00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jesspionic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your favorite Gaming Generation

929 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-01-31 22:50:44

What's your favorite gen? Why you liked that generation the most. And your favorite game in that gen.

For me, it would have to be 6th gen. PS2, GC and all that. I do like 7th generation as well and I think that it has a lot of fun and worthwhile games. But to be honest, I actually missed out on it. Since I never owned a 7th gen console, nor do I have the PC to run those games.

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-01-31 23:21:14

It's probably obvious if you've read any other posts I've made but I like the PS1 and N64 era most. It's not all nostalgia based because I still games for both consoles that I've never played before and most of them are quality games.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-01-31 23:34:04

The gamecube and playstation 2. Most of the games I own and that are my favorite are for those two consoles.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-01-31 23:59:28

That's a very tough question. The current generation is alright...but it doesn't have that 'special' feel to it. If I had to base the question on which generation brought me the most fun and entertainment though, I would have to go with the sixth generation. I can remember most of the games I played for the Gamecube, most of which will be classics some day.

If I had to pick which generation impacted me the most as a gamer, it would be the fifth. The N64 blew my mind when it first came out. However, if I had to pick an absolute favorite it would likely be the fourth generation. I just have really fond memories of being a kid and getting up really early to play my SNES and not having a care in the world. Man...those were good times. *closes ancient book of gaming lore and flies off*

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 00:04:17

My favorite gaming generation has to be the Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox Era. This generation spawned a lot of new games and series that I really enjoyed.
Viewtiful Joe
Okami
Jak and Daxter
Resident Evil 4
Halo
F.E.A.R.
Katamari series
Pikmin
Kingdom Hearts
God of War
The list goes on. This generation started and continued a lot of great game series and had its share of one hit wonders. It was also the last generation before DLC and Season Passes came along and corrupted gaming.
PSX, N64, Dreamcast Era is a very close second.

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 04:58:12

The N64 / PS1 for me, but I guess that mostly has to do with the fact that I was still a kid in those days and everything was new and amazing to me. I still play my N64 regularly though, doing reruns of the Zelda games, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 05:15:30

The 5th generation (PSX, N64) is probably the most memorable, that's the generation I started with so obviously it was special. Remember Doom 64, Vigilante 8, Croc 2, FF7, Breath of Fire, Resident Evil 1-3... there were a lot of good games back then! Still, my favorite games are for PS2 or GC, like Resident Evil 4, Alien Hominid, Oni... don't know which one of those I'd chose.

I've always refered to those ^ as gen 2 and 3, heh, everything else was before my time. I play all old favorites on a regular computer now though, much easier.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 05:37:31

4th or 6th.

Probably 6th. It really comes down to Mega Drive vs PS2.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 08:05:54

At 2/1/13 05:37 AM, TheMaster wrote: Probably 6th. It really comes down to Mega Drive vs PS2.

Sonic fan? I never really liked the console controls before joysticks started popping up on the pads, but there's a lot o nostalgia there..

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 09:09:43

6th gen all the way. 5th gen was good for nostalgia, but I have more gems from the 6th gen.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 09:22:05

I WOULD say PS1/N64 era as that's when I was properly introduced to gaming. However, a majority of my favorite childhood games were from the PS2/GameCube era so I'd go for this one.

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 10:05:12

At 2/1/13 09:37 AM, tyler2513 wrote: The fast paced action games, the cool RPGs, the lengthy epic adventure games and amazing revolutionary platformers made this generation my favourite.

Any mentionale titles cept for SMB?

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 11:09:05

The DOS era

PC gaming was best even back then

Just a chick with a dick.

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 11:36:29

It's a tie between the 4th and 5th generation. There are so many awesome games on those consoles.

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-01 19:53:58

Can't say I have a favorite. I've played great, memorable games on every generation of consoles.

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-02 03:25:47

At 2/1/13 09:00 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote: Doom, Resident Evil, Unreal Tournament 99, Quake, Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 episodes

Ah, there's a nice line of favorites...

At 2/1/13 11:09 AM, DickChick wrote: PC gaming was best even back then

And it always will be!!

