00:00
00:00

Take A Look! It's In A Book!

1,405 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 17:27:16

That thread title make you nostalgia a little bit? Let me ask you something then... how long has it been since you have sat down and read a book? Yeah, I know gamers already take up video games as their main hobby or preferred art form to study... I know I have. However you have to keep in mind that there are other art forms out there such as movies, television, music, and books.

However the funny thing is, video games seem to have come into all of these other forms. Not so much movies, but television... there are a variety of video game related shows here on the Internet, from Zero Punctuation and Extra Credits to name two. The music department is already filled, everybody who loves video games, loves video game music to some extent. So that leaves just books.

There are actually a lot of books written about video games and I'm not talking about strategy guides, magazines, comic books, or web comics. I am talking about books related to video games. How many of you read video game literature or even know about it? Not that many I imagine. Well I'm gonna do you a favor and share two here for you.

Floor Games and Little Wars
By: H.G. Wells

This is pretty much where video games started. Before the computer, before the table-top RPGs, before Magic the gathering. There was Floor Games and Little Wars. I would recommend Little Wars more and see Floor Games as a companion book to Little Wars, but we're gonna get to that.

Floor Games is pretty much H.G. Wells observing the theory and reasoning behind children playing games with little miniatures and props. Little Wars is a rule book for having miniature wars with small soldiers and other props. If you're interested in video games, especially table-top RPGs, strategy games, western RPGs, JRPGs, or if you're looking to get into being a game designer, then this is a book you should read.

Without this we would not have had other table-top strategy games, we wouldn't even have Dungeons & Dragons. Shoot in a 2004 re-release of this book, Gary Gygax one of the creators of D&D wrote the foreword for it. It is a really old book so you can read it online for free since it is practically in the public domain. You have no reason not to.

All Your Base Are Belong To Us
By: Harold Goldberg

Yes, that is this book's real title. Pretty much a nice beginning to the history of video games. You get to learn the early beginnings of Mario, Link, King's Quest, Ultima, Bioshock, and more. The concept name for Crash Bandicoot was "Sonic's Ass". Didn't know that? Why that name? Well you should pick up the book and read about it. Like I said it's an introductory book.

Now there are other books out there such as Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto, Dungeons and Desktops, 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die, and Masters of Doom just to name a few more.

Questions of the Day
1. What video game books have you read?
2. What non-video game books have you read?
3. Did you scroll down to this section first before reading the thread?
4. Do you read the books in The Elder Scrolls games?
5. Do you write books in Minecraft?
6. Did the Reading Rainbow theme pop into your head when you read the title?

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 17:44:24

At 10/11/12 05:27 PM, The-Great-One wrote:

This is gonna be fun.

Questions of the Day

The Elder Scrolls mostly

A lot. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Lord of the Rings, CS Lewis' books, complete set of sherlock holmes, and others that I can't think of atm.

I skimmed it, but then I read the whole thing again after reading this question.

yup

Don't own the game.

FUCK YEAH!

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 17:45:47

Awesome, another one of these threads. Tl;dr and pointless! Seriously, this is more akin to a news post.

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 18:21:24

At 10/11/12 05:45 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Awesome, another one of these threads. Tl;dr and pointless! Seriously, this is more akin to a news post.

Sorry if I want to have some kind of discussion in the video game forums. I guess I should go make a "sexiest video game character thread" and post it with a picture of Ms. Pac-Man then shouldn't I?

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 18:36:23

At 10/11/12 06:21 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 10/11/12 05:45 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Awesome, another one of these threads. Tl;dr and pointless! Seriously, this is more akin to a news post.
Sorry if I want to have some kind of discussion in the video game forums. I guess I should go make a "sexiest video game character thread" and post it with a picture of Ms. Pac-Man then shouldn't I?

I'm pretty sure he just makes that post for the +1 post count but he's just too lazy to answer the five questions.
Anyways...

No clue what the title was, but in third grade I read this Super Mario 2 story where you choose the ending and stuff.

