00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Books you're currently reading...

13,754 Views | 197 Replies

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-02-25 00:26:41

with all that time spent you could have raised money to buy the book, wtf

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-02-25 00:31:24

I have only read 5 books in my life for school assignments .

I wonder if there is Legacy of Kain book . Probably the only thing I would be interested in reading

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-02-25 04:28:33

Do audiobooks count? If so: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-03 13:32:58

At 3/3/15 12:48 PM, SentForMe wrote: Been reading the the US Pilot's Handbook for Aeronautical Knowledge. I figure I might get my private pilot's license here at some point and it would be good to be familiar with the rules and regulations. It's not very interesting reading, but it is informative.

I had to read that last semester for my intro to aviation class. Once you get to the more technical aspects it gets a bit more interesting. I find that a good instructor can teach you everything in lecture that the book teaches so if it gets too dry for you just try enrolling in ground school.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-15 11:26:22

Currently reading the book Alamut by Vladimir Bartol.

Not only is it a story about the crusades, and the historical Nizari Ismaili Assassins, but it is also a careful metaphor and criticism of Fascism and Totalitarianism. It's also the inspiration for the story of the original Assassin's creed game. It's a good read so far.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-15 11:27:44

I made a books thread in the clubs & crews after a few people in a few threads expressed an interest.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-15 18:42:10

I'm currently reading "The Son of Neptune" by Rick Riordan. I'm a huge fan of his books.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-15 19:22:12

a game of thrones.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-15 19:25:10

I am reading the history of the Purge of the Tainted Water, definitely an interesting read and lends to me a new appreciation for that gruesome war

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-15 20:30:07

At 1/28/15 09:06 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'm on "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, which is really enjoyable (well, for the reader). It's short, but I think it's worth chewing over the words.

I bought a copy of that book a few weeks ago after seeing the movie adaptation. I've been meaning to get to it, but I'm still working on Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.

Have you seen the movie version? Its overall tone is so fucking depressing, but it's a damn good film. Aside from Blood Meridian, I've not read any McCarthy.

Click here and we'll become good friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-16 04:47:15

Being And Nothingness by Jean Paul Sarte.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-16 05:49:16

At 3/15/15 08:30 PM, Seasons wrote:
At 1/28/15 09:06 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'm on "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, which is really enjoyable (well, for the reader). It's short, but I think it's worth chewing over the words.
I bought a copy of that book a few weeks ago after seeing the movie adaptation. I've been meaning to get to it, but I'm still working on Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.
Have you seen the movie version? Its overall tone is so fucking depressing, but it's a damn good film.

I haven't seen the movie, but my friend who gifted me the book did see the movie first. If I recall, he said that he found the book slightly different to the movie adaptation, which partly puts me off since I like the experience that I got from the book. But by the sounds of what you said I think they sound similar - the story and their world IS depressing and horrible, but the father is attempting to lead his son through it.

Aside from Blood Meridian, I've not read any McCarthy.

Haven't read any other McCarthy, but I've seen "No Country For Old Men". It might be the combination of McCarthy with the Coen brothers, but I love this film, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-16 06:00:51

I started reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I've already watched the movie, but I heard the book was better, so I'm reading it. I find it a bit confusing, though... because of the Russian-English-slang language aka Nadsat.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-20 09:20:18

I'm like maybe a quarter into A Dance With Dragons. Hope I will finish up reading it before next season of GoT starts, but I doubt I will.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

At 3/16/15 06:00 AM, RandyRandom wrote: I started reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I've already watched the movie, but I heard the book was better, so I'm reading it. I find it a bit confusing, though... because of the Russian-English-slang language aka Nadsat.

I think most copies of the book have a dictionary in the back if you come across a word you don't quite understand. When I read it I didn't know and got super pissed once I was finished with the book and noticed the glossary pages.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-03-20 10:56:39

At 3/20/15 09:23 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 3/16/15 06:00 AM, RandyRandom wrote: I started reading A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. I've already watched the movie, but I heard the book was better, so I'm reading it. I find it a bit confusing, though... because of the Russian-English-slang language aka Nadsat.
I think most copies of the book have a dictionary in the back if you come across a word you don't quite understand. When I read it I didn't know and got super pissed once I was finished with the book and noticed the glossary pages.

There was no Nadsat glossary, but I've kinda gotten used to it. What do think about the book? And do you think it would be better if it was written without slang?

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-04-03 16:59:39

Right now i'm reading the novel Going After Cacciato by Tim O' Brein

I suck at drawing and I hate the fuckin' Eagles.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-04-03 17:31:04

I am currently reading the Gospel of Saint John and 2 Samuel.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-04-03 17:47:48

Currently I'm reading Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. Yes it's clich'e to check out someones work right after they die but I was at the library and figured what the hell.
It's early in but I'm liking it. He definitely has a very particular use of language that's going to take getting used to.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

I read books in queues-- in slots. It's unorthodox, but at least it makes sure I don't get tired of what I'm reading.
Browser tabs have screwed my life up.

I'm in the middle, or at least at a fourth of each. It's a strange method, it is.

Currently, Slaughterhouse-Five has managed to keep me reading it through and thick, which gives it the 1st slot.

SLOT 1: Slaughterhouse-Five
SLOT 2: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
SLOT 3: Break Into Screenwriting

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-04-25 10:24:49

Obraz..
Good book made me emotionaly broke

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-04-25 10:51:01

I finally got my Master's degree (yeah!) so that means I'm no longer going to be reading my textbooks anymore, but I will keep them around for reference. I have a few books I have not entirely read, but now, I'm not really concerned with reading them anymore.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-05-27 23:19:07

Just got done reading Thomas Oliver's The Real Coke, The Real Story. Really good telling of the history of Coca-Cola and how they allowed extreme paranoia over Pepsi gaining on them in popularity goad them into changing their flagship product and pissing off the entire country in the process. I'd recommend!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-05-28 00:28:54

At 5/27/15 11:19 PM, ZJ wrote:

:I'd recommend!

lol my dad has this book actually.... i may give it a go

Back Spin by Harlan Coben
it's a crime fiction shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-06-18 16:51:10

In anticipation for the movie that is set to release in November, I bought The Martian a couple of days ago and am hooked. 200 pages in so far. If the movie doesn't stray too far away from its inspiration, it should be well worth the watch.

"A science fiction novel, the story follows an American astronaut, Mark Watney, as he becomes stranded alone on Mars and must improvise in order to survive.[2][3][4] It has been described as an Apollo 13 meets Cast Away ..."

Some readers might feel overwhelmed with all the math and engineering lingo thrown around between the character dialogue and main protagonist monologue, but they are constructed in a way that you can understand the ideas and thought processes the characters are formulating, so it's still a relatively easy read for guys like me! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-06-18 16:52:00

slaughter house five

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-06-18 23:30:42

I'm currently reading Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. The book is basically a collection of stories about unusual musical experiences and conditions. It's fascinating.

BBS Signature

I read it many years ago, but I recently started reading The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov again. It's one of the greatest works of science fiction, IMO.

Response to Books you're currently reading... 2015-08-17 21:06:21

Just finished Dracula a while ago ,now I'm moving on to Frankenstein.