00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StemlyAnarchy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Depressed at college

2,116 Views | 35 Replies

Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:01:56

Exactly what the title says.

I didn't feel ready to come back and i'm in grief having to leave my girlfriend and brother for some time.

I'm really worried about my major (history major) if it's hard or not and i have absolutely no motivation to do work.

the last place i want to be is college. I seriously can't stop crying.

what do

Apple is a communist dynasty that is trying to take the world down in flames under its oppressive boot. Samsung will surge the universe into glory #androidnation

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:08:07

I left school last year and haven't been back since due to feeling depressed. I was very axious at school, I would rock up an hour late to avoid seeing people in the morning and because it was hard to force myself to go. I'd be on edge all day and would feel like crying a lot. It was like that for four years. I couldn't get the work done so there wasn't much point in staying anyways.

Take some time off and go back when you feel ready. It will help.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:13:07

History major? theres your problem.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:16:43

At 1/31/13 01:01 AM, Piemix wrote: I seriously can't stop crying.

I considered this the punch line.

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:17:41

At 1/31/13 01:13 AM, DarkMatter wrote: History major? theres your problem.

i've always been good with it and i want to be a teacher, so i thought that was the right path but right now i'm dreading it

Apple is a communist dynasty that is trying to take the world down in flames under its oppressive boot. Samsung will surge the universe into glory #androidnation

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:39:26

At 1/31/13 01:01 AM, Piemix wrote: Exactly what the title says.

Shhh, it's okay. Come here *hug*

I didn't feel ready to come back and i'm in grief having to leave my girlfriend and brother for some time.

You'll surely see them sometime, don't worry!

I'm really worried about my major (history major) if it's hard or not and i have absolutely no motivation to do work.

You just have to try, apply yourself and do your best.

the last place i want to be is college. I seriously can't stop crying.
what do

You should absolutely stay in school. Education is very important in today's workforce. You don't have to be a mindless puppet though and follow suit like all of the other "muggles" out there. Think for yourself but still learn and perfect your skills!

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:45:14

Wait, did you say girlfriend? Did you say you were crying.

I'm going to assume, that you posted pics but only I cant see em because of computer problems.

Hold on, let me text my bro Bill

Heres the convo between me and Bill Gates

Depressed at college

If they set that android free it will be THE END OF ALL OF US!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 01:59:01

These problems are so first world they make me want to jump out of your screen and hit you over the head with "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" in one hand and "Autobiography of My Dead Brother" in the other.

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 02:10:19

I'd love to trade my problems for, "I miss my girlfriend" and "I'm not sure about my major". So someone in a scond world country would probably trade their left nut for a chance to trade problems.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 02:11:56

If it were easy, everybody would do it.

You need to evaluate your priorities; how passionate are you to this major and the career that you're setting yourself up for?

I found myself in a lucky position, where no amount of college would really effect my employability in the fields that I'm interested in. So I spot-checked courses that were relevant to building skills, and once they were done, and I knew what I needed to know, I saved money and time by not pursuing the degree portion.

I'm currently doing developmental math and I'm working. But that's my predicament. I looked into it, asked people who were already in the jobs that I wanted, and listened to their advice...

You need to ask people who are veterans in the job position you want...their experience and wisdoms will be valuable to you. Just remember that college is just naturally, notoriously stressful. IT IS. There's no shame in getting a little overwhelmed, it happens.

Drop a few courses to let off some pressures if you absolutely must (and it's not too late)...otherwise, your social life and NG time is taking a back-seat while you focus on your studies, and unwinding in the middle...parties ain't important right now...RELAXING is...give your brain some time to breathe, hang around a productive environment, and be aware if there's anything in your immediate surroundings that might be DIRECTLY effecting your mood. It could be anything as simple as lighting or even a subconcious trigger to a bad memory.

