00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I want to critique your art.

3,431 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 00:04:53

So long as you understand what criticism is & you're not all butthurt if I give you negative feedback, I would love to criticize your work. Post away!

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 00:14:23

At 11/9/12 12:04 AM, maemaemae wrote: So long as you understand what criticism is & you're not all butthurt if I give you negative feedback, I would love to criticize your work. Post away!

You do realize the art portal has a review system, right? Personally I'd prefer you checked other people's threads and commented on the stuff they're asking for critiques on there, but we'll let this ride and see how it goes :P

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 00:19:12

At 11/9/12 12:14 AM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 11/9/12 12:04 AM, maemaemae wrote: So long as you understand what criticism is & you're not all butthurt if I give you negative feedback, I would love to criticize your work. Post away!
You do realize the art portal has a review system, right? Personally I'd prefer you checked other people's threads and commented on the stuff they're asking for critiques on there, but we'll let this ride and see how it goes :P

Yeah, but it makes more sense to me when people come to you for reviews rather than wait for them, ya' know?
Your art looks p. sweet btw. I'll drop some reviews to be a bit more specific.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 00:27:48

At 11/9/12 12:19 AM, maemaemae wrote: Yeah, but it makes more sense to me when people come to you for reviews rather than wait for them, ya' know?

I do know... that's why most people make threads here... to get feedback/critiques. It's their way of coming to you (and everyone else). You should browse around and bit ...and post a bunch! ;)

Your art looks p. sweet btw. I'll drop some reviews to be a bit more specific.

Thanks... I appreciate it, but it's all pretty old and probably not even worth bothering with at this point lol. Might be best to focus your efforts on the people in here who are actively asking for comments. There are lots of them and I'm sure they would LOVE you for it!

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 00:32:27

At 11/9/12 12:27 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: I do know... that's why most people make threads here... to get feedback/critiques. It's their way of coming to you (and everyone else). You should browse around and bit ...and post a bunch! ;)
Thanks... I appreciate it, but it's all pretty old...

Ah, I see. & I will get right to it. c:

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 01:26:59

Hey! I'd love some feedback, I've been trying to get some on my art but nobody's biting on my thread. In particular I'd like some feedback on this gargoyle.

My husband commented that the head looked pasted on in an earlier version of this, and I tried to fix it, but I'm not sure I've managed it yet.

Also just anything else you can say about it, that'd be great! I want this to look as good as I can, I've spent a lot of time on it.
I suspect there also might be something wrong with his knees

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 01:51:32

At 11/9/12 01:26 AM, Shayl wrote: I suspect there also might be something wrong with his knees

I'm just gonna jump the gun here a bit and say yes, almost always the knee will face the same direction the foot is facing. Just move it to the left a bit and it should look fine.
I'll leave the rest to maem, as it is their thread.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 02:07:23

At 11/9/12 01:26 AM, Shayl wrote: Hey! I'd love some feedback, I've been trying to get some on my art but nobody's biting on my thread. In particular I'd like some feedback on this gargoyle.

My husband commented that the head looked pasted on in an earlier version of this, and I tried to fix it, but I'm not sure I've managed it yet.

Also just anything else you can say about it, that'd be great! I want this to look as good as I can, I've spent a lot of time on it.

Sure thing! I can post on your thread too if you'd like, but here's what I have to say so far.
The head does look like it's it a weird angle. I would suggest pointing the muzzle facing downwards a bit more (like he's facing down, but looking up), even though it may be alot of work...I like the textured look you gave him on his chest alot. Your shading is also done really well - it makes me focus on the points I'm supposed to! I do feel like there needs to be more detail around the nostril area & the area before the forehead though. The belly also seems odd. I'm not sure if he has a belly-button (or if dragons even have one), but there seems like there needs to be something, like a rough texture that you could apply to the rest of his body. The stomach or legs should be larger too, to make it look like there's a bit more supporting his large chest. The knees look fine to me, assuming you haven't gone through them with detail with the wings, loin cloth, etc.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 02:08:36

At 11/9/12 01:51 AM, M-Vero wrote:
At 11/9/12 01:26 AM, Shayl wrote: I suspect there also might be something wrong with his knees
I'm just gonna jump the gun here a bit and say yes, almost always the knee will face the same direction the foot is facing. Just move it to the left a bit and it should look fine.
I'll leave the rest to maem, as it is their thread.

