00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Banner help

2,007 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Banner help 2012-12-27 00:54:09

Hello, mates. I am a web designer/graphic designer, and I was wondering how I could upgrade this banner to a more pofessional/teen look. I have been struggling on this banner for a while, now, and I have come to a conclusion to share the banner for feedback. What are the things that I am doing wrong, as a graphic designer/web designer when it comes to this banner? Yes, by the way; I am a graphic designer/web designer for Dragoart.

You can view the full image, here: Dragoart Logo

Banner help

Here are some useful websites: How to Draw Chibi - How to Draw Pokemon

Response to Banner help 2012-12-27 03:54:38

Bump... anybody?

Response to Banner help 2012-12-27 05:48:25

At 12/27/12 03:54 AM, AnimeTeam wrote: Bump... anybody?

Well I would atleast fix the solar rays. theyre different sizes and, more importantly, arent shining straight from the sun.

You could add some small dragons in the background. maybe a silloutte

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2012-12-27 06:04:31

At 12/27/12 12:54 AM, AnimeTeam wrote: Hello, mates. I am a web designer/graphic designer, and I was wondering how I could upgrade this banner to a more professional/teen look.

That banner's been like that for a while, hasn't it? I wouldn't boher patching it up, but start anew.

You say you're after a look that appeals to teens, but the logo (and the site itself) uses colours that you'd find on a toddler's toy. I'd change the colour scheme so it doesn't give that impression. Maybe some colours that you'd find on a dragon, a reptile or an amphibian.

The same goes for the fat yellow stars and the white fluffy clouds - they make the site design look like it's for kids.

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2012-12-27 06:37:15

At 12/27/12 06:04 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: The same goes for the fat yellow stars and the white fluffy clouds - they make the site design look like it's for kids.

The thick red outline around the rounded off letters isn't helping either. It makes me think of Mother Goose Club.

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2012-12-27 17:26:45

Wasn't DragoArt the site submitting all those poor drawing tutorials to NG for a while?

Response to Banner help 2012-12-27 21:35:48

Thank you for the replies, mates.
Yes, by the way. People have been uploading Dragoart tutorials on this site, and I have nothing to do with their uploads. I uploaded one, a long time ago, and I do not use Newgrounds as such way, for I have grown out of that stuff.
The replies really do help me. I will try to design something more teen friendly. I will be sure to upload some progress.

Response to Banner help 2012-12-28 00:53:02

Okay, so here is the new layout that I have been working on. Has it improved? What are the things that I must fix?

Redesign Benchmark 01

Response to Banner help 2012-12-28 01:28:53

At 12/28/12 12:53 AM, AnimeTeam wrote: What are the things that I must fix?

I'd suggest not making it look so much like deviantART's logo.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2012-12-28 01:37:07

At 12/28/12 01:28 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 12/28/12 12:53 AM, AnimeTeam wrote: What are the things that I must fix?
I'd suggest not making it look so much like deviantART's logo.

I was afraid that someone would say that xD
I am not much of a logo type person. I am more with laying out designs. I can make other graphics, but when it comes to logos, I fail.

Response to Banner help 2012-12-28 09:48:49

At 12/28/12 01:37 AM, AnimeTeam wrote: I was afraid that someone would say that xD
I am not much of a logo type person. I am more with laying out designs. I can make other graphics, but when it comes to logos, I fail.

It seems like it's because what you're working towards is not really a logo design. From what I can tell you reworked the dragon drawing and put it in a box. I'm sure it looks lovely as a user icon, but it doesn't really work as a logo. It looks like the dragon was originally made to be sort of a mascot rather than a logo. Much like the tankmen are for Newgrounds - fairly recognizable and easily associated with the website, but also able to convey a variety of expressions (see this vs this).

You'll want to brainstorm for ideas. Your website is all about drawing and drawing tutorials, so you probably want to have your logo associate drawing. It's also called "Drago"Art, which is probably why you've gone for having a dragon in your logo. I think your best bet is to include both elements in your logo. The dragon on its own doesn't really tell me the site is about drawing, and using only drawing as an element would most likely end up being very generic and not unique to your website. I'd recommend finding some paper and spend some time sketching up a dozen different ideas. If you've got a scanner/camera/phone you can share your sketches as well as what you think of them.

tl;dr brainstorm ideas - sketch some up - show us what you got.

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2012-12-28 10:07:01

At 12/28/12 09:48 AM, Havegum wrote: [...]

Also please please please please choose a proper title for your website. I'm sure there's plenty other ways to add tags and optimize your website for search results.

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2013-01-01 09:14:02

Wow; you are a real help. Thank you, and I will be sure to show some ideas :)
Cheers!

Response to Banner help 2013-01-02 06:44:17

I'm a man with severe OCD when it comes to art and symmetry. I'm also great at helping out with designing things. When you look at the top of the screen shot you posted, you barely see the top banner. My suggestion is using dark colours, with a thicker banner at the top. Make the background a grunged-out pastel grey, with the dragon stretching across the whole of the banner. As for the lettering, use some like what I have posted below. Use a deep purple for the glow around the letters. Around the edges of the banner have a maroon coloured border to throw it all together and catch the viewers attention.

Banner help

Response to Banner help 2013-01-02 07:04:13

At 1/2/13 06:44 AM, VulpesHilarianus wrote: As for the lettering, use some like what I have posted below. Use a deep purple for the glow around the letters. Around the edges of the banner have a maroon coloured border to throw it all together and catch the viewers attention.

I can barely read that, since the emboss is so fine and slim. It doesn't have a "wow" factor either, it's just text.
I love Gumby's suggestions though, that the logo should be more simple and use dragon and artistic imagery.

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2013-01-02 07:05:26

It looks more like it is set to be viewed for children rather than teens. First, you may want to add a bit more shading to give it a more realistic look. To give it a sleek, darker look, you may want to make your lines thinner and adjust the opacity as needed. The color of the dragon can also be changed to a red-brown hybrid to give it a look of superiority.

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2013-01-03 10:54:09

Okay, so how is this one; any better?

Banner help

Response to Banner help 2013-01-03 11:10:58

At 1/3/13 10:57 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 1/3/13 10:54 AM, AnimeTeam wrote: Okay, so how is this one; any better?
I think the lines are still too thick, colors too bright and the font doesn't really look badass.
But then again, I'm no expert.

But the thick lines is part of the Dragoart style? The font does not have to be "Bad ass." The colours are too bright, which is something that I agree with. I will tweak it a lot more.

Response to Banner help 2013-01-03 12:12:44

I like that you simplified the logo a bit, but I'm sure you can do it even simpler while keeping most of its original expression - I would recommend redrawing it all the way from the beginning though.

I went ahead and did a few rough sketches to show what I mean. Notice how the design gets simpler to the right, the idea is that you can keep your logo flexible and recognizable. The stencil-esque ones can easily be adapted to say, user images or stand-alone buttons.

I'd like to see some sketches of the logo rather than presenting what is closer to a finished version of the banner. You can worry about the banner specifically later, it might be best to clear up your logo first.

Note that these are just quick sketches, and in no way intended to be used as reference, I'm much more interested in seeing what you can come up with yourself.

Banner help

BBS Signature

Response to Banner help 2013-01-03 15:29:05

At 1/3/13 12:12 PM, Havegum wrote:
I like that you simplified the logo a bit, but I'm sure you can do it even simpler while keeping most of its original expression - I would recommend redrawing it all the way from the beginning though.

Thank you! I will be working on it right away :)

Response to Banner help 2013-05-11 21:41:11

It has been a while since I have made some changes, but here is what I have been working on. What do you guys think?
DragoArt - Redesign