00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Specific Color Tut.?

874 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-13 23:38:04

I've been studying color, light, and realism. I was wondering if anyone could link me or suggest some books that help a bit more with things of, specular reflections. Mainly leather, and metal.

Know anything that can help me understand and get a better grasp?

"Help those in need, or no one else will..."

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 00:50:17

honestly? thats the last thing you need to worry about right now. Get your forms correct first, they are atrociously inaccurate/poorly drawn.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 01:26:30

At 11/14/12 12:50 AM, Template88 wrote: honestly? thats the last thing you need to worry about right now. Get your forms correct first, they are atrociously inaccurate/poorly drawn.

Oh no, NG doesn't have my good work posted up here yet. My deviantart has all those. But seeing as how you didn't know that, if you can't give me any resource links, I'll look on my own.

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 01:57:13

At 11/14/12 12:50 AM, Template88 wrote: honestly? thats the last thing you need to worry about right now. Get your forms correct first, they are atrociously inaccurate/poorly drawn.

Here's some examples of projects I'm working on:

http://shadefalcon.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d 59bupj

Anyone else out there who can offer some help with leather and metal, now that I've provided the fact I'm not inept do to my NG art submissions?

Specific Color Tut.?

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 02:14:58

At 11/13/12 11:38 PM, shadefalcon wrote: I've been studying color, light, and realism. I was wondering if anyone could link me or suggest some books that help a bit more with things of, specular reflections. Mainly leather, and metal.

I've taken color theory and can probably answer specific questions if you have them. The key thing to remember are the color harmonies or relationships on the color wheel- analagous, complementary diad, split complementary triad, double split complementary tetrad, tertiary triad, a hexad, warm/cool, neutral, monochromatic. (last two only sort of count.) There's a bunch of other things but it'll help if you can be more specific with questions.

As far as books go, I believe Johannes Itten wrote the most iconic text on the subject, but I've never read it.

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 02:53:31

Art isn't, like, a flowchart where you have to finish each step before you move onto the next one. You can work on more than one thing at a time.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 03:15:56

At 11/14/12 02:53 AM, Aigis wrote:
Art isn't, like, a flowchart where you have to finish each step before you move onto the next one. You can work on more than one thing at a time.

In some instances one could argue it's better to establish a strong foundation before moving onto the fancy stuff. We all know a user here that's like that. Now don't we?

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 03:55:36

At 11/14/12 03:15 AM, Absinthe wrote: We all know a user here that's like that. Now don't we?

Why.
Why bring it up.
I can live without stuff contaminating other threads, thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 04:06:38

At 11/14/12 03:15 AM, Absinthe wrote:
At 11/14/12 02:53 AM, Aigis wrote:
In some instances one could argue it's better to establish a strong foundation before moving onto the fancy stuff. We all know a user here that's like that. Now don't we?

Gotta agree here, a good foundation is key, because in the end without the good foundation your art will look like shit. Not to discourage practicing color but at least take some time and get the fundamentals down.

As for resources here you go.

https://sites.google.com/site/4chanic/training-tutorials

I think NG art forum really needs a sticky with a lot of resources like this page

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 10:43:24

At 11/13/12 11:38 PM, shadefalcon wrote: I've been studying color, light, and realism. I was wondering if anyone could link me or suggest some books that help a bit more with things of, specular reflections. Mainly leather, and metal.

I don't know any books on tuts on those but I do know the next cheap thing.

tut on specular

tut on different properties

something to observe

A quick small color theory tut that lovingthedark said earlier ago

A color seeing tut

Don't worry too much on leather though, leather don't generate any high reflective properties, just get a leather texture and discreetly place over what ever clothing or item that contain leather.

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 12:47:34

Guys, it's not gonna hurt for him to understand some colour theory.

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-the ory

Obviously learn your foundations, but in a way, this is a foundational thing in itself.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 14:12:42

I've taken color theory and can probably answer specific questions if you have them. The key thing to remember are the color harmonies or relationships on the color wheel- analagous, complementary diad, split complementary triad, double split complementary tetrad, tertiary triad, a hexad, warm/cool, neutral, monochromatic. (last two only sort of count.) There's a bunch of other things but it'll help if you can be more specific with questions.

As far as books go, I believe Johannes Itten wrote the most iconic text on the subject, but I've never read it.

I've read Color and Light, for the Realist Painter by James Gurney, so I do understand everything you just said. My main conflict about metal and leather, is understanding the shine factor based on the shapes of the surfaces. Mostly do to the fact a lot of my character designs will have metal body parts. And since it's a comic, the girls will have something leather on no doubt, lol. But Yeah, it's mostly understanding the shine, and also the added shadowI've observed on the way metal reflects. I understand other surfaces much easier.

BBS Signature

Response to Specific Color Tut.? 2012-11-14 15:13:13

Just find some metal and leather or pictures of it and practice drawing it. It's the best way to learn.