00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

my computer is dying :'(

1,309 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 16:27:48

My laptop is practically dead now and I can't make music anymore. I'm a poor college student so I can't make a new desktop.

This absolutely sucks.

I feel like I've lost my identity.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 16:40:12

Just out of curiosity, Sequenced, what do you use for music software? Is a portable version an option at all?
I mean, I'm asking this because I know FL Studio has portable versions which you can install into USBs or external hard drives, so perhaps all may not be lost.

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 16:45:35

At 10/28/12 04:40 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Just out of curiosity, Sequenced, what do you use for music software? Is a portable version an option at all?
I mean, I'm asking this because I know FL Studio has portable versions which you can install into USBs or external hard drives, so perhaps all may not be lost.

I use fl studio and ableton live.

the only issue is that all of my samples and shit are on my lappy.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 16:51:28

If you're relying on SF2s, I know the Audio Portal has that thread with 800+ soundfonts, so if a redownloading is due and you have a college computer at your disposal, feel free to click here.

I'm not the best with isolated samples, so if anyone would like to give Sequenced a hand here, please do.

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 17:09:21

Oh no! I can relate because my laptop is on the out as well and all of my work....ALL of it is on there. I can't think of anything helpful to say other than have you tried transferring your files/samples off of your computer (if you're even able)? If not, are you able to salvage the hard drive and what's on it? I feel for you...this kind of thing sucks. :(

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 18:24:22

Damn it man... Good luck getting a new one. Have you considered formatting it and starting from scratch with a fresh hard drive? That might speed it back up.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 18:44:19

At 10/28/12 06:24 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Damn it man... Good luck getting a new one. Have you considered formatting it and starting from scratch with a fresh hard drive? That might speed it back up.

I'm going to take it to IT services in my college tomorrow. (if the hurricane hasn't destroyed us yet). Thankfully my laptop turned on and is working smoothly again after I defragged it.

It's about time I invest in an external harddrive.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-10-28 19:04:50

Sequenced, I fix laptops as a side business. I have fixed about 300+ computers

and 2 Macs COUGH COUGH COUGH jk

Send me a PM and I will walk you through some awesome stuff to get your computer cleaned up. I have 400+ tools for these sorts of things so we can determine the problem and I'll send you a step by step tutorial with the tools you need.

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-07 19:22:39

Save up 1 grand and drop some $$ for a good mobo and CPU, buy a cheap GPU and you can have a nice build for music processing.

Certified audiophreak, lv 60.

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-07 19:27:21

At 10/28/12 06:24 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Damn it man... Good luck getting a new one. Have you considered formatting it and starting from scratch with a fresh hard drive? That might speed it back up.

HDD's don't effect how fast the computer is.
Buy a SATA connecter to power your drive and extract the data, then invest in a better CPU/GPU.

Certified audiophreak, lv 60.

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-08 09:55:31

At 11/7/12 07:22 PM, Slipstreamer wrote: Save up 1 grand and drop some $$ for a good mobo and CPU, buy a cheap GPU and you can have a nice build for music processing.

You really only need $500 to do a relatively very nice computer build.

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-08 09:58:32

At 11/7/12 07:27 PM, Slipstreamer wrote:
HDD's don't effect how fast the computer is.
Buy a SATA connecter to power your drive and extract the data, then invest in a better CPU/GPU.

Uh, well that's not true at all lol. You HDD is a huge limiting factor of data throughput on pretty much every front. For instance doing a Raid 0 of a set of SSD (sata III) will give you around 1GBps read rates from the set of drives. Which means how fast the OS and programs of any kind load, react and save data will be lightning fast.

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-08 10:20:37

At 11/8/12 09:55 AM, joshhunsaker wrote: You really only need $500 to do a relatively very nice computer build.

This. I'm an IT, and I support this message.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-08 11:33:32

At 11/8/12 09:55 AM, joshhunsaker wrote:
At 11/7/12 07:22 PM, Slipstreamer wrote: Save up 1 grand and drop some $$ for a good mobo and CPU, buy a cheap GPU and you can have a nice build for music processing.
You really only need $500 to do a relatively very nice computer build.

This. Depending on if you live on your own you can raise it rather quickly.

Just set some cash aside every now and again.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-08 23:04:48

At 10/28/12 04:27 PM, Sequenced wrote: My laptop is practically dead now and I can't make music anymore. I'm a poor college student so I can't make a new desktop.

This absolutely sucks.

I feel like I've lost my identity.

Dude, I know exactly how this feels. I'm almost 2 months into an epic loss of ALL my gear, due to huge power surge that bipassed my UPS gate. (actually blew that too).

It get's crowded without a creative outlet. Wish I could help you, dude.

BBS Signature

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-08 23:50:16

I really miss all the competition streams we used to have on here :(

with echoez' and xkore's streams we had some good times.

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-09 00:01:06

At 11/8/12 11:50 PM, jpbear wrote: I really miss all the competition streams we used to have on here :(

with echoez' and xkore's streams we had some good times.

meant to post this in the lounge lol

Response to my computer is dying :'( 2012-11-09 00:01:29

At 11/8/12 11:04 PM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: Dude, I know exactly how this feels. I'm almost 2 months into an epic loss of ALL my gear, due to huge power surge that bipassed my UPS gate. (actually blew that too).

Dude! Thats horrible! This is even worse than what happened to other guy!

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature