00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Neptuno84 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Rich are Rich for a reason

2,313 Views | 28 Replies

The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 14:45:37

I honestly think this is very true; it really explains why few in society make it to the top, and why those at the top tend to stay there as well.

But that makes me wonder; can you be born "rich"? After all, according to this article, what determines a person being rich is their thinking, and that is largely affected by personality, which in turn is heavily affected by genetics. I'm not saying that genetics purely determines the personality, but it does indeed play a huge role.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-rich-people-think-differe ntly-from-the-poor-2012-8?op=1

(I originally put this in the politics section but the realized this doesn't really have much to do with Politics)

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 14:48:05

I was born dirt poor. Hooray!

The Human Nugget- Ruining the internet, one post at a time.

Become my fan, because then you'll be cool.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 14:52:40

So basically they're not only cunts, but actively practicing cunts.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:04:13

Which orifice did you pull the genetics talk out of? Pretty sure your genes don't fucking determine whether or not you think rich people are snobs.

Anyway this article is awful. It expresses that you ought not to think of wealthy people as lucky and greedy, just hard-working and educated, then goes on to say that rich people get rich by taking risks and using other peoples money.

I've seen shittier apologists, but this one certainly up in the top ten.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:05:25

I think you can be born rich; if your parents are of course.

You're technically born into fortune, but it's not exactly your money.

Yay, more jokes!

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:06:27

At 12/2/12 02:47 PM, Sekhem wrote: getting rich cannot be reduced to platitudes like 'take action' lol

I think anything can be reduced to a more simplistic point eventually.

Also, doesn't anything, not merely getting rich, require the "platitudes like 'take action'"?

For example, an attempt to mock someone would require you to type a response on a keyboard and then post said response rather than blankly see what you want to mock, therefore taking action.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:07:28

21 ways rich people are just plain better than everyone else.

That's the basic gist of it.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:11:56

At 12/2/12 03:04 PM, Lintire wrote:
Anyway this article is awful. It expresses that you ought not to think of wealthy people as lucky and greedy, just hard-working and educated, then goes on to say that rich people get rich by taking risks and using other peoples money.

Actually, when I read the article, I thought it was calling people greedy, "hard-working", and not as educated as others, especially since it says that they don't view college as a necessity.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:13:00

It seems like some rich people just have to convince themselves that they are superior and more hardworking that other people, or else they go nuts from guilt.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:14:00

Getting rich has many factors, a large part of which is chance. Be you smart, stupid, or average.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:19:26

12. Average people live beyond their means, Rich people live below theirs.

That's easy to do when you have unlimited means.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 15:20:43

At 12/2/12 03:16 PM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote:
At 12/2/12 03:14 PM, jjjkuk wrote: Getting rich has many factors, a large part of which is chance. Be you smart, stupid, or average.
or mitt romney

a.k.a. male wonderbread

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 17:20:07

OP, you forgot that NG is "politically neutral," meaning virtually everyone will chew the shit out of your point. Go read Atlas Shrugged if you want to have your rich heir question addressed honestly.

The simple fact is that some people will never be happy, no matter how good their lives are.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 17:31:23

I've always thought of most rich people as fairly intelligent, and mostly lucky gamblers--many of whom also have insatiable egos. All risky investments and bold ideas are major gambles and they will often either work out very well, or not. What I read in this article more or less confirms that belief...and I still hate the mentality a lot of rich people have. I tend to identify a lot more with people who know what it's like to struggle economically.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 17:52:24

What a pile of generalizing bs, although cleverly worded.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 18:46:38

At 12/2/12 05:20 PM, ohbombuh wrote: OP, you forgot that NG is "politically neutral," meaning virtually everyone will chew the shit out of your point. Go read Atlas Shrugged if you want to have your rich heir question addressed honestly.

No no, I complitly remembered that, and its what I want. It lets me see the perspective of the opposing side even better, which is what I want to know. Also, I already have read Atlas Shrugged, as well as The Fountainhead, but also Walden Two, The Comunist Manifesto, and The Ragged, Trousered, Philanthropist.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 18:50:28

Did you really have to post this twice?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 18:55:33

At 12/2/12 02:45 PM, Revo357912 wrote:

:After all, according to this article, what determines a person being rich is their thinking, and that is largely affected by personality, which in turn is heavily affected by genetics. I'm not saying that genetics purely determines the personality.

Yes it does play a role, but not as big as you would think. A person's personality is made up also of experiences they had when they were little, and when they were growing up, all the time actually their personality can be changing (Even if it's a little bit) Anyways personality is really hard to define, but I don't think people can be born with a personalty that is going to make them rich. I think it is molded throughout their thoughts and experiences in life.
Someone can be born rich in a literal sense. Like the son or daughter of a famous actor.

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 18:56:31

Some people are just born into money, but most have to take advantage of others to get to the top.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 19:00:53

If I have money in my family, I can go to a private school, then an elite university, pay for additional vocational training, then take an unpaid internship - possibly at a business owned by my family - while living with my parents. I can then land a cushy job and become rich.

