00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to increase "loudness"

1,301 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 09:14:35

I seem to run into this problem often
My tracks come out really soft compared to others, but I am almost hitting 0db. Could someone explain this to me because I don't get it. I need to understand what causes these extra db's.

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 09:17:20

you may want to look into compression

BBS Signature

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 09:23:49

Dynamic range compression - read this, then get those:
http://loudmax.blogspot.no/
http://www.x-buz.com/BuzMaxi3.html
and from here http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/audio_vst_jb.htm get Barricade Pro and Barricade... well, get all of those, those VSTs are awesome.

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 09:24:51

Thanks

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 09:28:56

At 12/30/12 09:14 AM, shieldurhope wrote: I seem to run into this problem often
My tracks come out really soft compared to others, but I am almost hitting 0db. Could someone explain this to me because I don't get it. I need to understand what causes these extra db's.

Making the track louder is something that is done in the mastering stage. The key to getting it "loud" is often getting the volume as high as possible without clipping. Typically you can use exciters, and maximizers to achieve this.

There are also full mastering suites available. OZONE 5 works fairly well right out of the box for this.

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 10:09:15

At 12/30/12 09:14 AM, shieldurhope wrote: I seem to run into this problem often

Maybe it's because of the bass? Try cutting unnecessary low frequencies in your sounds(lead, snare etc..) except for the bass. Use compression to control the peak of your sounds. This is some techniques on how to avoid your track from reaching 0dB.

To increase the loudness, use any brickwall limiter/maximiser plugin, and increase the gain(in other plugins you do this by putting the treshold up/down) until you get the same loudness as the track you use as comparison.

But before that, you need to make sure that your track is mix properly-the bass is controlled, clarity is achieved, drums are punchy enough before you try to increase the loudness. Otherwise you will get a distorted, squashy mix when you try to increase the loudness.

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 17:10:46

@bhl21
Was actually thinking bout this and cleaning up the bass, but I think compression is the main problem.

Also does normalizing to a lower db (ie. normalizing down) compress the track? or do all the peaks stay in proportion and just get smaller?

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 20:57:33

Keep in mind that conflicting frequencies will also cause problems. You want to do EQ to try to avoid instruments tripping over each other.

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2012-12-30 22:29:30

Mastering is where this magic happens brotha. I highly suggest getting someone else to master your track for you, because your ears are so used to the song it can really hinder the mastering stages. A second set of ears usually will seal the deal for your song in terms of quality, but of course you need a good mastering engineer. If you plan on doing it yourself, learn how to actually master. Don't use presets on your master track either UNLESS it sounds absolutely beautiful. And bounce the track to a wav and normalize it before you do said steps.

Trust your ears, not your eyes!!!

Regards,

DJ M4C

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2013-01-01 03:39:11

From personal experience, I always noticed that through out the years. It does have something to do with limiters, but nothing about compression, why would you compress a sound to get it louder. You are suppose to equalize it with a parametric. You can see the spectrum and actually literally paint your dream if you have the talent to do so, but of course this is a thing only a real trained ear can achieve. Your ears need abuse from the music you stick with so that you can actually be one with the sound and vibrations. Its all a state of focus, here try this get some sort of iZo or something that can show you the spectrum and put your favorite artists song in their and try to replicate it on a different layer. And of course your obviously not going to get the same exact sound but you might find a foundation you like and from their on our you can keep branching. Just study up and train hard my boy.

How to increase

Response to How to increase "loudness" 2013-01-01 05:05:51

@ seamenn
Not gonna lie, that picture freaked me out. Will look into the limiter-parametric combo 'cos what you said makes sense. I found compressors are good for increasing the overall/general volume 'cos it brings individual vol's closer (makes the louder closer to softer), you can boost from there.

I suddenly feel like there's a whole lot I still need to learn, but thanks to those who posted.