You can critique all you want on here! I don't mind at all! You are helping the artist, afterall.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 02:22:28

At 11/9/12 02:07 AM, maemaemae wrote:
At 11/9/12 01:26 AM, Shayl wrote: Hey! I'd love some feedback, I've been trying to get some on my art but nobody's biting on my thread. In particular I'd like some feedback on this gargoyle.

Sure thing! I can post on your thread too if you'd like, but here's what I have to say so far.
The head does look like it's it a weird angle. I would suggest pointing the muzzle facing downwards a bit more (like he's facing down, but looking up), even though it may be alot of work...I like the textured look you gave him on his chest alot. Your shading is also done really well - it makes me focus on the points I'm supposed to! I do feel like there needs to be more detail around the nostril area & the area before the forehead though. The belly also seems odd. I'm not sure if he has a belly-button (or if dragons even have one), but there seems like there needs to be something, like a rough texture that you could apply to the rest of his body. The stomach or legs should be larger too, to make it look like there's a bit more supporting his large chest. The knees look fine to me, assuming you haven't gone through them with detail with the wings, loin cloth, etc.

Hey thanks this is great stuff.

I don't think he'd have a belly button since he's a dragony-gargoyle thing, but I can see now that there's a bump there that's supposed to be texture that's placed pretty much where a belly button would be. I'll have to change that.

I uploaded a full-res version of the file so you can see the textures in more detail (if you want - this is a 2MB file)
Full Res Drawing - Gargoyle

I'll have to change the head's angle. Your comment is something I've been sort of kicking around myself and hearing someone else say it pretty much confirms I have to. Maybe I can cheat a little with the skew tool and then re-round everything quickly instead of repainting. Kinda doubt it though, skew is usually gross.

Gonna lasso out the left knee (our left) and move it around and see if it looks better, I'm still not sure if it's right or not but I'll move it around quickly to see.

Thanks again!

Feel free to critique any of my stuff, I'm always open for feedback.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 11:19:20

alright, check out my thread http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1229930

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 11:57:52

At 11/9/12 02:22 AM, Shayl wrote: Hey thanks this is great stuff.
I uploaded a full-res version of the file so you can see the textures in more detail (if you want - this is a 2MB file)
Full Res Drawing - Gargoyle

Oh, I see the texture on the stomach now. I take what I said back about that!

Feel free to critique any of my stuff, I'm always open for feedback.

Sure thing! Let me know when you get your next update or if you want me to critique anything else. I'll keep an eye out for your thread too!

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 13:57:35

At 11/9/12 01:32 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: be honest

needs more color

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 14:38:33

At 11/9/12 02:25 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 11/9/12 01:57 PM, maemaemae wrote:
At 11/9/12 01:32 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: be honest
needs more color
which colours, specifically

all of them
it also needs more upside-down crosses

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 16:35:08

At 11/9/12 04:18 PM, DigiYolk wrote:
This is a papercraft I designed/created for my new game i'm working on :) Let me know what you think :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digiyolk/clydes-adventur e-reborn/posts/345348

Hee well -I- love it. Only thing you might want to do is go over any of the edges showing white with a marker or paint that matches the printed color as close as you can. Happens most at the seams and stuff.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 20:28:12

At 11/9/12 04:40 PM, DigiYolk wrote:
Hee well -I- love it. Only thing you might want to do is go over any of the edges showing white with a marker or paint that matches the printed color as close as you can. Happens most at the seams and stuff.
Hrm, that's very good advice! :) I'm glad you like it! :D

They're super cute & awesome! c: I agree with Shayl though & my other suggestion is to take a photo that's direct, like a frame so we can get an even view.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-09 20:41:32

At 11/9/12 08:36 PM, DigiYolk wrote: That kind of confuses me. If I were to take a truely direct shot it would just look like a 2D image (which is the opposite of the desired effect since the game is 2D and the purpose of the papercraft is to give it a neat '3D' twist/perspective).

It was made from this screenshot of the game.

Well, I don't mean to have that photo as the ONLY photo! I'd just like to see it in that view too.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-10 01:16:28

go on my page and check my art out, i think i'm improving and would love to receive some criticism i think my art is coming along nicely

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-10 09:06:20

wow omg i should try this
UH

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 01:33:07

At 11/10/12 09:06 AM, Mrsblitzkrieg wrote: wow omg i should try this
UH

I really like this. It has great colors. The framing on it isn't the best though, I feel like there isn't much going on. I would like to see more of this creature & the environment he's in. I also feel like this could go without the texture you placed over it.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 09:30:43

This is a piece I would like looked at. I plan on using her for a painting. The shot is blurry, somewhat I know, but ignore that and I just want to make sure everything is right and that her proportions are correct, etc. Keep in mind, this is a stylized work, so please don't judge as if it were realistic. Thank you.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 10:50:19

Well, if you´re still into checking peoples art out, then if you had the time, would you check some of my art out? =P And I can take critic like a champ, so blast away!

