00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique wanted

807 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Critique wanted 2013-01-07 18:30:04

Hello! I'm a young artist and I'm really looking to improve so that I can hopefully be scouted, and one day I hope to be good enough to have a career doing artwork and illustration when I'm older.

anyway enough chit chat, here is what I feel is one of my best pieces of work.

Critique wanted

Response to Critique wanted 2013-01-07 18:44:08

At 1/7/13 06:30 PM, Floppsy1 wrote: Hello! I'm a young artist and I'm really looking to improve so that I can hopefully be scouted, and one day I hope to be good enough to have a career doing artwork and illustration when I'm older.

anyway enough chit chat, here is what I feel is one of my best pieces of work.

I am really digging this rad piece, i like the way you colored it the background could use a little more word if you want cirque post your worst work to get better results.

Response to Critique wanted 2013-01-07 19:17:09

Alright.
I'm going to leave proportional/anatomy issues alone cause I'm sure others will want to beat it in to you on there own. So stepping away from that line, I'll start a new line on perspective and composition... and maybe a little color thrown in to spice up my gumbo.

So far you have tossed in a couple different perspectives with out thinking of how you are going to place your character in to them. Focusing on the one that actually has your character, for her to stand on a slant that way she would be leaning way back, were talking to the point she should be falling down... off the roof... to what would presumably to her death...

Solving problems like this really come down to the planning stage, or its at least the easiest way to solve them. When you want to draw your character in a scene, think of the whole scene, not just the background or the character as alone entities. When working on the rough drafts, sketches and then final drafts, work them up together.

When you get to actually drawing. this will help you keep things in both the immediate background and farther out in much of the same perspective. This will help tie the scene together better and have an overall consistency.

Now you might fear that if you don't start working on the composition of the piece from the beginning, that their is no hope for it to have a future. Well, thats not entirely true. If you already have a background or character, you can add the other, but you have to follow the same angles and rules that you set up in what ever part you started with. if you don't then you end up with girls looking they're about to see what a swan dive back first feels like.

SO!
Plan ahead. it helps. you don't have to plan out every little detail for every little doodle, thank Cthulhu, but it helps if you do it for the pieces you want to organize for final pieces.

Color!
yeah to start they are a little over saturated. Especially in the background and the far background.
As things get further away from you they tend to lose their vibrancy, become more dull and less defined. Use this to your advantage to save yourself a little work on the farther backgrounds and to draw better attention to the main subject of your piece.

a couple other things. you need to work on your light sources. you have the sun behind her, she is being light from the left side.
The costume... is more fan service rather than any sort of functionality. Might want to ask yourself what kind of piece and character you are wanting to create in the future.
random tower...
The background in general isn't all that great. you start to have something interesting with the buildings but then the hills just kind of ruin it. makes the landscape feel like a bunch of spheres cut in half and scattered about.

Anyway. Try and plot out your final compositions a little more and I think you'll have much better success in the future. Keep practicing and drawing, and never be afraid to ask for some pointers and help. The art forum is an awesome place to learn if f you are willing to learn and have the stomach to survive.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Critique wanted 2013-01-07 20:05:51

Main issue is that it doesn't look like she's actually standing there, more like you just made two separate pieces and pasted them together.

Response to Critique wanted 2013-01-07 23:34:22

At 1/7/13 08:05 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Main issue is that it doesn't look like she's actually standing there, more like you just made two separate pieces and pasted them together.

some shadow underneath her will help add some dimension. To me it seems like shes floating. Keep up the good work, you're on the right track.

Don't Click

Personal Website

Response to Critique wanted 2013-01-08 07:57:05

The way these perspectives are sorta off reminds me of The Thief and the Cobbler. That's neat. You do need to clean up your lightning tho.

BBS Signature

Response to Critique wanted 2013-01-08 10:36:57

At 1/7/13 07:17 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Alright.
I'm going to leave proportional/anatomy issues alone cause I'm sure others will want to beat it in to you on there own. So stepping away from that line, I'll start a new line on perspective and composition... and maybe a little color thrown in to spice up my gumbo.

So far you have tossed in a couple different perspectives with out thinking of how you are going to place your character in to them. Focusing on the one that actually has your character, for her to stand on a slant that way she would be leaning way back, were talking to the point she should be falling down... off the roof... to what would presumably to her death...

Solving problems like this really come down to the planning stage, or its at least the easiest way to solve them. When you want to draw your character in a scene, think of the whole scene, not just the background or the character as alone entities. When working on the rough drafts, sketches and then final drafts, work them up together.

When you get to actually drawing. this will help you keep things in both the immediate background and farther out in much of the same perspective. This will help tie the scene together better and have an overall consistency.

Now you might fear that if you don't start working on the composition of the piece from the beginning, that their is no hope for it to have a future. Well, thats not entirely true. If you already have a background or character, you can add the other, but you have to follow the same angles and rules that you set up in what ever part you started with. if you don't then you end up with girls looking they're about to see what a swan dive back first feels like.

SO!
Plan ahead. it helps. you don't have to plan out every little detail for every little doodle, thank Cthulhu, but it helps if you do it for the pieces you want to organize for final pieces.

Color!
yeah to start they are a little over saturated. Especially in the background and the far background.
As things get further away from you they tend to lose their vibrancy, become more dull and less defined. Use this to your advantage to save yourself a little work on the farther backgrounds and to draw better attention to the main subject of your piece.

a couple other things. you need to work on your light sources. you have the sun behind her, she is being light from the left side.
The costume... is more fan service rather than any sort of functionality. Might want to ask yourself what kind of piece and character you are wanting to create in the future.
random tower...
The background in general isn't all that great. you start to have something interesting with the buildings but then the hills just kind of ruin it. makes the landscape feel like a bunch of spheres cut in half and scattered about.

Anyway. Try and plot out your final compositions a little more and I think you'll have much better success in the future. Keep practicing and drawing, and never be afraid to ask for some pointers and help. The art forum is an awesome place to learn if f you are willing to learn and have the stomach to survive.

Thanks! I really appreciate your help.
I will certainly plan out final pieces and composition more.

As for colors I personally prefer more vibrant saturated colors, though I can understand that making the background become less and less vibrant helps. So I will certainly do that

oh and as for fan service costumes, the curses of teenage years unfortunately (you should have seen my drawings when I was 13)
Although I personally think that weather a character is in a tight revealing costume or a functional historically accurate costume shouldn't really matter, and its more down to if the character is interesting or not. Though I can see how it can define what kind of character your trying to create.

anyways, thanks very much.