If I'm poor, I can't go to university or end up in loads of debt if I want to, then I can't afford additional training and have to start earning a basic wage straight away. I will have no familial connections and very limited opportunities for bettering myself or earning significantly more money.

I could be rich and stupid and lazy and still end up earning a vast amount of money, and I could be poor and smart and hard-working and never be able to earn enough money to get by. If I'm born rich, the chances are I will continue to be rich and may one day be paying poor people who are smarter than me.

If you work really hard and look for opportunities, you might be lucky, but even if you're just as motivated as a rich person, you'll be very unlikely to earn as much as you would if you were born in wealth.

Without writing a tonne, if you're born in poverty, you could be smart and gifted, but your cultural circumstances will very likely prevent you from ever attaining your potential. What are the chances that someone who could be as great an astrophysicist as Stephen Hawking was born in a poverty-stricken country and never had the opportunity to achieve his potential? Well, almost certain.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 20:01:49

At 12/2/12 07:00 PM, Earfetish wrote: If I have money in my family, I can go to a private school, then an elite university, pay for additional vocational training, then take an unpaid internship - possibly at a business owned by my family - while living with my parents. I can then land a cushy job and become rich.

If I'm poor, I can't go to university or end up in loads of debt if I want to, then I can't afford additional training and have to start earning a basic wage straight away. I will have no familial connections and very limited opportunities for bettering myself or earning significantly more money.

I could be rich and stupid and lazy and still end up earning a vast amount of money, and I could be poor and smart and hard-working and never be able to earn enough money to get by. If I'm born rich, the chances are I will continue to be rich and may one day be paying poor people who are smarter than me.

If you work really hard and look for opportunities, you might be lucky, but even if you're just as motivated as a rich person, you'll be very unlikely to earn as much as you would if you were born in wealth.

Without writing a tonne, if you're born in poverty, you could be smart and gifted, but your cultural circumstances will very likely prevent you from ever attaining your potential. What are the chances that someone who could be as great an astrophysicist as Stephen Hawking was born in a poverty-stricken country and never had the opportunity to achieve his potential? Well, almost certain.

What of people who wanted to create something new and/or cool and looked for someone to invest in it, like Mark Zuckerburg? What about someone who saw an opportunity and not only took advantage of it, but figured a way to improve it to his advantage, like Rockefeller?

What about families who came as immigrants, saved every penny they could to buy a small restaurant, then saved that money to create more businesses such as honey sales and seafood processing like my friend Cindy Ngo's family?

Or the lottery winners who blow all their money or the ones who re-invested it in real estate and taught their sons to re-invest said money?

Or the man who was exiled by his grandparents wealth, started with a minimum wage job, saved over the years as much money as he could and is now owner of the biggest biodiesal company in Texas and the nation?

People seem to confuse "hard-work" with "hard-work and sacrifice". Three of those examples I listed are people I personally knew.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 20:07:35

At 12/2/12 08:01 PM, Revo357912 wrote:

Other than Zucherberg., the rest are inherited wealth. Random Rockerfeller doesn't necessarily deserve to be rich.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 20:39:12

I'm not against rich people or anything. but I am tired of them always wanting us to stroke their egos, and recognize them as supermen.

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 20:40:44

At 12/2/12 08:07 PM, Earfetish wrote:
At 12/2/12 08:01 PM, Revo357912 wrote:
Other than Zucherberg., the rest are inherited wealth. Random Rockerfeller doesn't necessarily deserve to be rich.

The rest? Really?

My friends family had no wealth when they came from China. They lived in an apartment the size of a small bedroom. The man who was exiled from his family, he was left with nothing but 100$ given to him by his parents.

The lottery winners, well, they won their wealth with luck.

And why not Rockefeller?

None of the people I listed had inherited wealth.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 20:45:49

At 12/2/12 02:45 PM, Revo357912 wrote: After all, according to this article, what determines a person being rich is their thinking, and that is largely affected by personality, which in turn is heavily affected by genetics. I'm not saying that genetics purely determines the personality, but it does indeed play a huge role.

How do I nature-nurture debate?

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 22:06:54

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-02 22:45:24

A lot of people become rich for a whole bunch of reasons, mostly through hard work, effort and/or a lot of luck. While I understand why people would be upset with children being super-spoiled by rich parents and get an inheritance after their parents die, the reality is that is how they have done business for so long, that it was simply to be expected thing to happen, whether the kids learned about the ins and outs of being rich and powerful or not.

If they do know the responsibilities of being rich and influential, then it really isn't that bad, but the problem is when they don't. There is no way that getting rich can be considered a bad thing, it's what you do with that money and influence that affect other people's perspective and overall mindset towards you.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-03 09:00:02

At 12/2/12 02:45 PM, Revo357912 wrote: (I originally put this in the politics section but the realized this doesn't really have much to do with Politics)

Unfortunately, to democrats wealth has everything to do with politics. Point out that Mitt Romney was wealthy was half their campaign against him. Sad thing is it worked lol.

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to The Rich are Rich for a reason 2012-12-03 11:09:08

A lot of people can get rich because of inheritance of relatives and being born with greater opportunities, whether than be in higher education or jobs (also by relatives). In other words, yes, you can be born rich. Fuck off Republicans