00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

question 2012-12-04 13:54:43

Do I have to ask permission from the Author to use a song in a youtube video? Is it free etc...

Response to question 2012-12-04 14:20:55

I mean...isn't it common courtesy to at least inform the artist that you're using their song?

BBS Signature

Response to question 2012-12-04 14:35:09

Technically, no... as long as your youtube video is not monetized... if you are planning on monetizing it, you are legally required to work out an arrangement with the artist.

If your video is not being monetized, it's not required, as long as you give proper credit.
However, it is common courtesy to ask first, most artists do prefer people ask before using their music.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to question 2012-12-04 14:48:33

Thanks, and no I earn no money from youtube. Should I just leave a message saying I have used their song? Also just making sure, I dont have to pay for any music...right?

Response to question 2012-12-04 14:52:33

At 12/4/12 02:48 PM, Talbo23 wrote: Thanks, and no I earn no money from youtube. Should I just leave a message saying I have used their song? Also just making sure, I dont have to pay for any music...right?

Yes, at the very least, let them know via PM here on NG that you are using their song, and preferably give them a link to where their song is being used (Again, don't forget you have to credit them on the video).

And no, you don't have to pay anything for the use as long as it is being used non-commercially, as everything uploaded here is under the Creative Commons license.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to question 2012-12-04 14:57:50

Thank you very much :) So there is nothing I really need to do about having a license or paying someone etc?

Response to question 2012-12-04 15:04:46

At 12/4/12 02:57 PM, Talbo23 wrote: Thank you very much :) So there is nothing I really need to do about having a license or paying someone etc?

As long as it's being used non-commercially, no. It's just common courtesy to let them know you're using it.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to question 2012-12-04 15:12:43

Thanks for everything :) I just heard Of epic proportions! Its sooo good...I might use it in one of my videos if you let me

Response to question 2012-12-04 15:16:15

At 12/4/12 03:12 PM, Talbo23 wrote: Thanks for everything :) I just heard Of epic proportions! Its sooo good...I might use it in one of my videos if you let me

Ha! Glad you like it... but I wasn't the one that got everyone together for that, that was RobSoundtrack, if you're going to ask anyone, it should probably be him, as he did most of the work. I just contributed a solo.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to question 2012-12-07 06:46:57

Dont forget to link the artist's various music pages and social networks in the video description. Every bit of exposure helps!