00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Should I buy a Supporter Badge?

2,481 Views | 45 Replies

Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:09:21

Convince me to buy a Supporter Badge. I love NG and whatnot, but you're dealing with a Jew, here, guys.

Perks?
Does the cost outweigh the perks?
Possibility of Tom rewarding Supporters in the future?

@metraff @NG_Artists Support Newgrounds Classifieds: commission animation

"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:10:22

be a team player

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:12:06

because otherwise your 464 posts have gone to waste

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:13:18

eh I wouldn't do it. I like this site and all but I don't know why I would give a multi-million dollar website 25$ bucks to get a useless "e-badge"

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:14:30

At 1/19/13 09:13 PM, 372 wrote: I like this site and all but I don't know why I would give a multi-million dollar website 25$ bucks to get a useless "e-badge"

That's the way I feel about it. But I wonder if there's a possibility of Tom giving Supporters a reward in the future.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:16:37

At 1/19/13 09:14 PM, 3Flay wrote:
At 1/19/13 09:13 PM, 372 wrote: I like this site and all but I don't know why I would give a multi-million dollar website 25$ bucks to get a useless "e-badge"
That's the way I feel about it. But I wonder if there's a possibility of Tom giving Supporters a reward in the future.

if it does happen I honestly think it's just gonna be your user name in the credits to some flash or something really lame...lol

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:18:35

I think we can all agree this site is great but $25 is a little steep.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:22:52

At 1/19/13 09:16 PM, 372 wrote: if it does happen I honestly think it's just gonna be your user name in the credits to some flash or something really lame...lol

That's probably true, lol. I mean, what more would Tom be able to give everyone who tossed him some cash?

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:23:46

At 1/19/13 09:18 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: I think we can all agree this site is great but $25 is a little steep.

I think it's worth considering why they are even asking, remember newgrounds is run by ordinary folks not a corporation, and often they make decisions that are more based around the user rather than making big profits.

in 2008 newgrounds was worth about $6 Million + but now it's around $1.2 Million. So perhaps they are finding it harder to cover the costs of hosting all this content..

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:29:00

At 1/19/13 09:23 PM, Fim wrote:
At 1/19/13 09:18 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote: I think we can all agree this site is great but $25 is a little steep.
I think it's worth considering why they are even asking, remember newgrounds is run by ordinary folks not a corporation, and often they make decisions that are more based around the user rather than making big profits.

in 2008 newgrounds was worth about $6 Million + but now it's around $1.2 Million. So perhaps they are finding it harder to cover the costs of hosting all this content..

No, I know. I've had a few long talks to Luis about the sites current financial troubles. I'd be happy to give my cash and I think a lot more would too if the asking price was a little lower. And as depressing and counter productive as this sounds. If the site's failing how much cash will it take to get it as good as it was before? Will it ever be as good as it was before? I say this as an 10' of course.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:31:23

I've donated twice in the last 4 months and I'm a broke, non-Jewish college student. Surely $25 isn't too much to ask after the many years you have used Newgrounds for free.

Fudge dapping.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:32:49

At 1/19/13 09:31 PM, Forte wrote: I've donated twice in the last 4 months and I'm a broke, non-Jewish college student. Surely $25 isn't too much to ask after the many years you have used Newgrounds for free.

It is when you've got no handouts or income and saving up for a decent audio setup.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:36:21

At 1/19/13 09:13 PM, 372 wrote: eh I wouldn't do it. I like this site and all but I don't know why I would give a multi-million dollar website 25$ bucks to get a useless "e-badge"

You can't be serious. You do realize that the site only makes money off of advertisements right? Then on top of that it gives it away to the community so artists can make some money on the side. If you think $25 is too much to give this website and also believe that they make shitloads of money then you are a moron and might as well go suck on a horsecock.

Fudge dapping.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:37:57

At 1/19/13 09:31 PM, Forte wrote:

:Surely $25 isn't too much to ask after the many years you have used Newgrounds for free.

I think this is what did it for me. I think I may buy one right now. I've got nothing in particular I'm saving for, afterall.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:37:58

At 1/19/13 09:29 PM, TheColourAwesome wrote:
No, I know. I've had a few long talks to Luis about the sites current financial troubles. I'd be happy to give my cash and I think a lot more would too if the asking price was a little lower. And as depressing and counter productive as this sounds. If the site's failing how much cash will it take to get it as good as it was before? Will it ever be as good as it was before? I say this as an 10' of course.

I'm in no position to comment on that, but I'm guessing newgrounds is being left behind because it's predominantly a flash orientated site, and in this day and age the sector that is making the most progress is apps for the iphone / ipad which aren't compatible with flash. :(

I agree though, there shouldn't be a minimum as high as $25 because it prices out a lot of people. Wikipeda let you donate as little as $5, and I think for the Obama campaign trail he made up most of his funds through lots of people giving little donations.

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:40:50

At 1/19/13 09:36 PM, Forte wrote:
At 1/19/13 09:13 PM, 372 wrote: eh I wouldn't do it. I like this site and all but I don't know why I would give a multi-million dollar website 25$ bucks to get a useless "e-badge"
You can't be serious. You do realize that the site only makes money off of advertisements right?

You realize they have a e-store right?

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:42:34

At 1/19/13 09:40 PM, 372 wrote: You realize they have a e-store right?

