00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

renatocfrancisco just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help for a new musician?

1,141 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 21:23:07

I basically started making audio about a month ago. I have developed a passion for the creation of almost any form of music by my own hand. I play Alto Sax, Trumpet, Piano, and Flutaphone, but I have little to no understanding of basic music theory. I need help with things such as chord progressions and giving my songs a fuller, richer feel to them. I use LMMS, which I have little to no understanding of. So any help catering to the most uninformed/ignorant of people pertaining to the use of LMMS, and the application of basic music theory is much appreciated. I have an audio submission on my page, and an alternate page known as "Ghostbishop" with two additional audio submissions for you to judge and decide were my areas of musicality start to falter.

TL;DR- I suck at making music, and I need help :3

Steam ID- Snide Sphinx

Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 22:38:37

At 1/20/13 09:54 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I'm suck at music too.

Googled and found http://www.musictheory.net/ , might help

This should be a pretty good start to understanding music theory. I would suggest that after getting very comfortable with the information on that site, you should really start looking at scores of pieces in a genre you like, and start experimenting with chord progressions (Keep in mind, different chord progressions are better/more commonly used in different genres).
If you still find that you need help with anything involving theory, you can always send me a PM, because I've taken four years of theory class and so I think I can probably be of service.

Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 23:13:55

At 1/20/13 09:23 PM, PotensVeneficus wrote: I basically started making audio about a month ago. I have developed a passion for the creation of almost any form of music by my own hand. I play Alto Sax, Trumpet, Piano, and Flutaphone, but I have little to no understanding of basic music theory. I need help with things such as chord progressions and giving my songs a fuller, richer feel to them. I use LMMS, which I have little to no understanding of. So any help catering to the most uninformed/ignorant of people pertaining to the use of LMMS, and the application of basic music theory is much appreciated. I have an audio submission on my page, and an alternate page known as "Ghostbishop" with two additional audio submissions for you to judge and decide were my areas of musicality start to falter.

TL;DR- I suck at making music, and I need help :3

You improve your music by making it. Make your music, publish it, get feedback, improve. Learn a little about music theory. You don't need to learn how to read notes, you just need to understand how music operates.

Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 23:52:57

You probably know more theory than you think, learn the extent of notation, learn what chords are, and then learn to build them by ear and definition.

Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-21 04:21:01

- listen a lot of music;
- be inspired by someone or make your own fresh style;
- be patience;
- study some theory, it doesn't hurt;
- learn playing some instruments, it can help;
- keep trying, experimenting, etc, you can't sit and say "today i'm gonna make music";

I guess that is all, also
- listen my song lol

SUCK MY KICK

Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-21 10:12:19

Yeah, keep listening to music, peforming and practicing music, and composing/ mixing music...It doesn't hurt to sit down on the keys and figure out songs you like, too. This will give you a sense of how chords work. Most pop songs are basically in one key--Almost all the chords and melody usually fall into one scale--Sometimes they modulate for a bit, but that's basically how it works. Find the scale the song is in, figure out the chords it uses, and build a melody. What you GL!