00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam

26,829 Views | 44 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:13:07

We used to organize a big Winter Flash-Off each year but more recently I decided I don't like encouraging people to spend their time making MORE movies about winter and the holidays. However, a few great animators have asked about it and Adam Phillips just released a fun movie so I thought we could still provide some reward for people who want to get in the spirit!

This contest is just for movies and the deadline is December 25th. The best Christmas / Holiday / Winter Season movie will receive $150, the second best $100 and third best $50. You're welcome to use our API for ads or include the NG Winter Preloader but neither is required. You could also promote the Christmas 2012 collection! If your movie is in MP4 format, let me know in advance and I can give your account access to upload.

The other thing I was thinking would be fun this year is to give everyone some GIFTS on Christmas Day, in the form of new games! Who doesn't like getting new games for Christmas?

JohnnyUtah and I are trying to wrap up a game that I really hope to release on Christmas Day. If you're a game developer you could do the same! Don't make your game about Christmas or Winter unless you got a really great idea for those. Your game doesn't have to be HUGE either, it should just try to be something COOL, something MAGICAL. Try experimenting with some new ideas, make something that will tickle the eyes, ears or brain. Publish it on Christmas Day (or late on Christmas Eve) and everyone can wake up and open their presents!

Tag your game with "giftjam2012" and we'll use that to see what games participated on Christmas Day. The best game will receive $150, second $100 and third $50.

Never made a game before? This could be a good time to experiment with Stencyl or Construct 2! If you're making a game in HTML5, notify me in advance so I can give your account access to upload HTML5 games.

Also consider sharing some of your ad revenue with the Child's Play Charity account!

Voting for the Best of November begins this Saturday!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:15:34

If only I can make movies...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:23:15

Can't wait to see them.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:28:46

Let's go!
How do I send the game (HTML5) finalized?

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:29:43

At 11/27/12 11:28 AM, Tuxu wrote: Let's go!

HTML5 games are submitted as a ZIP, our system expects to find an index.html file in the root of the zip.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:39:57

Just download Stencyl, I got some pretty cool ideas. If anyone is willing to teach me how to code, please PM me. I got a month off for break in two weeks and I will have nothing to do.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:46:44

At 11/27/12 11:29 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/27/12 11:28 AM, Tuxu wrote: Let's go!
HTML5 games are submitted as a ZIP, our system expects to find an index.html file in the root of the zip.

Ok, thanks!

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 11:59:49

A giftjam? That sounds awesome. I really love the jams because it brings the community together.

I know most people don't care for them in games, but if anyone wants a VA, hit me up.

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:14:18

In order to submit my Construct 2 game to Newgrounds, do I first need to buy the "personal edition" for $120? Or can I submit them to Newgrounds with the free edition?

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:25:49

At 11/27/12 11:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: We used to organize a big Winter Flash-Off each year but more recently I decided I don't like encouraging people to spend their time making MORE movies about winter and the holidays. However, a few great animators have asked about it and Adam Phillips just released a fun movie so I thought we could still provide some reward for people who want to get in the spirit!

This contest is just for movies and the deadline is December 25th. The best Christmas / Holiday / Winter Season movie will receive $150, the second best $100 and third best $50. You're welcome to use our API for ads or include the NG Winter Preloader but neither is required. You could also promote the Christmas 2012 collection! If your movie is in MP4 format, let me know in advance and I can give your account access to upload.

I have something winter related I was planning on releasing next year, but hrmmm I'm sure I could get the first part out for this contest.

On the other hand it would hurt the integrity of the submission if I did that, and probably hinder my chances of getting a triple crown in the future.

It's tempting though cause I could use the extra money, plus it would be nice to release something new so I don't fade away into obscurity!

Choices, choices, choices... Any chance you'll hold another contest next winter Tom?

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:30:23

At 11/27/12 11:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: Winter

The background by FarturAst is lovely!!
Is there a place where all the past site skins are 'archived'? If not, maybe we should make a thread or something!

Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:30:47

At 11/27/12 12:14 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: In order to submit my Construct 2 game to Newgrounds, do I first need to buy the "personal edition" for $120? Or can I submit them to Newgrounds with the free edition?

To my knowledge you can publish games made with the free version to the web:

http://www.scirra.com/store/construct-2

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:31:33

At 11/27/12 12:30 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 11/27/12 11:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: Winter
The background by FarturAst is lovely!!
Is there a place where all the past site skins are 'archived'? If not, maybe we should make a thread or something!

Right now they are just on my HD. I really want to be able to apply custom skins to collection pages, though, so the Robot Day 2012 collection can have the skin from that day, same with Pico Day, Madness Day, Halloween, Winter, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:32:31

At 11/27/12 12:25 PM, Celx-Requin wrote: Choices, choices, choices... Any chance you'll hold another contest next winter Tom?

We'll probably do something small again like this.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:39:47

I started my Christmas gift game days ago! Although I wasn't planning on releasing it on Christmas, I guess I could push back the release date a little :)

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 12:58:12

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to submit.
Also Liking the background! :3

Oh and thanks for the heads up about voting. Don't wanna risk missing out on doing that.....

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 13:47:18

God, I love FarturAst's new background.

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 14:07:05

While I love all of this, I'm still anxiously waiting for you to announce the 2013 Calendar contest winners, Tom!!!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 14:13:06

At 11/27/12 02:07 PM, ZJ wrote: While I love all of this, I'm still anxiously waiting for you to announce the 2013 Calendar contest winners, Tom!!!

While I am totally with you, Luis explained it in the contest thread:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1318786/8#bbspost2434717 5_post_text

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 16:29:12

At 11/27/12 11:15 AM, Sequenced wrote: If only I can make movies...

why can't you? You have a computer and internet, right? well, with the vast amounts of free software online, you should be able to find what works right for you.

All it takes is an imagination and the commitment to finish your project. It doesn't even have to look good as long as the jokes/story is good enough (just look at squidbilliesand southpark).

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 17:49:28

Gotta a pretty good idea for a spoof of the Coca Cola Christmas ads. I'm down.

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 18:01:36

Damn it Fulp! My christmas game might just be able to make your titties tickle.

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 18:41:52

Wow nice to see you guys always promoting some new contests, just another reason why i enjoy this site as much as i do.

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 19:32:15

Can we expect to seen anything else concerning a Winter based theme?
I do love the art.

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 20:26:44

At 11/27/12 11:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: The other thing I was thinking would be fun this year is to give everyone some GIFTS on Christmas Day, in the form of new games! Who doesn't like getting new games for Christmas?

Oh boy, PRESENTS!

~ A Random Wombat ~

Stupidity killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

Click Me!

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-27 23:11:41

At 11/27/12 11:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: stuff

D'awwww, I thought this was going to be an official game jam, like the others...

...the four right chords can make me cry

Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-28 00:31:14

Oh, boy! I love Christmas, and really want to make a winter-themed cartoon, so i will! Oh man, it's going to be fun.

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-28 02:51:33

The fact that my word is still being used, and I was able to make even such a small mark on Newgrounds, makes me happier than you can even realize. <3

At 7/17/07 10:31 PM, EggfordTheEgg wrote:

: Wait, when did the BBS become Gaia Online?

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-28 08:43:27

It really makes me curious.

Response to Winter Flash-Off and Game Jam 2012-11-28 10:15:00

At 11/28/12 02:51 AM, EggfordTheEgg wrote: The fact that my word is still being used, and I was able to make even such a small mark on Newgrounds, makes me happier than you can even realize. <3

We just need an ashkinscript 3.0 contest too!

BBS Signature