00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

That "extra kick"

1,602 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 20:09:17

Alrighty, so essentially what I'm looking for is how to add that "extra" kick into a beat as an accent (see examples). I've been able to do it a few times by layering the kick sample, but results aren't consistent (more often it doesn't work than is successful). So I'm asking if anyone knows how to make it sound good, meaning audible but not as pronounced as the actual 4/4 kick pattern.
Example 1: "Fire Power" by Wolfgang Gartner (heard at 0:08-0:09)

Example 2: "Nazis" by Mr Oizo (heard at 0:19-0:20)

Here be dragons... No... Just kidding. That's a wall, I do believe.

//ROMULUS\\

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 20:41:34

At 1/24/13 08:35 PM, DoxOfficial wrote: not a fan of the 4/4 kick pattern... way too easy, traditional, and not original. i know i didn't help with your question - i was just stating my opinion.

Thank you for your wonderful opinion.

//ROMULUS\\

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 21:01:17

Find a suitable kick sample, lower the volume and pan slightly in one direction. If the tail of the main kick is clashing with the extra kick, high-pass the lows on the extra kick to taste.

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 21:34:52

You're going for that typical "over the top" dance kick I see.

Next, for the sound itself, you need something to get you started so try an electronic percussion VST (there are lots) and choose a drum kick that has the TONE you're looking for (not the impact, you can create that, but tone is more important at this stage). Once you have a sample you just have to mix it.
Well, sub woofers hit between 60 and 100 hz usually so boost around there for a start. Don't add reverb to kick drums EVER in this kind of music. Try using compression to make the kick ring out for longer but DO NOT kill the transients (make sure the compressor leaves at least 40-60ms attack for example).

The rest is experimentation.
I've never made this kind of sound myself since I don't need to, but the theory is all there.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 22:27:45

Next, for the sound itself, you need something to get you started so try an electronic percussion VST (there are lots) and choose a drum kick that has the TONE you're looking for (not the impact, you can create that, but tone is more important at this stage). Once you have a sample you just have to mix it.
Well, sub woofers hit between 60 and 100 hz usually so boost around there for a start. Don't add reverb to kick drums EVER in this kind of music. Try using compression to make the kick ring out for longer but DO NOT kill the transients (make sure the compressor leaves at least 40-60ms attack for example).

Thanks, a bit over informing but thanks. I'm not new to this, I just haven't really figured out the as you say "over the top" kick.

//ROMULUS\\

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 22:49:06

At 1/24/13 08:35 PM, DoxOfficial wrote: not a fan of the 4/4 kick pattern... way too easy, traditional, and not original. i know i didn't help with your question - i was just stating my opinion.

Trance is actually hard as fuck

lel

BBS Signature

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 22:55:31

He's talking about a the small kick fills lol.

Not the actual kick itself.

Just copy the kick, make the copy a bit shorter than the original. Pitch up or down if you want.

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 23:39:19

At 1/24/13 10:49 PM, Sequenced wrote:
Trance is actually hard as fuck

for the sake of argumentation,

not really.

but music isnt defined by how "hard" it is to make.

Response to That "extra kick" 2013-01-24 23:58:09

At 1/24/13 10:55 PM, jpbear wrote: He's talking about a the small kick fills lol.

Not the actual kick itself.

Just copy the kick, make the copy a bit shorter than the original. Pitch up or down if you want.

Simplicity, thank you.

//ROMULUS\\