00:00
00:00

Buda Quotes...

528 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Buda Quotes... 2013-02-05 00:33:47

Recently a friend posted a quote from Buda on Facebook: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." Now I get the metaphor of this, anger is self destructive, but it got me thinking that I really don't get how it logically makes sense. If you throw a hot coal at someone, they will obviously be burned as well.

Hmmm.

Response to Buda Quotes... 2013-02-05 00:36:18

Ok no. You pick it up it is too hot to even hold, nevermind through. You will burn your hand off.

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to Buda Quotes... 2013-02-05 01:59:08

...It's spelled Buddha.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Buda Quotes... 2013-02-05 02:09:09

Benja, this kid looks like you

Buda Quotes...

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Buda Quotes... 2013-02-05 02:14:58

At 2/5/13 12:33 AM, benjadaninja wrote: Now I get the metaphor of this, anger is self destructive, but it got me thinking that I really don't get how it logically makes sense.

Intepreting metaphors literally inevitably leads to confusion, regardless of source.

Response to Buda Quotes... 2013-02-05 03:19:09

At 2/5/13 12:33 AM, benjadaninja wrote: Recently a friend posted a quote from Buda on Facebook: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." Now I get the metaphor of this, anger is self destructive, but it got me thinking that I really don't get how it logically makes sense. If you throw a hot coal at someone, they will obviously be burned as well.

The intent of throwing a hot coal, so the quote doesn't signify that you actually throw the coal, you just burn yourself through hatred. If you actually do throw the coal, the person you throw it at will obviously beat you up, and leave you in a much worse state than you already are, burned and scared for life, so what the quote is really saying is: don't bring a knife to a gunfight. IOW, don't bring a burning coal when you could bring a burning soul so cold it's hurling stones.

Check out the New Review Crew / Hexalist #51 (Mar)

BBS Signature