00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The future of 2D animation

1,333 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The future of 2D animation 2013-01-31 19:07:56

watch this video and check this shit out

it looks awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJLtujW6FY

It's like 3d motion tweening

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-01 01:10:02

At 1/31/13 07:07 PM, Kellz5460 wrote: watch this video and check this shit out

it looks awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJLtujW6FY

It's like 3d motion tweening

math is fun

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-01 11:25:22

I see the process shown as inefficient personally; having to create a 3d model and do the 2d lines/drawing is, in my mind, kind of like having two powertools that do the same thing.

The results look like, I just don't see the practicality of it even given the results of the short.

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-04 23:13:07

At 2/1/13 11:25 AM, Tanadrine-Studios wrote: I see the process shown as inefficient personally; having to create a 3d model and do the 2d lines/drawing is, in my mind, kind of like having two powertools that do the same thing.

The results look like, I just don't see the practicality of it even given the results of the short.

Its 3d short with a Toon shader on the practicality is for things not having to be drawn out for an animation.

So in sort its a 3D short with Paint effects and a ToonShader

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-06 07:01:49

That seems like a lot more work than just drawing the picture...

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-06 12:33:00

At 2/6/13 07:01 AM, Celshaded wrote: That seems like a lot more work than just drawing the picture...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-13 04:04:12

At 2/6/13 07:01 AM, Celshaded wrote: That seems like a lot more work than just drawing the picture...

I wouldn't say that; See, because once you have the "look" (all the shaders, lighting and effects) in place all you need to do is "tween" the moving parts (move the rig) to animate.

Rather than draw out the person(s) every time, frame by frame for a short that could be potentially 5 to 10 to 15 min long. (most of whats on new-grounds with some exceptions are 2min or less of actual animation most what is here is lipsync and static images)

Plus the fact that it will be on a 24 frames per Second frame rate, which is the standard production frame rate for Cg-movies and Cartoons (its odd that flash starts people out on 12fps)

So now do you still say its easier to draw it out? Knowing that you'll have to draw out 7,200 to 21,600 images not to mention any animation frame under 24 will look almost identical to the next if your going for smooth fluid motion or subtleties and last lets than a second.
(the Movie "The Incredibles" is a 23.95 frame rate movie)

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-14 08:33:18

At 2/13/13 04:04 AM, NeoNero7 wrote:
I wouldn't say that; See, because once you have the "look" (all the shaders, lighting and effects) in place all you need to do is "tween" the moving parts (move the rig) to animate.

What they don't show you is all the hand-drawn frames they had to do when the characters start turning around and doing anything that can't be tweened. It was an inefficient use of time for a cliche 3d animation. Of course they're only going to show you the "good" looking parts of the workflow in their showcase... that's just how bigwigs work.

Just my thoughts :)

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-14 11:25:56

At 2/14/13 08:33 AM, Tanadrine-Studios wrote: What they don't show you is all the hand-drawn frames they had to do when the characters start turning around and doing anything that can't be tweened. It was an inefficient use of time for a cliche 3d animation. Of course they're only going to show you the "good" looking parts of the workflow in their showcase... that's just how bigwigs work.

Just my thoughts :)

Um, but this is a fully 3D short nothing was drawn to make it, (except production art)

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-14 21:51:10

At 2/14/13 06:05 PM, mandog wrote: When disney movies were hand drawn, it was so smooth, my god was it smooth.

24fps will make anything smooth as long as you do the inbetweens right

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-15 03:41:15

Awesome, looks sick!

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to The future of 2D animation 2013-02-15 04:31:01

I loved this short when I first saw it in cinema but I still think it would've been more magical had it been pure 2D (Although the point of the short probably was to utilize this technique).
My first thought while viewing it was "oh that's a smart way.. " and from then on I kept looking at the technical aspect instead of getting drawn into the movie. Maybe it's just an animator illness to look at movies from this perspective that separates us from the general audience.

BBS Signature