00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Screamo Club

9,343 Views | 84 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-28 20:43:09

At 10/28/12 08:16 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: This. If you want to have a club for the screamo genre (Alesana, Silverstein, Underoath, The Used, Alexisonfire, Escape the Fate, etc.) I recommand you start a new club with a new introduction post.

I still think this thread can still be saved. Just carry on past the derailed parts and if you want to berate each other, use the PM system.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-28 21:07:36

At 10/28/12 08:43 PM, reverend wrote: I still think this thread can still be saved. Just carry on past the derailed parts and if you want to berate each other, use the PM system.

This club in the way it was introduced doesn't have any purpose for the creator of the club doesn't understsand screamo properly. If this was an actual screamo club as in a club dedicated to the screamo musical genre, it would be fine. But screamo as defined by the op doesn't exist.

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-28 21:11:39

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 00:41:46

At 10/28/12 04:36 PM, reverend wrote: Well if you don't like it then why are you posting in this thread?
You probably should stop now since you are just derailing it.

And you should probably read further before you post.

Also, I think most metalheads hate core of any kind. I have only heard a few songs that I like, and those songs are all from "Of Mice and Men". Other than that, core is shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 05:46:07

Name - Kieran
Your favorite screamo band(s) - 1905, City of Caterpillar, I Hate Myself, Raein, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You. Probably a few more I haven't thought of.
Your favorite screamo song(s) - 1905 - Can't Change Everything, City of Caterpillar - A Little Change Could Go A Long Wats, I Hate Myself - This Isn't Tenkachi Budokai, Raein - Tigersuit, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You - Three.
Your favorite screamo genre(s) - Good ol' 90s hardcore punk. Some of the screamo influenced emo revival stuff is pretty sweet too... like Snowing.
Your favorite screamo technique(s) - Yeah, I don't know what this means.
Can you produce screamo? - Sure.
Are you in a screamo band? - Nope, I'm in a Lo-fi Stoner Noise Rock band though.
Something else interesting about yourself - Uhh, I've had an interest in screamo/emo music since I was around 12. I'm not that interesting. Some of you seem like p. cool fellas tho.

Thanks to QuikFox for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 13:34:33

At 10/29/12 05:46 AM, KieranNG wrote: Name - Kieran

Who cool man, I wasn't aware you were into that kind of stuff. I Hate Myself and Snowing are great bands. You might dig Merchant Ships too

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 16:08:36

I need to know if the following bands count as Screamo. Some of these may be obvious but I wanna make sure first.

From First To Last
Axewound
Cancer Bats
We Came As Romans

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 16:25:26

At 10/28/12 03:55 PM, Kytraal wrote:
At 10/27/12 11:18 PM, Poopwardo wrote:
Must have a understanding for screamo.
I'm not sure if you fit the club since you lack one of the requirements.

Maybe you should join this instead.

I myself understand screamo and don't need a newgrounds troll to tell me otherwise. I have been doing it myself for a year and screamo is a vocal technique and NOT a genre. There are metal bands that don't even have screamo in them. So chill yourself.

Firin mah lazer.....

blaaa....eehhh.......

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 16:30:57

Your favorite screamo band(s) - 1905, City of Caterpillar, I Hate Myself, Raein, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You. Probably a few more I haven't thought of.
Your favorite screamo song(s) - 1905 - Can't Change Everything, City of Caterpillar - A Little Change Could Go A Long Wats, I Hate Myself - This Isn't Tenkachi Budokai, Raein - Tigersuit, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You - Three.
Your favorite screamo genre(s) - Good ol' 90s hardcore punk. Some of the screamo influenced emo revival stuff is pretty sweet too... like Snowing.
Your favorite screamo technique(s) - Yeah, I don't know what this means.
Can you produce screamo? - Sure.
Are you in a screamo band? - Nope, I'm in a Lo-fi Stoner Noise Rock band though.
Something else interesting about yourself - Uhh, I've had an interest in screamo/emo music since I was around 12. I'm not that interesting. Some of you seem like p. cool fellas tho.

And sorry for double posting but I have no idea how to edit posts which forces me to double post, so I just want everyone to stop arguing about stupid nonsense and end this dispute. Screamo is the word we use for the distorted, harsh vocals that make a scream like sound. And Kieran you're totally accepted into the crew. Welcome.

Firin mah lazer.....

blaaa....eehhh.......

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 18:35:46

At 10/29/12 12:41 AM, TruBluFoxx wrote: Also, I think most metalheads hate core of any kind.

