00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

why do so many people like the nes?

1,136 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

like really, there aren't tthat many good games on it besides mario, elda and earthbound, everything else is crappy sidescrollers or 8 bit versions of arcade games nobody likes like joust.

so tell me, why it is it better than N64, SNES, Playstation series and PC?

filler text

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-16 17:59:28

At 10/16/12 05:57 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: like really, there aren't tthat many good games on it besides mario, elda and earthbound, everything else is crappy sidescrollers or 8 bit versions of arcade games nobody likes like joust.

oopsie i meant Zelda

filler text

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-16 18:41:49

At 10/16/12 05:57 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: like really, there aren't tthat many good games on it besides mario, elda and earthbound, everything else is crappy sidescrollers or 8 bit versions of arcade games nobody likes like joust.

The Nes I believe was mainly enjoyed for the gameplay ,I don't think the storylines for most of the games on that system are really that plot driven outside of the Rpgs and that maybe some of the most establish series have started first on that system which is probably good to how it begin. Some of the arcade conversions were actually getting better that time though not exactly faithful to the original.

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-16 19:04:14

Who said it was better? For me, it was the first game system I owned, and as such, it holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. As maudlin as that sounds, I'm sure it's the same for most people that owned an NES. Besides, there are more than just three good games on the NES, and most of the ones on there are venerable classics. Kid Icarus, Metroid, Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, Star Tropics, each one greater than the last. Or something like that.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-16 19:52:56

Since when has anyone ever said this?

No one would say it was the best console ever, but its significance for the industry can't be denied. It had lots of innovative features like multiscreen games, the d-pad, etc... It saved the industry from repetitice Atari games and arcades, and it established lots of modern franchises.

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-16 20:19:03

It's a combination of irony and nostalgia.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-16 21:57:20

The NES is the system that saved the video game industry in the 80's, and with that created a foundation of games franchises that many people recognize and some are still continuing to this day, whether on Nintendo or in other consoles. Nostalgic factor aside, the NES introduced the whole world to games and iconic franchises such as Mario, Zelda and so on, and subsequent consoles have continued to improve and even perfect said game franchises.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-16 22:26:10

NES had more good games than just the Mario Trilogy and Zelda. There was also Galaga, Duck Hunt, Metroid, S.C.A.T (unfortunate name, I know) Megaman, Castlevania, etc.

However, I do think SNES and N64 were better. I still play my N64.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-17 04:46:26

The NES became obsolete for me really fast - That is why my family sold it.

SNES was a lot better, but N64 was dee-best!

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-17 05:15:53

Because a vast majority of us grew up with the nes/snes & playstation and so on so we'll always hold them and their games dear just like kids growing up with ps3 & xboxs will mostly hold them dear.

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-17 08:33:06

You forgot Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania, to name a few.
I love the music and gameplay from some NES games, but some are just shit. Most of the people who you hear about liking it are hipsters who think being retro is cool.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-17 12:59:17

At 10/16/12 05:57 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: so tell me, why it is it better than N64, SNES, Playstation series and PC?

Well probably because N64 games have aged like ass and run at about 5fps, but I don't think anyone legitimately likes the NES more than the SNES. Some games have aged well and it laid the groundwork for some of the biggest franchises in the industry.

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-17 16:58:29

A lot of people have nostalgia for it and you can't deny its place in video gaming history. After Atari crashed in the 1980s, Nintendo really did help to bring video games back to the American marketplace.

Also, the NES has a lot of other cool games besides the ones you listed. Ever tried Kirby's Adventure?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-17 17:24:09

At 10/17/12 04:46 AM, Painbringer wrote: The NES became obsolete for me really fast - That is why my family sold it.

We got an NES long after its days were over, but I played the Mario games, Duck Hunt, Duck Talez, and Galaga constantly. Those were the only good games we actually owned. Jaws was crap and TMNT was too freaking hard. But I got to rent some other good games for it. Actually, I mentioned TMNT being too hard, but S.C.A.T was even harder, but still awesome.

At 10/17/12 12:59 PM, Jackho wrote: Well probably because N64 games have aged like ass and run at about 5fps

Not all of the N64 games have aged so badly. I still think OoT, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Kirby 64, Mario 64, Mischief Makers, and Yoshi's Story are all really good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-17 18:25:11

because people got tired of good graphics and 3d gameplay

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-20 04:26:40

It's just the beautiful sense of nostalgia that you get, simple as. It's like thinking about playing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Megadrive for the first time. It was a beautiful moment, like listening to the Beatles for the first time.

Response to why do so many people like the nes? 2012-10-20 04:33:50

I can't say I'm a great NES player myself but I can definitely see where this console made a huge impact on video games. The console's games library certainly has its own charm with the graphics and music. Also, I would not consider Mega Man games as "crappy sidescrollers" so there's those games to be excited for.