Well, here is my art!

BBS Signature

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 10:59:49

At 11/11/12 10:56 AM, Kane-Farrell wrote:
At 11/11/12 09:30 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: This is a piece I would like looked at. I plan on using her for a painting. The shot is blurry, somewhat I know, but ignore that and I just want to make sure everything is right and that her proportions are correct, etc. Keep in mind, this is a stylized work, so please don't judge as if it were realistic. Thank you.
hey let me critique it this time

your drawing might still be off (we don't know yet) but god damn FINALLY you're using expressions instead of bland faces thank GOD.

still a long way to go though maybe

I actually went in and corrected the hands, legs and feet since the feet were too big, the calfs too long, and the hand holding the bow was too small. Also, this:

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 11:38:04

At 11/11/12 09:30 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: This is a piece I would like looked at. I plan on using her for a painting. The shot is blurry, somewhat I know, but ignore that and I just want to make sure everything is right and that her proportions are correct, etc. Keep in mind, this is a stylized work, so please don't judge as if it were realistic. Thank you.

Use references.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs32/i/2008/196/5/6/archer4_by_sy ccas_stock.jpg

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 12:02:25

At 11/11/12 11:38 AM, Mabelma wrote:
Use references.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs32/i/2008/196/5/6/archer4_by_sy ccas_stock.jpg

I already knew what that looked like. I wouldn't have attempted that pose without prior knowledge. Besides, I wanted to make it look cooler. The way that guy is standing is just boring.

BBS Signature

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 12:05:57

At 11/11/12 12:02 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: I already knew what that looked like. I wouldn't have attempted that pose without prior knowledge. Besides, I wanted to make it look cooler. The way that guy is standing is just boring.

Arms, your back arm is awful that's what I meant when I said use reference.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 13:13:09

At 11/11/12 10:56 AM, Kane-Farrell wrote: hey let me critique it this time

Funny how the only person you and Mabelma felt the need to critique was Hiryu. You both know where his thread is... if you have something to say about his stuff, go say it there. Don't clog up yet another topic with that drama. This is maemaemae's thread. Let her do the critiquing.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 13:51:21

At 11/11/12 01:13 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 11/11/12 10:56 AM, Kane-Farrell wrote: hey let me critique it this time
Funny how the only person you and Mabelma felt the need to critique was Hiryu. You both know where his thread is... if you have something to say about his stuff, go say it there. Don't clog up yet another topic with that drama. This is maemaemae's thread. Let her do the critiquing.

I'm sorry ReNaeNae but I'm actually trying to help, I thought anyone could come and critique but if that's not the case my apologies. The reason I critique Hiryu was because maemaemae hasn't gotten to him yet, but my bad really. I don't wanna start drama, I just wanted to critique a piece. Is he not just another member? Is he above the rest of us, that just because he's a horrible member I can't critique his work without being lectured for it? Not trying to start, I'll stop talking about him, and with him. I just think that just because he's a dick we have to be "punished" for talking to him. I've been here for quite some time, everyone deserves some comment on their art, no matter how big of an asshole he is.

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 14:22:35

At 11/11/12 01:51 PM, Mabelma wrote: Is he not just another member? Is he above the rest of us, that just because he's a horrible member I can't critique his work without being lectured for it? Not trying to start, I'll stop talking about him, and with him. I just think that just because he's a dick we have to be "punished" for talking to him. I've been here for quite some time, everyone deserves some comment on their art, no matter how big of an asshole he is.

In what way were you being lectured or punished? I said... 'you know where his thread is, go post there.'

...and as someone that's 'been here for quite some time' it's incredibly disappointing to see you attempting to play a victim while simultaneously insulting and name calling another user. Not only is it immature, but it pretty much invalidates your claims of 'not trying to start' and 'just trying to help.'

Can we PLEASE stop beating a dead horse now?!

Response to I want to critique your art. 2012-11-11 14:24:09

This thread should a be a one shot/shut up and post thread. Please feel free to review this piece, I'll PM you later with your points.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature