00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Art (Ozbourne)

1,291 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Art (Ozbourne) 2012-12-29 13:48:45

Hello, Newgrounders!
After lurking this site for years, I've finally decided to submit some stuff. Most of my stuff involves some characters of mine that I'm working on a short animation for. That will probably take a long time because I'm a father of three kids, two of which are special needs and I'll be working on it alone. Either way, here's what I've submitted so far. As with all my works, I'm open to constructive criticism. Thanks in advance to all who look even if you don't like my stuff. Hope your holidays are going well!
JT (Ozbourne)

Ifrit

Tommy Orthographic Study

Tommy and Boy

Tommy in the Dark

Thanks Again!

"I do like taking stuff seriously that a lot of people look at as nonsense. I enjoy the insanity of that. And I like the commitment that is needed for that." Christian Bale

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2012-12-30 08:49:26

post the images directly into the thread if you want responses, people are too lazy/paranoid to click links.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2012-12-30 14:32:42

At 12/30/12 08:49 AM, Template88 wrote: post the images directly into the thread if you want responses, people are too lazy/paranoid to click links.

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. :)

"I do like taking stuff seriously that a lot of people look at as nonsense. I enjoy the insanity of that. And I like the commitment that is needed for that." Christian Bale

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2012-12-30 14:38:50

Here is the first piece I submitted. I actually did this as a Christmas present for my younger brother who is a faithful FF7 nut. I hope you like it.

JT

(Note: This as well as most anything else I post here are smaller versions for the forum. The four links in the first post lead to the full size image.)

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2012-12-30 14:41:58

This is the second Item I've posted here. This is Tommy, a character of mine I created for a short post-apocalyptic 2D animation I'm hopelessly toiling away on. This was actually a bit of reference for a 3D model I'm building in Maya for school.

JT

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2012-12-30 14:57:07

This is one of the two I posted yesterday.
This is an experimental piece i did in Photoshop with my Wacom a few months ago. (I'm still not where I want to be on my learning curve with this thing yet.) (I had to really carve the size down on this one to add it to the forums)

JT

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2012-12-30 15:32:55

This is the second of the two I posted yesterday.
This piece is a bit of art starring Tommy and his cohort, Boy. Boy is of a species I've come up with. Sort of a sentient wool-ociraptor, if you'd pardon the term. I made this as part of a flash game that never came to fruition (at least, not good enough to upload here.)

JT

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-04 23:35:39

Yeah, this is me unabashedly bumping my own thread. I think I got lost in the holiday shuffle. Either way, Feel free to give any critiques on the stuff I already have posted. I will be adding more stuff to this... soonish.

JT

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 01:27:42

At 12/30/12 03:32 PM, Ozbourne wrote: This is the second of the two I posted yesterday.
This piece is a bit of art starring Tommy and his cohort, Boy. Boy is of a species I've come up with. Sort of a sentient wool-ociraptor, if you'd pardon the term. I made this as part of a flash game that never came to fruition (at least, not good enough to upload here.)

JT

I think that you should not use gradial shading over the entire body for the shadows. It would look better if you establish a light source in the room there and work from that. Practice with light sources.

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 02:16:18

Cool design. Will you be posting your 3D works in progress?

At 12/30/12 02:41 PM, Ozbourne wrote: This is the second Item I've posted here. This is Tommy, a character of mine I created for a short post-apocalyptic 2D animation I'm hopelessly toiling away on. This was actually a bit of reference for a 3D model I'm building in Maya for school.

JT

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 02:18:47

Hmm, I never looked at it like that, but you're right. I do a lot more in Photoshop so such things are a bit more... easily spotted for me in bitmap stuff, but I'll have to work harder at staying truer to a light source in my vector images from now on. Thanks for pointing that out!

JT

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 02:20:51

At 1/5/13 02:16 AM, maficmelody wrote: Cool design. Will you be posting your 3D works in progress?:

I will if you'd like.
JT

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 02:37:48

At 1/5/13 02:20 AM, Ozbourne wrote:
At 1/5/13 02:16 AM, maficmelody wrote: Cool design. Will you be posting your 3D works in progress?:

Here's 1 of 2 showing what I have so far for the Tommy model. Please forgive the mop that is his hair. I'm a long way from being even decent with Maya hair.

JT

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 02:40:05

At 1/5/13 02:37 AM, Ozbourne wrote:
At 1/5/13 02:20 AM, Ozbourne wrote:

Here's 2 of 2 showing what I have so far for the Tommy model. I did do some sculpting in Zbrush for wrinkles and seams and painted his face in that as well... Meh... It's still a work in progress, though.

JT

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 03:22:23

I'm currently working on a couple of pics in Photoshop. Here's what I've got so far on the one I'm engrossed in currently.

Mah'alleinir(WIP)

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 08:23:30

AH! Why didin't I scroll before I clicked the links D: wasted some seconds D:
Nice art btw

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 11:49:26

At 1/5/13 03:22 AM, Ozbourne wrote: I'm currently working on a couple of pics in Photoshop. Here's what I've got so far on the one I'm engrossed in currently.

Mah'alleinir(WIP)

I love the background but the perspective on the stump/anvil ruins it

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 12:09:37

At 1/5/13 11:49 AM, Idioteque123 wrote:
At 1/5/13 03:22 AM, Ozbourne wrote: I'm currently working on a couple of pics in Photoshop. Here's what I've got so far on the one I'm engrossed in currently.

Mah'alleinir(WIP)
I love the background but the perspective on the stump/anvil ruins it

Yeah, that is giving me some frustration, too. Thanks, Id.

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 13:17:11

Hey, All,
This is a bit off topic, but I was curious. I have read the FAQ on this, but is there some special way to get scouted so you can post your art or is it really just a waiting to get lucky sort of thing? Either way, Just curious. If you know then drop me a note; if not, then we can be in suspense together.

JT

Afterthought: I guess it'd be better to be in suspense with someone else, than to be the only one who doesn't know. lol.

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 13:35:58

Trying to get that anvil/stump looking better. Grrr

JT

New Art (Ozbourne)

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 14:26:20

It's def. an improvement, I'd try to illustrate some sort of light source from the hot iron onto the stump though.

As for your scouting question: you just gotta wait.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to New Art (Ozbourne) 2013-01-05 14:49:46

At 1/5/13 02:26 PM, Idioteque123 wrote: It's def. an improvement, I'd try to illustrate some sort of light source from the hot iron onto the stump though.

As for your scouting question: you just gotta wait.

Thanks for the advice and the answer to my query. I kinda figured that was the way of it, but I wanted to know I'd done what I could to make it happen.

JT