00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii?

3,410 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I want to buy an audio interface with Z.E.R.O Latency... thats it...
Which one is better? The Line 6 Studio GX or the M-Audio Fast Track MKII?
I don't have any issues if I don't get POD Farm cuz I will be using AmpliTube 3 :)
All I need is-
1) Good recording Quality
2) ABSOLUTELY NO latency.
Guys please reply/comment ASAP I have to place an order before 16th Nov. Thanks :)
Not to mentio again... Absolutely zero latency... And I have a slight liking towards the M_ Audio because it offers an extra XLR Mic input which the Line 6 GX does not offer, and I will definitely do some vocals stuff

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 07:39:26

At 11/13/12 07:29 AM, adilovemetal wrote: I want to buy an audio interface with Z.E.R.O Latency... thats it...
I don't have any issues if I don't get POD Farm cuz I will be using AmpliTube 3 :)
All I need is-
Guys please reply/comment ASAP I have to place an order before 16th Nov. Thanks :)
Not to mentio again... Absolutely zero latency... And I have a slight liking towards the M_ Audio because it offers an extra XLR Mic input which the Line 6 GX does not offer, and I will definitely do some vocals stuff

Nothing has 0 latency. It's impossible.

Even PCI / PCIe interfaces can have 2ms latency, depending on buffer size.

If you want LESS latency, then definately DON'T get either of those products, as they both use the antiquated USB2 interface.

You should either wait for thunderbolt based devices, or buy a PCI / PCIe based interface. And yes, most motherboards will still have at least 1 PCI slot

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 09:15:24

At 11/13/12 07:29 AM, adilovemetal wrote:

I have an M-Audio Fast Track C400 and it's perfect. The recording quality is amazing, the latency is extremely low. And the best part? Its only 149USD

BBS Signature

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 09:38:51

At 11/13/12 07:39 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 11/13/12 07:29 AM, adilovemetal wrote: I want to buy an audio interface with Z.E.R.O Latency... thats it...
All I need is-
Nothing has 0 latency. It's impossible.

Even PCI / PCIe interfaces can have 2ms latency, depending on buffer size.

If you want LESS latency, then definately DON'T get either of those products, as they both use the antiquated USB2 interface.

You should either wait for thunderbolt based devices, or buy a PCI / PCIe based interface. And yes, most motherboards will still have at least 1 PCI slot

aww that's just too bad :(
anyways... out of them both, which is better? I have seen Line 6 UX2 in action, and they say GX, UX1 and UX2 all three have the same latency killing mode, that means thye give the same amount of latency... even 20 ms won't hurt ;) All i need is to monitor my guitar tone directly

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 09:40:35

At 11/13/12 09:15 AM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 11/13/12 07:29 AM, adilovemetal wrote:
I have an M-Audio Fast Track C400 and it's perfect. The recording quality is amazing, the latency is extremely low. And the best part? Its only 149USD

That's the catch... I cannot, CANNOT spend more that a 100 bucks, I am still not earning...
out of Line 6 Studio GX and M-Audio Fast Track MKII, which is better? cuz these are my only options..
For live stuff, I use my Zoom G3, and I love it.. it gives me Every tone, from British Rock to Modern Djent tone, but its not good as an interface

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 09:42:27

Well any audio interface should have proprietary asio drivers or dsp clocking to lower latency. I can't imagine that being too much of a problem unless youre trying to use a good little chunk of effects in a live scenario.

That said....dont get a fast track. Yes....it works, but there are at least 2 better interfaces at the exact same price: Presonus Audiobox & Focusrite Scarlett. Both have better preamps and a/d convertors then the fast track, as well as just better overall construction (not made of plastic). The scarlett would be my choice of the 3 because it has the most natural, warm, and clean sounding preamps of the bunch.

Noteably though the scarlett doesnt have midi in/out, So if you need to hook up a midi only device like an old keyboard or something then go for the audiobox.

Believe me, I test and sell this shit for a living.

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 09:47:19

Sorry actually I was thinking of the mobile pre. The fast track is even worse....and yeah scarlett & audiobox are usually around 150.

Save your pennies, cuz the fast track is a wasted hundred bucks.

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 13:30:55

Try Guitarcenter.com used section. Its a sort of a hard to find part of the site but they offer up some sweet deals.

Guitar Center's Used section(audio interfaces)

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 15:49:00

As much as you say right now that you don't necessarily need Pod Farm, if you had it, you wouldn't be saying that. It's really awesome.
I use a UX2 and the latency is completely unnoticeable when using Pod Farm. I think that is your best bet since using amplitude would mean using ASIO which is a bit slower.

Best response time would be Line 6 device with Line 6 software. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 16:26:12

At 11/13/12 03:49 PM, MetalRenard wrote: . I think that is your best bet since using amplitude would mean using ASIO which is a bit slower.

I use my aforementioned Fast Track C400 with both Amplitube and Guitar Rig 5 with no perceived latency unless I use something like iZotope Ozone on a channel.

BBS Signature

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-13 17:59:27

At 11/13/12 04:26 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: I use my aforementioned Fast Track C400 with both Amplitube and Guitar Rig 5 with no perceived latency unless I use something like iZotope Ozone on a channel.

Cool. :)
In my experience though, Line 6 Pod Farm uses the sound card's separate system which means you can keep a high buffer size for your DAW and still have near-zero latency for recording purposes. I can load a maximiser (which usually has about a 100-200ms buffer - Ozone included) and not have to worry about latency. If I use ASIO then I can't load a lot onto my system since I have to decrease buffer size to keep latency low enough to play along.

I don't have a very powerful system though, maybe your computer is much more powerful.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-15 02:58:37

At 11/13/12 09:42 AM, Breed wrote:

Believe me, I test and sell this shit for a living.

thanks a lot bro ;) I will keep the scarlett in my mind.. though i dnt need any MIDI stuff.. only guitars and vocals.. hope it suits my needs. thanks again :D

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-15 03:00:57

At 11/13/12 03:49 PM, MetalRenard wrote: As much as you say right now that you don't necessarily need Pod Farm, if you had it, you wouldn't be saying that. It's really awesome.
I use a UX2 and the latency is completely unnoticeable when using Pod Farm. I think that is your best bet since using amplitude would mean using ASIO which is a bit slower.

Best response time would be Line 6 device with Line 6 software. :)

am thinking the same thing ;)
is Pod Farm better than AmpliTube?
i think its an irrational query because you cannot really compare the 2 softwares...?
but my main focus has to be on guitars.. especially a killer metal tone, for which the Line 6 people are famous.. well lets see ;)
another thing.. I just found out that Presonus and Focusrite stuff isn't available for shipping here in India... so I have only 2 choices.. the Pod GX or the Fast Track.. but.. My heart says Gx... or better, the UX1 if i wait a lil more

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-15 03:02:46

At 11/13/12 05:59 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 11/13/12 04:26 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: I use my aforementioned Fast Track C400 with both Amplitube and Guitar Rig 5 with no perceived latency unless I use something like iZotope Ozone on a channel.
Cool. :)
In my experience though, Line 6 Pod Farm uses the sound card's separate system which means you can keep a high buffer size for your DAW and still have near-zero latency for recording purposes. I can load a maximiser (which usually has about a 100-200ms buffer - Ozone included) and not have to worry about latency. If I use ASIO then I can't load a lot onto my system since I have to decrease buffer size to keep latency low enough to play along.

I don't have a very powerful system though, maybe your computer is much more powerful.

My PC Config-
2 GB Ram
Dual Core
Windows XP SP3 (yea am old school)
Gear-
Schecter Damien 6 Fr (Changed EMG passives to BareKnuckle Pickups- Warpig)
Zoom G3 (for live)
Sennhieser HD 204
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash

Response to Line 6 Gx Or M-audio Fast Track Ii? 2012-11-15 03:03:49

At 11/13/12 09:47 AM, Breed wrote: Sorry actually I was thinking of the mobile pre. The fast track is even worse....and yeah scarlett & audiobox are usually around 150.

Save your pennies, cuz the fast track is a wasted hundred bucks.

just read some reviews on guitarworld about fast track.. its a piece of crap.... thanks :)