Well, a lot of the kind of dedicated metal-heads who know about all the subgenres and actually understand what is really metal and what isn't seem to have a tendency to dislike the metalcore and nu-metal and whatnot. However, I, however, like a few metalcore and nu-metal songs such as My Curse by Killswitch Engage, Not Falling and World so Cold by Mudvayne, most of the Follow the Leader album by Korn, Make me Bad by Korn, and a few songs by Flaw.

And I'm one of those "four horsemen" of the Metal Hell. We hardly get new people, though. Also, Jarrydn used to be in the Hell, and he was the one who started the Nu-Metal/Metalcore Crew, and he knew what was what. He also had a Hello Kitty guitar. XD

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 18:42:11

At 10/29/12 04:25 PM, Poopwardo wrote: I myself understand screamo and don't need a newgrounds troll to tell me otherwise.

You insinuated that death metal and deathcore are sub-genres of screamo. And you also seemed to suggest that screamo is a vocal style instead of a genre, which, given the fact that you had just referred to there being subgenres of screamo, is very contradictory, inconsistent, and doesn't really make sense. So, I think it's pretty likely that you don't understand it.

And just because somebody says something directed towards you that isn't too flattering doesn't mean that they're a troll. And in this case, you weren't exactly being trolled. People are misusing that term a lot lately.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 18:49:21

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

get it?

(hint: I just screamed and this is the...SCREAMO CLUB *guffaw guffaw*)

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 19:05:27

At 10/29/12 06:42 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/29/12 04:25 PM, Poopwardo wrote: I myself understand screamo and don't need a newgrounds troll to tell me otherwise.
You insinuated that death metal and deathcore are sub-genres of screamo. And you also seemed to suggest that screamo is a vocal style instead of a genre, which, given the fact that you had just referred to there being subgenres of screamo, is very contradictory, inconsistent, and doesn't really make sense. So, I think it's pretty likely that you don't understand it.

And just because somebody says something directed towards you that isn't too flattering doesn't mean that they're a troll. And in this case, you weren't exactly being trolled. People are misusing that term a lot lately.

Alright, me having to type this again due to my internet crashing just pisses me off. So I'm writing this just to prove my understandings of Screamo. I never said that deathcore & deathmetal is a subgenre of Screamo. I don't know where you got that from. So I'll explain in this paragraph the difference. Metal is a type of music consisting of heavy guitars, beats, drums & music. Not all metal bands have Screamo in them, especially Nu-Metal bands. Screamo is a vocal technique. The phrase Screamo is given to the practice of the distorted, harsh vocals produced by your Adam's Apple. Screamo is produced by a vocalist similar to singing, but different. Now that I wrapped that up, please do not tell me that I'm unfamiliar with what I do.

Firin mah lazer.....

blaaa....eehhh.......

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-29 22:25:19

At 10/29/12 04:25 PM, Poopwardo wrote: I myself understand screamo and don't need a newgrounds troll to tell me otherwise. I have been doing it myself for a year and screamo is a vocal technique and NOT a genre. There are metal bands that don't even have screamo in them. So chill yourself.

Screamo is a musical genre. Not a vocal technique. It's funny you say otherwise because even in the opening post you listed vocal techniques like Death Growls, Fry Screams, Pig Squeals and more.. and for some undefined reason you decided that they all felt under the "screamo vocal technique". Screamo (Scream & Emo) is a genre that evolved from Emotive Hardcore Punk in the 90's. It's a musical genre. Maybe the screamo genre is defined by a specific vocal style, but it isn't a vocal style in itself.

At 10/29/12 06:42 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: You insinuated that death metal and deathcore are sub-genres of screamo. And you also seemed to suggest that screamo is a vocal style instead of a genre, which, given the fact that you had just referred to there being subgenres of screamo, is very contradictory, inconsistent, and doesn't really make sense. So, I think it's pretty likely that you don't understand it.

Seemed obvious to me to. It's so absurd that there is someone in this world who believes Death Metal is linked in anyway to Screamo.

This just seems to be the easy way out for people who don't like to face and answers critics. It stand along with the "you're just jealous" and "you're just close-minded" commonly used in pointless debates by people woh don't like to think too much.

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-30 03:06:02

At 10/29/12 01:34 PM, SineRider wrote:
Who cool man, I wasn't aware you were into that kind of stuff. I Hate Myself and Snowing are great bands. You might dig Merchant Ships too

I consider Merchant Ships to be one of the most important bands of emo/screamo revival. They went on to form some amazing bands. Park Jefferson, Midwest Pen Pals and William Booney. Every band any of the members have been involved in were/are fucking awesome. William Booney is probably my screamo AOTY.