Think, McFly.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 02:14:04

At 1/31/13 02:04 AM, Xenomit wrote: That shit is so stupid it makes me want to jump out of your screen and hit you over the head with a lead pipe.

This is what I was going to post. Go ruff it with the Ethiopians dickhead.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 02:16:25

At 1/31/13 02:14 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/31/13 02:14 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
At 1/31/13 02:04 AM, Xenomit wrote: That shit is so stupid it makes me want to jump out of your screen and hit you over the head with a lead pipe.
This is what I was going to post. Go ruff it with the Ethiopians dickhead.
Wait, am I the dickhead?

You're not.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 02:18:03

I would give a limb to be in college right now. I'm stuck now with a low income full time job because I have responsibilities which means I need to earn money, which means I can't just up and quit that and go back to my education. As much as I'm literally craving too.

So man up and realise that getting yourself through college is generally the best way you can go on to do something with your life.

Otherwise you'll still be crying, just in a dead end job like moi.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 02:18:18

College is honestly not fun at all if you go to a good college.

That paper you get at the end of the road, tho. That shit is solid gold.

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 02:21:45

At 1/31/13 02:18 AM, Bolo wrote:
That paper you get at the end of the road, tho. That shit is solid gold.

Priorities. It's fine to be homesick every once and a while, but you got TECHNOLOGY on your side to hold you over for when shit gets rough, OP. Stick with it.... if it were easy, everybody would do it.

You have opportunity and time on your side. Both resources are finite.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 03:37:43

The life of a high school grad who isn't in college and is working a minimum wage soul sucking job is not even fucking close to as glamorous as it looks when you're having a bad day at college.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 03:39:21

Stop complaining.

We're all depressed. It's the human condition.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 04:19:08

Senior and fellow history major here, and I've dealt with my fair share of homesickness and major choice anxiety too. By the content of your post I'm assuming you're a freshman (maybe a sophomore), so I'll respond accordingly, sorry if that's not correct.

At 1/31/13 01:01 AM, Piemix wrote: I didn't feel ready to come back

I've pretty much felt the same way to varying degrees at the beginning of all eight semesters. It's a totally normal feeling, and the best way to deal with it is to keep yourself busy. Just totally throw yourself back into your school life, both academically and socially, instead of dwelling on things. You'll feel better once you readapt to your school life routines.

i'm in grief having to leave my girlfriend and brother for some time.

Look, of all the people I know who first went off to school with SOs from home, more or less none of them are still together. That's not meant to be discouraging, but the fact of the matter is that long-distance relationships are really fucking hard, and with all the other stresses you have to deal with you might both be making things needlessly difficult for yourselves. Just a thought.

Well it's not exactly engineering or pre-med, but this is college. It's going to be tough (unless you're a business major, ha). Seriously, though, no matter what your major is it's going to be hard work. That's why it's important to pick something you know you really, truly have an interest in.

At 1/31/13 01:17 AM, Piemix wrote: i've always been good with it and i want to be a teacher, so i thought that was the right path but right now i'm dreading it

Again, assuming that you're still at a relatively early stage in your college career, you don't need to be mapping out your whole life right now. If teaching history is something you think you might want to do, then great, by all means keep pursuing it. But you don't have to wed yourself to it. Explore all your options, find out what you're into. Some might disagree, but I'm of the belief that that's what college is for.

If you find that you do really want to teach, then history is a fine major for that. If not, you have time to change. People switch their majors all the time, it's not that big a deal, especially in the humanities.

At 1/31/13 01:59 AM, naronic wrote: At 1/31/13 02:10 AM, DarkMatter wrote: some shit

The whole "First World Problems" thing is stupid. The mere existence of people with worse problems doesn't invalidate the OP's. There's always someone who has it worse. I'm sure that there are literally billions of people out there who are much worse off than both of you. That doesn't make your own problems any less legitimate either.

