00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mastering Practice

1,571 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mastering Practice 2012-12-25 10:02:58

I got Ozone 5 for christmas (along with alloy, nectar, and RX) and I'm in need of EDM tracks to test it out on. Basically I'm saying I'll master your tracks for free, so long as they are finished.

Response to Mastering Practice 2012-12-25 10:22:50

At 12/25/12 10:02 AM, WizMystery wrote: I got Ozone 5 for christmas (along with alloy, nectar, and RX) and I'm in need of EDM tracks to test it out on. Basically I'm saying I'll master your tracks for free, so long as they are finished.

I'm a noob but just to understand: for mastering you don't mean EQualizing and all other things, right?
For my track (my first one), I just used Maximus on the .wav file exported.

Do you need the whole project or just the audio?

Yep I'm THAT NOOB lol

SUCK MY KICK

Response to Mastering Practice 2012-12-25 10:28:43

At 12/25/12 10:22 AM, Lachi wrote:
At 12/25/12 10:02 AM, WizMystery wrote: I got Ozone 5 for christmas (along with alloy, nectar, and RX) and I'm in need of EDM tracks to test it out on. Basically I'm saying I'll master your tracks for free, so long as they are finished.
I'm a noob but just to understand: for mastering you don't mean EQualizing and all other things, right?
For my track (my first one), I just used Maximus on the .wav file exported.

Do you need the whole project or just the audio?

Yep I'm THAT NOOB lol

Mixing and Mastering are very similar, the only difference is that in mastering you're applying one effect to everything. So yes, that means EQing and compressing, but there's also stereo image widening, dithering, and all this other stuff that you can't do with Maximus.

What I need is basically an exported wav with no effects on the master. You should leave plenty of headroom so that at no point in the mix does anything reach or pass 0db.

Response to Mastering Practice 2012-12-25 10:33:42

At 12/25/12 10:28 AM, WizMystery wrote: What I need is basically an exported wav with no effects on the master. You should leave plenty of headroom so that at no point in the mix does anything reach or pass 0db.

I'll pass then, the effects are poorly made, EQ is pretty bad too and overall the track should be redone.
Thanks anyway mate ; )

SUCK MY KICK

Response to Mastering Practice 2012-12-25 19:27:18

I'm in need of practice too, and I just got an idea:

What if we turn this into a competition between you and me? The volunteer who give the track to us will judge, or maybe just anyone else can judge the final outcomes.

I see this as a great way to get criticism and as a learning experience for both of us, to better our abilities.

Would you be interested?

Response to Mastering Practice 2012-12-25 20:32:54

At 12/25/12 07:27 PM, DDman465 wrote: Would you be interested?

If anyone shows up, sure.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-05 17:15:11

how do i get my track to either of you?

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-05 18:46:21

At 1/5/13 05:15 PM, asmorbidus wrote: how do i get my track to either of you?

Post it in the dumping grounds and pm me the link.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-06 17:11:20

At 1/5/13 06:46 PM, WizMystery wrote:

cant dump a .wav

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-06 17:43:59

At 1/6/13 05:11 PM, asmorbidus wrote:
At 1/5/13 06:46 PM, WizMystery wrote:
cant dump a .wav

Even though you sent the file to me already, for future reference anyone who wants to post music files in the dumping grounds should put it in a zip.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-06 18:13:01

Would you and/or DDman be willing to take a shot at mastering this?

It isn't really EDM but it's one of my only recent electronic tracks, since all I make most of the time is orchestral. I haven't done any mastering on it at all (as is the case with practically all of my other submissions) and I'd be really interested to hear what it sounds like with good mastering.

If anyone's up for mastering it I'll get that WAV ready with headroom!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-06 18:20:17

At 1/6/13 06:13 PM, Step wrote: Would you and/or DDman be willing to take a shot at mastering this?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515355
It isn't really EDM but it's one of my only recent electronic tracks, since all I make most of the time is orchestral. I haven't done any mastering on it at all (as is the case with practically all of my other submissions) and I'd be really interested to hear what it sounds like with good mastering.

If anyone's up for mastering it I'll get that WAV ready with headroom!

Sure. I put EDM mainly because that seems to be the biggest challenge but I'll do any type of genre.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-06 21:48:11

Woah, nice. Didn't think this thread would make it. I got the PM from asmorbidus, so things are going into full swing, it seems.