At 2/1/13 11:49 PM, tyler2513 wrote: I have a very slow mind so you may have to help me out here. Do you mean SMB is the only mentionable title that fits into any of those categories or whether that's the only mentionable SNES game? I'm not quite sure.

I meant SMB was the only memorable title from that generation that I know of. When you mention 'fast paced action games, the cool RPGs, the lengthy epic adventure games and amazing revolutionary platformers', which games are you thinking of?

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-02 11:12:52

At 1/31/13 11:34 PM, SmartyPants wrote: The gamecube and playstation 2. Most of the games I own and that are my favorite are for those two consoles.

Either this or the Amiga days, I was a huge Amiga fan back when it was at its prime. I have played more Amiga games than I have done for all other consoles / computers, perhaps even combined but maybe not.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-02 14:09:15

At 2/2/13 11:40 AM, Cootie wrote: I am surprised by all the people saying N64 and PS1 era. Those were good consoles and had some amazing games don't get me wrong on that, but it seemed like the transition from 2D to 3D was kind of awkward and those games have aged worse than most.

I disagree, I think the majority of PS1 and N64 games have held up amazingly well. Most of those games I can play again and again still, I even still buy new (to me) games form that generation and they're a lot better than some of the modern ones being released.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-02 14:37:19

16-bit... I prefer the SNES. The console and controllers are incredibly reliable, you would really have to fuck one up for it to stop working. Also, all the classics... Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, DKC series, Zelda, Super Metroid... the list goes on and on.

Currently it's the only console I own. I've simply gotten bored of gaming, which is hard to believe since I grew up doing it. When my sister announced she wanted to take my PS3 to college, I didn't object, simply because I'd gotten tired of it. The only game I had enjoyed on it in years was Dark Souls(don't get me wrong though, while I didn't think it was a 10/10 game, I still had fun with it).

Originally I was a huge Nintendo fanboy... but I dunno... ever since the Wii... the Wii is what made me make the switch to the PS3. The PS3 was better, but still not amazing. Tried getting into PC gaming, but the only games I really enjoyed were the early Elder Scrolls games, L4D, and some indie games...

Maybe I'm still a Nintendo fanboy at heart. Maybe, all I have to do is look past the gimmicks, lack of difficulty, lack of third party support, lack of hardware power, and I'll see the Nintendo I saw in the N64 and SNES, and even a little bit in the Gamecube.

I always have liked 2D games better than 3D ones...

Your favorite Gaming Generation

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-02 17:03:51

At 2/2/13 11:40 AM, Cootie wrote: I am surprised by all the people saying N64 and PS1 era. Those were good consoles and had some amazing games don't get me wrong on that, but it seemed like the transition from 2D to 3D was kind of awkward and those games have aged worse than most.

Indeed. The 3D games that tried to be new age at the time really didn't clear the transition well, great games like Vigilante 8 or Ridge Racer or GT just don't cut it any longer. On the other hand, games like Goldeneye and Doom and Resident Evil are still a great experience to play, they might not be graphically superior but they're not ugly at all. Also the Nintendo games. The graphics for the Mario games on N64, for example, don't seem to age at all. Then there are those 2D games like Metal Slug, still as sick as ever. The sprite games made for this generation were pretty slick compared to the old ones too...

At 2/2/13 10:59 AM, tyler2513 wrote: Ah, thank you for clearing that up. By fast paced action games I meant Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, Star Fox. By cool RPGs I meant Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG. By length epic adventure games I meant Earthbound, Super Turrican 2, the Mega Man games, Donkey Kong Country. By amazing revolutionary platformers I meant Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and again Mega Man, Castlevania and the Donkey Kong games. Sonic was pretty neat too.

I've definitely missed a bunch of classics then. Didn't know there was a Mario RPG either, must check that out. Most of the other games ring a bell but I haven't played most of them.

BBS Signature

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-02 17:42:48

The Gamecube/Ps2/Xbox generation, hands down.

Response to Your favorite Gaming Generation 2013-02-02 17:52:58

The 5th and 6th generation