Yeah, but when you think about it... That store can't make enough to cover the costs. Even combined with ads, the cost has to be outstanding.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:50:45

At 1/19/13 09:37 PM, 3Flay wrote:
At 1/19/13 09:31 PM, Forte wrote: Surely $25 isn't too much to ask after the many years you have used Newgrounds for free.
I think this is what did it for me. I think I may buy one right now. I've got nothing in particular I'm saving for, afterall.

Good on you 3Flay, good on you.

If you think that the store even comes close to covering the expense of store product manufacturing, office utilities, payroll, upkeep, and various other expenses that none of us no about then you are probably one of the densest people I have ever interacted with. Seriously, next time you try to make a point and sound like a smartass, please don't sound like such a fucking retard.

Fudge dapping.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:51:16

At 1/19/13 09:42 PM, 3Flay wrote:
Yeah, but when you think about it... That store can't make enough to cover the costs. Even combined with ads, the cost has to be outstanding.

Yea you're right, but like
I'm no expert but the portal, it let's people upload spam. Huge amounts of spam. Honestly the rating systems passing rating needs to be raised, they're needs to be spam deletion. Surely the cost of maintaining the site would be much lower if the restarted amount of shit spam that no one enjoys is deleted.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:51:56

At 1/19/13 09:37 PM, Fim wrote: I'm in no position to comment on that, but I'm guessing newgrounds is being left behind because it's predominantly a flash orientated site, and in this day and age the sector that is making the most progress is apps for the iphone / ipad which aren't compatible with flash. :(

There's still a huge massive amount of Flash game websites out there also. Crappy little flash sites are still everywhere, bloating the market. I think you're right about mobile products.

I agree though, there shouldn't be a minimum as high as $25 because it prices out a lot of people. Wikipeda let you donate as little as $5, and I think for the Obama campaign trail he made up most of his funds through lots of people giving little donations.

I think the best thing to do is a choose your own amount slider. When given the opportunity to be generous people will take the opportunity. If they choose to only pay a few bucks it's better than nothing. I can't tell you how many times I've spent cash on those no minimum Bandcamp pages or indie game sites like Humble Bundle. It's all about flexibility. If you want to give NG $25 you're going to give NG $25. If not I'm sure you're willing to give something.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:56:29

If you have the money to spare yes. The biggest perk is having the ability to use this website at all because its the best way to keep sites running.

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 21:58:25

I still think it's a brilliant site, and I'd say the standard and variety of movies on here has probably gone up, it's just a shame that the numbers aren't as high as they used to be. I'm guessing newgrounds is being left behind because it's predominantly a flash orientated site, and in this day and age the sector that is making the most progress is apps for the iphone / ipad which aren't compatible with flash. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:02:53

At 1/19/13 09:58 PM, Fim wrote:

Agghhh god dam internet spazzin out

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:03:33

You shouldn't become a supporter just for some sort of reward. It's for people who actually want to help, hence the "supporter" name.

EGB || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:07:56

At 1/19/13 10:03 PM, Spretznaz wrote: You shouldn't become a supporter just for some sort of reward. It's for people who actually want to help, hence the "supporter" name.

See:

At 1/19/13 09:37 PM, 3Flay wrote:
At 1/19/13 09:31 PM, Forte wrote: Surely $25 isn't too much to ask after the many years you have used Newgrounds for free.

I'm in the process of buying it one right now. Just the fact that I've been using NG for years for free is enough for me to pay him back a little bit.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:08:46

I'm considering buying a badge. When I get my job and make some cash, I will definitely do it. Supporting the site, know what I mean?

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:10:34

At 1/19/13 10:08 PM, SmartyPants wrote: I'm considering buying a badge. When I get my job and make some cash, I will definitely do it. Supporting the site, know what I mean?

yee ma niqqa

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:11:57

At 1/19/13 10:00 PM, maddskill wrote: LOL first of all stop defending this website like you fuck it or something. I've been here just as long as you, I've used this site as an artist resource sense I was a little kid, but that doesn't mean I'm so in love with it that I care enough about its financial issues to give it 25$. (which is a lot more then most donations ask) I never said that "OH THAT STORE MUST PAY FOR EVERYTHING" I'm just pointing out that YEA this website is a business and YEA its has advertising and products to make revenue. Most websites who sell products don't ask for donations. I understand why newgrounds needs extra revenue, but surely more effective ways to cut cost can be made.
Also it's pretty funny how mad you just got for no reason.

You insinuated that the store would have been a giant contributor, so don't complain when you don't finish a thought and someone calls you out on it. If you have really used this website the way you are saying you have for the amount of time that you claim and you don't donate...then you're just a fucking leech. Seriously grow a pair, and yes people who make stupid comment piss me off.

This is 372

Oh really? I never would have guessed that based on your same style of writing from your other account that makes my eyes bleed.

Fudge dapping.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:13:20

At 1/19/13 10:12 PM, Elitistinen wrote: What benefit could I gain from it, beside look-good?

Well, you're supporting the site.

Response to Should I buy a Supporter Badge? 2013-01-19 22:15:44

At 1/19/13 10:00 PM, maddskill wrote: LOL first of all stop defending this website like you fuck it or something. I've been here just as long as you, I've used this site as an artist resource sense I was a little kid, but that doesn't mean I'm so in love with it that I care enough about its financial issues to give it 25$. (which is a lot more then most donations ask) I never said that "OH THAT STORE MUST PAY FOR EVERYTHING" I'm just pointing out that YEA this website is a business and YEA its has advertising and products to make revenue. Most websites who sell products don't ask for donations. I understand why newgrounds needs extra revenue, but surely more effective ways to cut cost can be made.
Also it's pretty funny how mad you just got for no reason.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.