Thanks to QuikFox for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-30 15:45:10

At 10/29/12 08:05 PM, Rummy0 wrote: blah blah blah I'm a faggot

I swear to god people who listen to death metal are the most self-righteous, arrogant pricks on the planet. Cool dude, you like different music. Obviously that makes anything you don't like shit. These are the exact people I predicted would ruin the thread with their bullshit preaching.

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-30 17:43:00

Your name - Joey

Your favorite screamo band(s) - Axewound, We Came As Romans, From First To Last, Cancer Bats, Whitechapel (if they count)

Your favorite screamo song(s) - Road Sick, Note To Self, Sabotage (Cover), Understanding What We've Grown to Be

Your favorite screamo genre(s) - Nintendocore is the only subgenre of screamo I can think of that is okay.

Your favorite screamo technique(s) - Not quite sure what this means.

Can you produce screamo? - No.

Are you in a screamo band? - I wish.

About Me - I make ambient music.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-30 19:05:23

At 10/30/12 03:45 PM, jAvAcOlA wrote:
I swear to god people who listen to death metal are the most self-righteous, arrogant pricks on the planet. Cool dude, you like different music. Obviously that makes anything you don't like shit. These are the exact people I predicted would ruin the thread with their bullshit preaching.

Generalizations like that only make you look like a dumbass.

As one who listens to death metal and many other kinds of music, there are plenty of things I don't personally like but respect anyway. Screamo is not one of them. There are reasons for the hate.

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-30 19:30:13

I like Death Metal... and Post-Rock, and Neofolk, and Thrash Metal, and Doom Metal, and Hardcore Punk, and Contemporary Classical, and Rap, and Shoegaze, and Electronic, and Ambient, and Black Metal, and Sludge, and Stoner Rock, and Progressive Metal, and Progressive Rock, and Drone, and Crust Punk, and Electronic Ambient, and Glitch Hop, and more.

Fuck you javacoia. You pretentious judgemental dickwad.

At 10/30/12 05:43 PM, J-Rex wrote: Your favorite screamo genre(s) - Nintendocore is the only subgenre of screamo I can think of that is okay.

You mean crap like iwreastledabearonce?

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-30 23:07:35

At 10/29/12 06:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/29/12 12:41 AM, TruBluFoxx wrote: Also, I think most metalheads hate core of any kind.
Well, a lot of the kind of dedicated metal-heads who know about all the subgenres and actually understand what is really metal and what isn't seem to have a tendency to dislike the metalcore and nu-metal and whatnot. However, I, however, like a few metalcore and nu-metal songs such as My Curse by Killswitch Engage, Not Falling and World so Cold by Mudvayne, most of the Follow the Leader album by Korn, Make me Bad by Korn, and a few songs by Flaw.

Eh, killswitch Engage is an interesting mix, and I myself like All that Remains, but there is a noticeable difference between them and practically all core bands. I have seen some hate for numetal but most is stemmed from Fred Durst being a a giant douche. Also, Mudvayne's "Not Falling" is an amazing song.

And I'm one of those "four horsemen" of the Metal Hell. We hardly get new people, though. Also, Jarrydn used to be in the Hell, and he was the one who started the Nu-Metal/Metalcore Crew, and he knew what was what. He also had a Hello Kitty guitar. XD

I kinda left Metal Hell after a discussion about Fleshgod Apocalypse. No bad blood, just forgot to check up in it.

Also, Rummy, you are my hero xD

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-30 23:30:04

At 10/30/12 11:07 PM, TruBluFoxx wrote: Eh, killswitch Engage is an interesting mix, and I myself like All that Remains, but there is a noticeable difference between them and practically all core bands. I have seen some hate for numetal but most is stemmed from Fred Durst being a a giant douche. Also, Mudvayne's "Not Falling" is an amazing song.

We still have to understand the distinction between metalcore and screamo here. Both ATR and Killswitch Engage are Metalcore bands, not Screamo. And Nu-Metal is generally suckish, and not just because of Lame Biscuit. I've been through a lot of Nu-Metal to try and find something good. But it's filled with boring chugging alternative rock riffs on down-tuned guitars and distortion. It lacks all that makes Rock interesting, while flat-out failling in the Metal aspects it tries to emulate.

I kinda left Metal Hell after a discussion about Fleshgod Apocalypse. No bad blood, just forgot to check up in it.

