00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Video game style songs?

1,523 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Video game style songs? 2013-01-29 08:45:07

Well, I'm making a video game type loops (first time I leave the trance genre lol) and I was wondering whether this type of music has anything special to it, in terms of production, mixing and mostly in terms of mastering. Until now, all I've done is a Work in Progress, and so I was thinking, what is generally the best way to end these types of loops?

Response to Video game style songs? 2013-01-29 11:59:39

I'm guessing you mean 8-bit/chiptune type stuff?

Well, not really, it's kind of a mix between electronic and orchestral

Response to Video game style songs? 2013-01-29 12:04:24

At 1/29/13 11:25 AM, zelazon wrote:
At 1/29/13 08:45 AM, SoulofT wrote: Well, I'm making a video game type loops (first time I leave the trance genre lol) and I was wondering whether this type of music has anything special to it, in terms of production, mixing and mostly in terms of mastering. Until now, all I've done is a Work in Progress, and so I was thinking, what is generally the best way to end these types of loops?
Video game music in general is very broad so in one case, you can be dealing with orchestra or, with other types, dealing with heavy electronic-type music... So for now, it probably would be best to have an initial starting point (basically types of VG music you want to create) before you try your hand at this.

But VG remixes may be a good starting point as you can see what professionals have done in their music, and try to alter it in your own way.

Hmm yeah I'm trying to create a mix between the too, I suppose. I'm not sure how to describe it, it's kind of like the music you see on addictinggames.com games, kind of fun electronic type lol :p I would post a link of what I made so far but I'm not allowed to. Anyway, you're right, I should probably have done more research into the styles of VG music before having a go, but it was too tempting ^^
Thanks for the response!

Response to Video game style songs? 2013-01-29 13:56:21

Simplicity is the key especially when composing vg music. One of the best examples of simplicity would be Pokemon Red, blue composed by Junichi Masuda. He really doesn't have may parts in each track, but the way they play off of each other (a lot of times with a call and response pattern) it truly helps to make a timeless theme.

Although things have gotten more involved, the tracks that always shine through are the ones that keep the overall composition simple. So go and study some music and composers. Looks at the patterns in their music and see how they use them. Breakdown some of your favorite songs and see what kind of patterns cord progressions and rhythms work for you. It will help you to discover your style and help you to move beyond just duplication.

Hope that helps.

Response to Video game style songs? 2013-01-29 14:53:07

At 1/29/13 01:56 PM, StaticBlu wrote: Simplicity is the key especially when composing vg music. One of the best examples of simplicity would be Pokemon Red, blue composed by Junichi Masuda. He really doesn't have may parts in each track, but the way they play off of each other (a lot of times with a call and response pattern) it truly helps to make a timeless theme.

Yeah I see where you're going. Most of the popular tracks (not only in vg music) are simple, yet catchy and memorable. I personally love the pokemon theme lol :p

But I don't know... I just don't feel right having only like a few patterns in a track. I just keep adding more and more :/

Response to Video game style songs? 2013-01-29 15:02:18

I've posted everything from orchestral stuff to chiptunes in the VG section, anything goes as NG has no categories which are more specific (chiptunes / 8bit / whatever). Many people also post remixes / rearrangements / stolenmidifilesimportedinflstudioinvesting5minutesofworkgett ing5sbecauseeveryonelovespokemonthemes / etc. there, so there are no general "rules" for mixing / mastering etc. Anything goes, it's like a 2nd miscellaneous section.

Response to Video game style songs? 2013-01-29 15:13:38

At 1/29/13 02:53 PM, SoulofT wrote:
At 1/29/13 01:56 PM, StaticBlu wrote: Simplicity is the key especially when composing vg music. One of the best examples of simplicity would be Pokemon Red, blue composed by Junichi Masuda. He really doesn't have may parts in each track, but the way they play off of each other (a lot of times with a call and response pattern) it truly helps to make a timeless theme.
Yeah I see where you're going. Most of the popular tracks (not only in vg music) are simple, yet catchy and memorable. I personally love the pokemon theme lol :p

But I don't know... I just don't feel right having only like a few patterns in a track. I just keep adding more and more :/

What you can do is make certain patterns that you like, then have smaller parts to compliment those. One common thing to do is have one part take a lesser roll and letting another part take the lead such as the main instrument goes form lading the way to holding notes or stopping completely in order for another part to shine.There really isn't any perfect way of doing things. Just play around and don't expect to get it right the first few times. Best way is to recreate your favorite songs so you can get a better feel for what the composers do rather than just hear about it. (because I know I sound confusing)
It's one of those things that you have to practice and test out for yourself. Then usually one day an epiphany just happens and you better understand than you did before. Kind of depends on what style of music your making as well.