Not to mention that the meme basically denies that people in developing and third world countries are also three-dimensional human beings who have their own little emotional issues and get annoyed by day-to-day inconveniences like anyone else.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 05:13:21

At 1/31/13 01:08 AM, TheColourAwesome wrote: I left school last year and haven't been back since due to feeling depressed. I was very axious at school, I would rock up an hour late to avoid seeing people in the morning and because it was hard to force myself to go. I'd be on edge all day and would feel like crying a lot. It was like that for four years. I couldn't get the work done so there wasn't much point in staying anyways.

Take some time off and go back when you feel ready. It will help.

I still don't understand why you didn't like going to school so much. did u get raped or something

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 05:15:40

At 1/31/13 05:13 AM, Halberd wrote: I still don't understand why you didn't like going to school so much. did u get raped or something

I wanked in the teachers coffee and now I'm not allowed back.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 06:34:18

college was the worst decision I ever made in my life.

Never go there.

in fact, never grow up. It's good to be a kid.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 06:39:17

At 1/31/13 06:34 AM, HighWay wrote: college was the worst decision I ever made in my life.

Never go there.

in fact, never grow up. It's good to be a kid.

Not it's not

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 07:09:30

At 1/31/13 01:01 AM, Piemix wrote: I didn't feel ready to come back and i'm in grief having to leave my girlfriend..

Plenty more fish in dat ocean.

Otto, what a guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 08:10:28

At 1/31/13 01:13 AM, DarkMatter wrote: History major? theres your problem.

Yep. Quit before you're jobless and $100k in debt.

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 08:18:37

At 1/31/13 01:01 AM, Piemix wrote: I'm really worried about my major (history major) if it's hard or not and i have absolutely no motivation to do work.

history is not hard as long as you are interested in it and are willing to study. otherwise, it could be your worst nightmare.

i suggest you do nothing about it and wait and see what happens. you might need to consider a 'major' change if you show little interest in the subject, and the situation does not improve.

good luck.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 08:26:38

It's worth the depression. Probably.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 08:47:15

Stop crying pussy, it'll get better.

Soon enough you'll feel more comfortable at college, and you'll work it out with your brother and missus.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 09:30:12

At 1/31/13 01:01 AM, Piemix wrote: what do

Well, the only answer that I can really give you is what you really need to do to get through college. Step up, and keep yourself busy. Make yourself do your classwork, and keep yourself occupied with your free time. Either hang out with some friends, go out and do something fun, stay in and play a game, whatever. Anything to keep you actively doing something instead of just moping around. If you do that, time will still pass, and the only things you'll have to show for it are bad feelings.

Even if trying to enjoy yourself doesn't really work, at least you kept your mind busy, and weren't just sitting there letting things get worse.

It may not be the easiest thing you can do, but from my experience, it's one of the more helpful answers.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.

Also, dat Steam

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 10:32:00

At 1/31/13 02:04 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/31/13 01:59 AM, naronic wrote:
Rich kids have hot problems too, were just like you, except that they're first world

These are barely even problems worthy of first world label.
Just complaining about how he doesn't want to do work and leave his wowwey wady.
If you don't want to go to college you don't have to...

I don't know where the op is but It probably deserves a decimal marking

BBS Signature

Response to Depressed at college 2013-01-31 10:56:22

At 1/31/13 10:32 AM, naronic wrote:
At 1/31/13 02:04 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/31/13 01:59 AM, naronic wrote:
Rich kids have hot problems too, were just like you, except that they're first world
These are barely even problems worthy of first world label.
Just complaining about how he doesn't want to do work and leave his wowwey wady.
If you don't want to go to college you don't have to...

I don't know where the op is but It probably deserves a decimal marking

He has a problem and his decision will have a very significant impact on his life later on, he's asking for help and instead of just ignoring the topic, your response is to eat some lead paint chips and call it a first world problem.

As if that means anything.

As if just because there are people with worse problems in the world, he's shouldn't even bother asking for help.

How about you kill yourself and do the gene pool a service?