What happenned ? I think Fleshgod Apocalypse are generall well-received in the Metal Hell. I dislike the newest album a lot. But I don't see how you could have been offended enough by my words or the words of other members of the Metal Hell on this band.

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 06:56:22

0/30/12 05:43 PM, J-Rex wrote:

Your favorite screamo genre(s) - Nintendocore is the only subgenre of screamo I can think of that is okay.
You mean crap like iwreastledabearonce?

Well I've heard one or two Nintendocore songs and they were good and I didn't no any screamo genres off the top off my head besides that.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 09:03:33

At 10/27/12 11:18 PM, Poopwardo wrote: Good song examples ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMRNAkbVoXA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NJ3i8IAico
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkjfaV9k8Q

Those aren't Screamo songs.

I am evil.

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 16:09:00

BAHAHAHAHA! OMFG dude you're fucking awesome! XD

So if screamo isn't a vocal technique than what do you call the screaming? Other than Fry, Growl, Grunt, False Chord, Sqealing & all of that?

Firin mah lazer.....

blaaa....eehhh.......

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 16:55:06

Lets just get all points here so it stops now and so this thread can stay back on topic:

1. Screamo is a genre, not a vocal style
2. Metal is not Screamo, Screamo is not Metal
3. Screams in a song do not make it Screamo

it only seems to be OP getting it wrong though.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 18:07:36

At 10/31/12 03:45 PM, Rummy0 wrote: not liking them is neither elitism nor narrow-minded because it's called having taste

This is incredibly hypocritical. Yes, not liking certain music is fine. It becomes narrow-minded when you say things like "its called having taste". You can argue this all day, there isn't one type of music that's better than another. People like what they like, just get over it and don't be such a tool pushing your beliefs on other people.

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 18:36:18

At 10/31/12 06:07 PM, jAvAcOlA wrote: This is incredibly hypocritical. Yes, not liking certain music is fine. It becomes narrow-minded when you say things like "its called having taste". You can argue this all day, there isn't one type of music that's better than another. People like what they like, just get over it and don't be such a tool pushing your beliefs on other people.

A lot of music is subjective but there is some that is less subjective, the things people can mostly agree on.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 18:44:38

At 10/31/12 04:09 PM, Poopwardo wrote: BAHAHAHAHA! OMFG dude you're fucking awesome! XD

What's awesome about making a sweeping generalization which makes him look like a retard?

So if screamo isn't a vocal technique than what do you call the screaming? Other than Fry, Growl, Grunt, False Chord, Sqealing & all of that?

Why not simply call it screaming? That's what it is after all. Just avoid using the term "screaming" when referring to anything that isn't screamo.

You could also just call it "harsh vocals," which works well enough with pretty much any vocal style that isn't clean.

At 10/31/12 06:36 PM, BumFodder wrote: A lot of music is subjective but there is some that is less subjective, the things people can mostly agree on.

I like to say that opinions on music are entirely subjective, but also strongly dependent on how much an individual knows about music or how adjusted they are to certain sounds. I'd also say that while opinions on the sounds are subjective, talent is not. Some bands simply don't have any talent.

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 20:19:04

At 10/31/12 06:36 PM, BumFodder wrote: A lot of music is subjective but there is some that is less subjective, the things people can mostly agree on.

The vocals in the music he posted sounds horrendous to me. And it's nearly impossible to make out what they're saying. Say all you want about how well they play there instruments (which I agree, most of the time they are better in that department), they lack an entire phase of music...vocals.

If you want to play the game you're playing, I can sit here and say that it takes a hell of a lot of talent to be a great singer, and those bands simply can't do that.

Once again, there's no point to us arguing this. It's like arguing religion, there's no right answer. You all are probably the same people who think rap is just "monkeys making noise".

Response to Screamo Club 2012-10-31 20:39:31

At 10/31/12 08:19 PM, jAvAcOlA wrote: If you want to play the game you're playing, I can sit here and say that it takes a hell of a lot of talent to be a great singer, and those bands simply can't do that.

Believe it or not, properly screaming/growling/whatever such that the vocalist doesn't damage his voice is somewhat difficult. It may not sound good to you, possibly because you're simply not used to it (I used to hate those vocals myself,) but that doesn't make it bad.

Once again, there's no point to us arguing this. It's like arguing religion, there's no right answer. You all are probably the same people who think rap is just "monkeys making noise".

I know I don't feel that way about rap. I don't personally like it but respect it much of the time. I doubt most of us hate rap either.