At 1/6/13 06:13 PM, Step wrote: Would you and/or DDman be willing to take a shot at mastering this?
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/515355

Yea sure, just PM us a download link for the .WAV

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-07 11:17:26

I recently have a song finished that needs its tracks mastered (I have a terrible microphone). If you want, I could send you the files.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-07 12:33:40

At 1/7/13 11:17 AM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote:
I recently have a song finished that needs its tracks mastered (I have a terrible microphone). If you want, I could send you the files.

Tracks? Mastering is only done on one track, but if you mean mixing I can do that too.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-07 12:54:58

At 1/7/13 12:33 PM, WizMystery wrote:
At 1/7/13 11:17 AM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote: I recently have a song finished that needs its tracks mastered (I have a terrible microphone). If you want, I could send you the files.
Tracks? Mastering is only done on one track, but if you mean mixing I can do that too.

Tracks might be the wrong word. Let me try and explain as basically as I can: The song I have worked on has 14 parts to it. These parts are not mixed together yet because I need an audio master to clean them up as good as possible. All 14 parts are all playing at once (13 of them for the Single version). If you wanna mix the song as well, that'd be good, but I'll just send you the stuff and you can see for yourself.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-07 13:06:09

At 1/7/13 12:54 PM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote:
At 1/7/13 12:33 PM, WizMystery wrote:
At 1/7/13 11:17 AM, DingoWalleyStudio wrote: I recently have a song finished that needs its tracks mastered (I have a terrible microphone). If you want, I could send you the files.
Tracks might be the wrong word. Let me try and explain as basically as I can: The song I have worked on has 14 parts to it. These parts are not mixed together yet because I need an audio master to clean them up as good as possible. All 14 parts are all playing at once (13 of them for the Single version). If you wanna mix the song as well, that'd be good, but I'll just send you the stuff and you can see for yourself.

By "clean up" do you mean audio forensics like denoising, declipping, etc? You don't seem to be describing the mastering process when you say that.

Though luckily enough I also have something for that (iZotope is made up of fricking wizards), and I'd like to give that a try too.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-08 13:37:35

Mixing and Mastering are very similar, the only difference is that in mastering you're applying one effect to everything.

Mixing = Arrangement of the mix, song structure and flow.
Mastering = Adjusting of the mix via EQ/Compression/etc on different sound mediums/devices for optimal delivery.

I'll also note that: While most people do mastering on the 'master' bus, it can also be done (tediously) in prep, with track by track EQing/etc, then post eq'd on the 'master' which can sometimes fully optimize.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-08 14:53:43

At 1/8/13 01:37 PM, Ectohelix wrote:
Mixing and Mastering are very similar, the only difference is that in mastering you're applying one effect to everything.
Mixing = Arrangement of the mix, song structure and flow.
Mastering = Adjusting of the mix via EQ/Compression/etc on different sound mediums/devices for optimal delivery.

I'll also note that: While most people do mastering on the 'master' bus, it can also be done (tediously) in prep, with track by track EQing/etc, then post eq'd on the 'master' which can sometimes fully optimize.

Alloy 2 is considering a mixing software, while Ozone 5 is considered a mastering software. Everything is arranged in a chain for both, EQ also being first in both cases, so I must be getting a different definition according to iZotope.

But still, in the case of my own work, is it bad that I EQ everything as I'm writing it? I spend more time doing that than actual writing (and that usually causes me to stop writing).

Response to Mastering Practice 2013-01-09 10:46:59

At 1/8/13 02:53 PM, WizMystery wrote: But still, in the case of my own work, is it bad that I EQ everything as I'm writing it? I spend more time doing that than actual writing (and that usually causes me to stop writing).

No that's not bad practice at all (depending on your processor load the farther along you get).
If you're EQing by track, that's actually pretty wise.

Don't obsess over it though. I usually EQ my instruments before actually recording, by habit this means that I'll know what they'll sound like added to the mix beforehand each time, rather than after. I've not nailed down a solid methodology though, and I also know folks who mix first, getting all the sounds they want, then going back and EQing (sometimes even compression / side chaining), one track at a time.

If it's blocking your progress in any way though, maybe don't worry about EQing until after you're done? As long as you know the sounds will work well together (no blatantly crashing frequencies), there shouldn't be any harm in it.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.