00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Medieval Game

2,173 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 14:25:10

As the title suggests, what is your favorite medieval themed game. It could be action, adventure, strategy, RPG, or anything.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 15:15:29

At 1/10/13 02:25 PM, SmartyPants wrote: As the title suggests, what is your favorite medieval themed game. It could be action, adventure, strategy, RPG, or anything.

I thought you were talking about MediEvil for some reason. Hmm, I'd say Final Fantasy VI comes to the top of my head but if I sat down and thought about it I'd be able to come up with a whole list.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 16:21:32

I'll be generic and say Skyrim.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 17:58:19

At 1/10/13 02:25 PM, SmartyPants wrote: As the title suggests, what is your favorite medieval themed game. It could be action, adventure, strategy, RPG, or anything.

Medievil is always a classic game and one of the beloved classics. I would also say some RPGs like FF9 and FF4, also FF6 and quite a few of them actually. Also added to that Morrowind. People could argue FF9 isn't due to the Steampunk themed Lindblum but the majority of it, including Pandemonium is more medivilish brought together than other genres.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 18:11:08

ITT:
people who don't know the difference between medieval and fantasy

mount and blade
medieval 2: total war

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 18:16:20

At 1/10/13 06:11 PM, Back-To-Purgatory wrote: ITT:

if the fantasy is set in a medieval like world it could be included
in that case Dragon age origins

in case not Empire Earth, though technically EE goes from prehistory to the future, but it can be set to only include the medieval ages

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 18:25:25

mount and blade

Could count yourself amongst that by your own logic. Many fantasy games do have heavy medieval themes.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-10 19:40:57

I thought Skyrim was pretty epic. I think Chivalry: Medieval Warfare's pretty cool. (even though I don't have it, I'm thinking of getting it).

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-12 07:21:04

Quite a lot of my favourite games have a medieval setting, now that I think about it.

The Elder Scrolls series
The Zelda series
Final Fantasy 6
The Golden Sun series (to some extend)

At 1/10/13 05:58 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Medievil is always a classic game and one of the beloved classics. I would also say some RPGs like FF9 and FF4, also FF6 and quite a few of them actually. Also added to that Morrowind. People could argue FF9 isn't due to the Steampunk themed Lindblum but the majority of it, including Pandemonium is more medivilish brought together than other genres.

Still, I thought FF9 had more a late 17th century setting actually. Of course there are medieval themed areas, but places like Lindblum, Treno and Alexandria seemed to have developed well past the medieval times. There's also airships and balloons and stuff which is even more late 18th century.

It's just how you want to define it.

If you look at the architecture, culture, clothing of characters and the technology I think it's fair to say some fantasy games have a medieval-like setting.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-12 10:51:34

I'd say the first Assassins Creed and Oblivion.

Oblivion may be more fantasy but it captured that medieval feel than any other ES game.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-12 16:29:05

All games are fantasy.

Anyways, Age of Empires II.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-12 17:20:01

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and count fantasy games with heavy medieval influences and themes.

Oblivion
Skyrim
Dragon's Dogma
Dragon's Lair
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Medievil 2 (I didn't play much of the first one, but I beat the second one)

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-13 00:19:47

Probably Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, or even Dark Souls. All have very heavy medieval elements.

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-13 00:32:12

If we are considering medieval themed fantasy, I'll say of course any Zelda game. However, I'd say Assassin's Creed 2 if Zelda is too fantasy for one's definition.

Although ACII is Renaissance so it's really not medieval either. Hm.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-13 00:46:31

At 1/10/13 06:25 PM, VoidForce wrote:

mount and blade
Could count yourself amongst that by your own logic. Many fantasy games do have heavy medieval themes.

Fantasy =/= Medieval.

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-13 01:17:45

At 1/13/13 12:42 AM, Entice wrote:
At 1/12/13 04:29 PM, malachi117 wrote:
Mount and Blade doesn't have magic and fairies, but the countries are made up in every game except for With Fire and Sword.

Total War isn't terribly historically accurate either.

He said he's after "medieval" games... not "historically accurate medieval" games. It's perfectly reasonable to assume he meant medieval as in medieval ages, of which there existed no magic or fairies. At least not factually, people seeing things they didn't understand doesn't count as magic.

There is quite the difference between fantasy and medieval. Fantasy is product of imagination and fancy. Medieval is based in reality, as it is a time in our own history. Given his request, it sounds like he wants a game based in medieval times, not a game based on spell flinging and pink spikey haired heroines with abilities beyond that of a normal human being.

Also... I'd recommend Chivalry as well... disregarding the fact that I've never played it... it looks like it'd be a great game for someone looking for a medieval fix. As well as War of the Roses, which, to my understanding, is done by the same people who did Mount and Blade.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-13 01:18:48

Medieval: Total War is pretty fun

if we are counting fantasy world/universe games too then I thought that the Witcher had a pretty cool medieval like setting

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-14 20:08:42

At 1/13/13 01:17 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:

I should of clarified that from the start, my bad

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-15 07:45:18

Hexen
Zelda Games
Heretic
Diablo 1
Chivalry
Medievil
Breath of Fire
Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Genesis)

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-15 08:22:38

At 1/15/13 07:45 AM, Familyguy666 wrote: Breath of Fire

Good choice.

Mine would have to be Stronghold Crusader though. I'm not really considering fantasy games for this poll.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-15 23:08:51

At 1/13/13 01:18 AM, Halberd wrote: Medieval: Total War is pretty fun

if we are counting fantasy world/universe games too then I thought that the Witcher had a pretty cool medieval like setting

Would I need to play the first one to understand what's going on in the second one?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-16 12:47:00

Skyrim definatly

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-16 14:11:17

At 1/15/13 11:08 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1/13/13 01:18 AM, Halberd wrote: Medieval: Total War is pretty fun

Would I need to play the first one to understand what's going on in the second one?

Not really, but you will miss out on some references from the previous title and who the characters are. The journal does a fine job on explaining everything if you're ever lost. The first one is really good in terms of story.

There are a couple of downsides to it such as a slow beginning (as in, the story doesn't pick up until Act 2) and awkward combat mechanics. I say awkward because there are a couple of enemies that cannot be hit unless you use the right style (for the prologue anyway; that changes when you level up). If you have the patience, then you'll like the witcher. Thankfully, they ditched the "styles" and went with a more traditional fighting system in the Witcher 2.

If we're talking medieval games with fantasy, I suppose Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls series, Witcher series, and even the Souls series.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-26 10:43:58

skyrim

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-26 10:56:18

I got bored of it in, approximately, a week, but Skyrim was awesome while I enjoyed it.

Response to Favorite Medieval Game 2013-01-26 16:07:46

At 1/26/13 10:56 AM, Geoffthebunchie wrote: I got bored of it in, approximately, a week, but Skyrim was awesome while I enjoyed it.

I played it constantly for like a year straight.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature