Be a Supporter!

"Vinyl sounds better"

  • 3,688 Views
  • 91 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-18 18:29:04 Reply

At 12/18/12 06:20 PM, Ryanson wrote: I know what rpm means, but I wouldn't be able to tell you the subtle differences in quality or what records would be made into 78s, or even what other kinds exist. Like, are singles and full-length albums distinguished by their rpm? Is when they were printed a factor?

Well you CAN have a single thats the size of a normal LP. I once saw a single for Rock The Casbah by The Clash that was like that. I also have a vinyl thats the size of a 45 but it plays at the speed for a 33 1/3 because of how it was made. I got an single by Electric Wizard on my desk thats roughly the size of a 45 and it plays at 33 1/3.
I've also even seen ones that go at 66.6 rpm. But I seriously have no idea how those would work....

There we go.

What 78s do you got?

To tell you the truth. I have no fucking idea xD
All I know is I have some religious, big band, I MIGHT have like one or two jazz ones, and stuff like...The Platters.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-18 20:22:57 Reply

I have about 6 vinyl and 1 lp(thank you 10club). I love vinyl. I plan to get New vinyl every other week.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-18 21:14:44 Reply

At 12/18/12 05:09 PM, Provoke wrote:
At 12/18/12 04:58 PM, LemonCrush wrote: And a Dark Side of the Moon surround sound remaster just came out
Do you realize how much this means to me.

Its been out since sometime earlier this year and I have it and wish you were here remastered too and its amazing. Im planning to buy more if there are more.

gracik
gracik
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-18 23:58:51 Reply

I grew up listening to records.(spent what, 20 years of my life(25 is my age) listening to records.) No I'm not a hipster, I'm against that retarded ass concept that kids today came up with. I just know good music when I hear it. Honestly, the whole Vinyl vs CD's/Cassettes/8-track tapes is kinda pointless. Yes, each have there own advantages and such. But to really appreciate what it offers, you had to have grown up with that particular medium.

Like I said, I'll gladly take the crackling of a Vinyl record any day. I'm not a hipster because I prefer that. I just like the old sound of Vinyl and the corresponding artists.


BBS Signature
gracik
gracik
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 00:04:14 Reply

At 12/19/12 12:01 AM, Xenomit wrote: At 12/18/12 11:58 PM, gracik wrote: Honestly, the whole Vinyl vs CD's/Cassettes/8-track tapes is kinda pointless.

I don't like those kinds of digital. I prefer "pure digital".

Hey, I can respect that. We all have our preferences.


BBS Signature
Deadly-Shadow
Deadly-Shadow
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 00:28:44 Reply

And I wish people would stop assuming vinyl is for hipsters. If you actually listen to it, there is a notable difference in the quality. Vinyl brings out the individual sounds better and has an overall warmer sound.


BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 01:03:03 Reply

At 12/19/12 12:28 AM, Deadly-Shadow wrote: And I wish people would stop assuming vinyl is for hipsters. If you actually listen to it, there is a notable difference in the quality. Vinyl brings out the individual sounds better and has an overall warmer sound.

I believe this whole "hipsters like Vinyls" thing started because American Apparel sells vinyls. I think the hipsters buy their clothing there.


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
xxxcreep
xxxcreep
  • Member since: Sep. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 01:10:24 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:06 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 12/19/12 01:04 AM, Xenomit wrote: Hipsters buy stuff from places like hot topic and spencer's
If you go to Hot topic's website, you'll see that they sell memetic MLP stuff, and that really pisses me off

It pisses me off too. I liked it better when all they had were rock shirts and chained pants.
But American Apparel sells stuff like Russian Cameras(Lomo), Vinyls, and "trendy" Hipster Clothing :o


"Man, I nearly snapped my twig. Then again I nearly snapped A few of you"- Alice in Chains

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 01:49:20 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:06 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 12/19/12 01:04 AM, Xenomit wrote: Hipsters buy stuff from places like hot topic and spencer's
If you go to Hot topic's website, you'll see that they sell memetic MLP stuff, and that really pisses me off

This place looks incredibly retarded. Only in America.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 01:52:55 Reply

Huge fucking disk that hold six songs maximum vs tiny smartphone that can hold ten thousand (free) songs. With a competition like that who gives a flying fuck if one is just a TINY bit better in quality?


autistic screeching

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 01:56:11 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:54 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 12/19/12 01:52 AM, Cootie wrote: Huge fucking disk that hold six songs maximum vs tiny smartphone that can hold ten thousand (free) songs. With a competition like that who gives a flying fuck if one is just a TINY bit better in quality?
People who are way into music

You say it like it's a bad thing, and the fluttershy hoodie adorable. WOULD BUY <3

KittenBeat
KittenBeat
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 02:32:31 Reply

I like the sound of vinyl. I don't listen to vinyl records, but I do use a lot of simulated vinyl effects in my music because It can have a really gritty, angry sound. .u.b

GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 02:50:01 Reply

At 12/18/12 12:29 AM, Painbringer wrote: Those who like rock prefer vinyl.

Those who like classical prefer digital.

Also there are other factors, like a good set of speakers and a tube amp, which improve sound quality.

Even the "shittiest" music can be enjoyable on a really good sound system.

Is this satirical? I really hope so. It's been a long time since I have seen such a high concentration of nonsense.

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 04:54:05 Reply

At 12/18/12 01:31 AM, Winrar1337 wrote:
At 12/17/12 11:39 PM, TheColourAwsome wrote: You clearly care more about not looking like a hipster then you do music. What do you listen to, OP? Metal? It's Metal isn't it.
Don't talk shit about metal.

Fuck metal.

Should I get into Vinyl? The only problems I see is the cost of records and the lack of records.

Nah, Metals all right. Metalheads are often very annoying though.
gracik
gracik
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 10:26:37 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:52 AM, Cootie wrote: Huge fucking disk that hold six songs maximum vs tiny smartphone that can hold ten thousand (free) songs. With a competition like that who gives a flying fuck if one is just a TINY bit better in quality?

Exactly what kids would say these days. If you care more about quantity over quality, then you you still haven't figured out why people prefer Vinyl, CD's, Cassettes or 8-tracks.


BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 10:29:15 Reply

At 12/19/12 05:02 AM, Provoke wrote: Although I consider myself a very devout metalhead, I have to agree with you a little bit. Some metalheads are just plain old annoying, especially the metalcore or nu-metal eggheads, and screamo is the bastard son that has a horrible fanbase. Seriously, watching someone explain how awesome screamo is is like a record skipping.

Yeah but nu metal isnt metal and screamo isnt related to metal at all! HA!

metalcore just sucks though

Deadly-Shadow
Deadly-Shadow
  • Member since: Jun. 8, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 11:24:22 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:03 AM, xxxcreep wrote: I believe this whole "hipsters like Vinyls" thing started because American Apparel sells vinyls. I think the hipsters buy their clothing there.

They sell vinyl at Hot Topic too, and a lot of major retailers like Best Buy are starting to pick up on it as well. Most people get it at independent record stores though. The point I'm trying to make though is that it's a very wide range of people that are buying it, and not just hipsters.

At 12/19/12 01:52 AM, Cootie wrote: Huge fucking disk that hold six songs maximum vs tiny smartphone that can hold ten thousand (free) songs. With a competition like that who gives a flying fuck if one is just a TINY bit better in quality?

Nobody is seriously trying to use vinyl as a portable music format, they buy it for when they're at home. Also, it should be noted that pretty much all albums come with a download code for a digital copy, making it a moot point.


BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 13:29:38 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:52 AM, Cootie wrote: Huge fucking disk that hold six songs maximum...

LOL no

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 13:31:44 Reply

At 12/19/12 04:54 AM, TheColourAwsome wrote: Should I get into Vinyl? The only problems I see is the cost of records and the lack of records.

The cost? They're usually cheaper by many magnitudes, or the same price of CDs...and there's plenty of records to be had. Even if there's no stores around you, you can go to Ebay

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 13:36:40 Reply

At 12/19/12 12:31 PM, Provoke wrote: Are you really going to start this again.

Start what? there is no argument about it.

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-19 15:02:56 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:36 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 12/19/12 12:31 PM, Provoke wrote: Are you really going to start this again.
Start what? there is no argument about it.

Because it is metal.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 15:05:54 Reply

At 12/18/12 04:48 PM, Xenomit wrote: I don't like rock

Well, what kind of music do you like, then?

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 15:13:49 Reply

At 12/19/12 01:31 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 12/19/12 04:54 AM, TheColourAwsome wrote: Should I get into Vinyl? The only problems I see is the cost of records and the lack of records.
The cost? They're usually cheaper by many magnitudes, or the same price of CDs...and there's plenty of records to be had. Even if there's no stores around you, you can go to Ebay

Well they seem the same price as CD's but there's even less of them than CD's vs free music whenever I want it. ehhhhhhhhh

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 15:19:25 Reply

At 12/20/12 03:13 PM, TheColourAwsome wrote:
Well they seem the same price as CD's but there's even less of them than CD's vs free music whenever I want it. ehhhhhhhhh

I guess?

Viper
Viper
  • Member since: Jun. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Musician
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 15:21:56 Reply

At 12/20/12 03:13 PM, TheColourAwsome wrote: Well they seem the same price as CD's but there's even less of them than CD's vs free music whenever I want it. ehhhhhhhhh

Dude I have nearly 100 33 1/3s in my room.

Not counting a picture disc of I got in the mail today.

And all together they cost me maybe at the most $80.


Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 15:50:02 Reply

At 12/20/12 03:21 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 12/20/12 03:13 PM, TheColourAwsome wrote: Well they seem the same price as CD's but there's even less of them than CD's vs free music whenever I want it. ehhhhhhhhh
Dude I have nearly 100 33 1/3s in my room.
Not counting a picture disc of I got in the mail today.
And all together they cost me maybe at the most $80.

You should give one to me.


Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
last.fm Never Forget

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 16:05:20 Reply

At 12/19/12 03:02 PM, Slint wrote: Because it is metal.

Im not saying it because I dont like it, metalcore sucks but its still metal, its just that nu metal sounds far more like a sub genre of rap rock than metal and they would fit into it far better too. I still cant get enough of the fact that korn mixed brostep (calling it dubstep) and nu metal and called it metalstep.

Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 16:29:21 Reply

At 12/20/12 04:05 PM, BumFodder wrote: I still cant get enough of the fact that korn mixed brostep (calling it dubstep) and nu metal and called it metalstep.

That's hilarious, I have to hear this.


Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
last.fm Never Forget

BBS Signature
fuzzum111
fuzzum111
  • Member since: Aug. 18, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 17:08:39 Reply

At 12/17/12 11:11 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: I wish hipster fuckheads would stop saying that.

Funny story, you have no fucking idea what your talking about.

I don't know if you are a troll but you are clearly an idiot or trying to rile people up.

My brother had a friend, and that guy had an epic sound system. He listened to some good stuff on vinyl, and there were songs I knew or so I had thought by heart, and when we listened to them on vinyl, it was like a whole different experience, we heard things we never heard before, and it was so much more...real life, like it was really there.

Again, you have no fucking clue what you are praddling on about, so please fuck right off.

Hipsters are assholes I agree and although they may make the statement look bad because, there asshats and think there hip or cool for being different, sadly vinyl is honestly better than any CD, or otherwise recorded musical media.


My Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11
If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to "Vinyl sounds better" 2012-12-20 18:04:13 Reply

At 12/20/12 04:05 PM, BumFodder wrote:

:I still cant get enough of the fact that korn mixed brostep (calling it dubstep) and nu metal and called it metalstep.

No, that was actual dubstep