00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Coloring in Flash

817 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Coloring in Flash 2013-02-07 17:11:16

This is just a quick question of feasibility of a coloring process. If I completed my animation and copied the main animation layer and did the coloring on the second layer would anyone think that is a good process or just too complicated. Still working on learning to animate.

Response to Coloring in Flash 2013-02-08 00:09:21

I'm still learning as I go myself but from what I have learnt so far is that it is much easier to color in the same layer as the line art. Unlike Photoshop you don't need to go in separate layers to color/shade/highlight etc this can all be done in the one layer/symbol.

If your using the brush tool to paint/draw then you might want to use the pencil tool to make the outlines for shadow/highlights because at the end, you can highlight the entire frame and remove the pencil by changing its color to nothing (the box with the red line through it) this removes the pencil lines and keeps all the shading and highlights you've put in.

Response to Coloring in Flash 2013-02-08 03:10:04

You mean you're going to try coloring behind the lines on a different layer like in photoshop. I don't see why that wouldn't work. It might end up being slower than just filling with the paint bucket though.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to Coloring in Flash 2013-02-08 11:17:45

At 2/8/13 03:10 AM, Celshaded wrote: You mean you're going to try coloring behind the lines on a different layer like in photoshop. I don't see why that wouldn't work. It might end up being slower than just filling with the paint bucket though.

Yeah its a slower process, I know thats how its done in photoshop but in flash it seems counterproductive. I think its more typical to have a seperate layer for your shading and highlights. Though for highlights youll have to be careful that you arent highlighting your outlines (unless thats what you want)

None

BBS Signature

Response to Coloring in Flash 2013-02-11 06:01:45

I use like 5 billion layers.

Response to Coloring in Flash 2013-02-11 06:52:05

At 2/7/13 05:11 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: This is just a quick question of feasibility of a coloring process. If I completed my animation and copied the main animation layer and did the coloring on the second layer would anyone think that is a good process or just too complicated. Still working on learning to animate.

Hi!

In flash it's good if you seperate parts in different layers. Example: If you want to make moving hair on a standing still character. Then you should use 2 layers. 1 for the standing still character and 1 for the moving hair. It saves you a lot of time with coloring and animating!

I will show you an picture. The coloring and the animation is on 1 layer :)

Coloring in Flash