00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

craftydemoncat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New UK gay marriage law.

984 Views | 6 Replies

New UK gay marriage law. 2013-02-05 15:49:11

As some of you are probably sick of hearing about already (though, oddly, I couldn't find a recent topic on the matter), the UK government is currently arguing about letting gay people get married in exactly the same way as straight couples. The new law got through isn't yet official, and may not be approved after all, but it's looking more likely than ever that this is going to be a thing over here sooner rather than later. Even if it's overturned now, it'll only come back later.

However, there's something I don't get about this: The law doesn't actually force churches to marry gay couples. They have the ability to make the choice themselves, and every major religious organisation in the UK has already said they wouldn't do it regardless of the law. So what's the point of a law allowing gay marriage if there are no churches in the UK that'll play along? The only place you could get 'married' would be in a registry office, and that'd be no different than just getting a civil partnership in the first place (it comes with pretty much all the same rights as a marriage).

So... I dunno, is this just another pointless argument over the definition of a word, or am I missing something here? Are there any recognised churches in the UK that HAVE said they'd obey such a law?

P.S: I don't actually care about the opinion war behind gay marriage, hence the reason why it's not in the Politics forum. I'm only interested in the apparent logic failure in letting the churches decide the availability of places gay couples could get married.

Response to New UK gay marriage law. 2013-02-05 16:06:55

The problem is there's a moral issue for the priests. As you said, the majority of priests simply won't do it. There are, however, a small amount that will marry gay couples despite what the general consensus is. I think the point is to remove the ancient restriction, and what may follow, follows. At least there won't be this barrier of a law the church can hide behind.
After this legislation passes, if you want to get married through the church, you'll always find a priest somewhere that can make it happen.

The reason priests won't be forced to accept is sorta the same reason why Niqabs and Burqas are allowed, and falls under the category freedom of religion.

BBS Signature

Response to New UK gay marriage law. 2013-02-05 16:06:58

At 2/5/13 03:49 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: every major religious organisation in the UK has already said they wouldn't do it regardless of the law.

They religious organisations think they're above the law.

OK.

Response to New UK gay marriage law. 2013-02-05 17:00:18

There probably wasnt a thread because theres no way its not going through.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to New UK gay marriage law. 2013-02-05 17:53:27

A gay MP made a great speech about why it matters. He started off by reminded the house that this is about people, and he summed that off with a story about his own life and how he and his partner had been together for 20 years, how they're in a civil partnership, which he admitted offered the same benefits as a marriage, but he said, you don't get down on one knee and ask them if they wish to have civil partnership benefits with you. You ask to be married. And there is no reason why two people in love shouldn't be able to say that they are married. Civil partnership is a cop out word. It might mean the same thing on paper but it doesn't mean the same thing in your heart.

Sure a lot of churches can reject marrying two men or two women if they want but places will allow it and then two very in love people can stand with their straight married friends and be equal.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to New UK gay marriage law. 2013-02-05 19:15:42

At 2/5/13 03:49 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: However, there's something I don't get about this: The law doesn't actually force churches to marry gay couples. They have the ability to make the choice themselves, and every major religious organisation in the UK has already said they wouldn't do it regardless of the law. So what's the point of a law allowing gay marriage if there are no churches in the UK that'll play along? The only place you could get 'married' would be in a registry office, and that'd be no different than just getting a civil partnership in the first place (it comes with pretty much all the same rights as a marriage).

n the apparent logic failure in letting the churches decide the availability of places gay couples could get married.
Tbh this is very good. It is good that it isn't being forced in such a way as it means eventually the religious places will learn to open up to it when they realise how normal gay marriage is. One place will turn, then another will turn, and slowly it will open up until most areas do it.

Forcing the religious buildings to do it will never be a good thing as the priests wouldn't want to and the churches as a whole will find it to be an unwanted chore they need to do rather than something they will happily perform.

They have absolutely no right to complain about this since it isn't forced upon them, if they complain they will be completely in the wrong. And this is exactly what the world needs to open up, to have people learning to accept it as normality.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to New UK gay marriage law. 2013-02-05 19:18:07

At 2/5/13 05:53 PM, Gagsy wrote: you don't get down on one knee and ask them if they wish to have civil partnership benefits with you. You ask to be married. And there is no reason why two people in love shouldn't be able to say that they are married. Civil partnership is a cop out word. It might mean the same thing on paper but it doesn't mean the same thing in your heart.

Sure a lot of churches can reject marrying two men or two women if they want but places will allow it and then two very in love people can stand with their straight married friends and be equal.

This is both beautiful and true, I agree. If I was to marry one day I would want it to be marriage, not something else.

At 2/5/13 07:15 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: n the apparent logic failure in letting the churches decide the availability of places gay couples could get married.

Ignore that bit, failed quoting.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature