which means everything post-Modernism refers to movements after or subsequent of that.

It's stupid though, it wasn't very forward thinking to call anything Modernism as a name, because obviously time carries on.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:27:51

At 2/13/13 12:23 PM, Ma1achi wrote:
At 2/13/13 12:10 PM, TomTheJuggler111 wrote: I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to label things such as music with such specific labels.
/thread

One persons rhetorical question does not end a thread. It was a horrible post that explained nothing.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:35:07

At 2/13/13 12:19 PM, ClockworkSpace wrote: I find it ridiculous that there is an art movement called 'Post-Postmodernism'

Post-Post-Postmodernism is the next level.

Also post-post :P

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:38:30

At 2/13/13 12:34 PM, Ma1achi wrote: It explained everything really, but I guess your so set in your biased ways there is little hope in continuing communication. Carry on and label everything including yourself like everyone else.

You are such a hypocrite. What did it explain? Labels shouldn't exist? Dubstep and techno sound different? Take your own advice and stop being so biased.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:50:52

At 2/13/13 12:44 PM, Ma1achi wrote: ADD must be common here, try to pay more attention to detail.

Serious question. You seem like you don't like many people here so why spend your time on this one website? The community is not going to change for you.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 12:53:15

At 2/13/13 12:49 PM, Sekhem wrote: it's very convenient

Is everything contained in 8-Bit/VGM from game soundtracks? Is there actually such music released separately (thinking about full albums, not individual tracks)?

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 13:03:54

At 2/13/13 01:00 PM, Ma1achi wrote: You're generalizing because your butt hurt about me posting in your threads.

Stop fucking amusing things. I couldn't give a piss about you. You're clearly butthurt to the point where you told me to kill myself. Who are you kidding?

I like most users here.

It doesn't reflect in your posts.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 13:21:45

At 2/13/13 02:55 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: What are your thoughts on this? I think Redbull did an amazing job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyF6ZKbfek

Finally some awesome thread. x3

"I fapped to this topic."

- Razeroath.

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 16:19:07

Youre stupid. if two things dont sound alike then why would they be called the same thing?

At 2/13/13 12:49 PM, Sekhem wrote: see the photo below? it allows me to listen to nothing but techno, if i choose

it's very convenient

Britpop is actually alt rock by the way

BBS Signature

Response to Don't Call It Post Dubstep 2013-02-13 21:35:42

At 2/13/13 07:05 PM, Sekhem wrote: yes, because i want to listen to oasis with sonic youth

no

Well theres lots of different styles in Britpop as opposed to post-britpop where half the bands sound like fucking Coldplay.

but fair enough anyway

BBS Signature