Hitchhiker's Guide, The Carpet Maker, Hunger Games, some generic vampire in highschool book...

I read the first paragraph.

I try, but I couldn't understand the handwriting in most of them.

Yo fuk minecraft

slowplane.mpg popped into my head. So kinda.

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 18:50:50

At 10/11/12 05:27 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

The Legend of Zelda manga.

I never read novels. I only read manga or comics like Death Note.

Yes.

No.

Never.

No.

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 21:43:31

At 10/11/12 06:36 PM, Chdonga wrote: I'm pretty sure he just makes that post for the +1 post count but he's just too lazy to answer the five questions.
Anyways...

Because I give 2 shits about 5 pointless questions in a thread that's already garbage to begin with... Yeah, that's it.

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-11 23:11:08

At 10/11/12 09:43 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Because I give 2 shits about 5 pointless questions in a thread that's already garbage to begin with... Yeah, that's it.

Forgive me then, why did you post in this thread then? You have contributed nothing to my topic at hand and just slandered it for no reason.

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-12 05:12:52

At 10/11/12 05:27 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

I suppose you mean books about games, not books in games. Well the only thing I can recall that sort of video game related is a book called j-Pod which is about of group video games designers. Does that count?

The Hobbit, A Clock Work Orange, American Psycho, The Darktower part 1-3( still got 4-7 left to read) and probably more than that but I can't recall all of them. Right now I'm reading A Game of Thrones.

No entirely, I skimmed through it.

Not always, after all I want play the game not read about it, but I know that it can be rather useful to read some books (and I don't mean skill books) because they can contain hints and tell secrets and sometimes just be very interesting read. I do always read the journals, because I love a apocalyptic log.

Don't even play Minecraft.

Nope.

I'm going to die one day XD - Join the OFFICIAL MISMO DISCORD SERVER

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-12 05:51:05

he does have a fair point though

no one ever comes to these threads for discussion. they just come here for the +1 to answer some questions no one cares about.

i understand why you add questions to these threads, an incentive to make people post and to give them the presumption of intellect because they read through your paragraphs about some malignant topic that is barely tangible.

i mean take a look at what chdonga posted

At 10/11/12 06:36 PM, Chdonga wrote:
I'm pretty sure he just makes that post for the +1 post count but he's just too lazy to answer the five questions.
Anyways...

either he's hilariously oblivious to how stupid he is or meta trolling like crazy

the threads don't promote discussion, unless you count answers to dumb questions as discussion. I FUCKING LOVE LISTS

it's like i took a wrong turn and ended up in quizilla. these threads are honestly worse than hitl-, honestly worse than the WHO IS UR FAVE VIDEO GAME CHARACTER or WHAT IS UR FAVIRTE GAMZ threads. at least they are actually primarily related to video games rather than some obscure topic that somehow involves video games which you decide is worthy of a wall of text.

this really is more akin to your news post or blogspot or livejournal or something but you dont post it there because no one is going to bother reading it, wait that'd make no difference to right now actually

hey

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-12 07:37:32

At 10/12/12 05:51 AM, Crink wrote: it's like i took a wrong turn and ended up in quizilla. these threads are honestly worse than hitl-, honestly worse than the WHO IS UR FAVE VIDEO GAME CHARACTER or WHAT IS UR FAVIRTE GAMZ threads. at least they are actually primarily related to video games rather than some obscure topic that somehow involves video games which you decide is worthy of a wall of text.

this really is more akin to your news post or blogspot or livejournal or something but you dont post it there because no one is going to bother reading it, wait that'd make no difference to right now actually

I actually agree with a lot with what Crink said. Now I mean writing these threads are admirable and I like that you actually put time into your OP, but adding questions at the end completely stifle any sort of discussion of the topic. If I could make a suggestion is to try to stick to one topic that can be discussed. If need be add a single question, one that can't just be answered with a yes or no, or a single sentence.

this thread is literally hitler

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-12 13:34:42

At 10/11/12 11:11 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 10/11/12 09:43 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Because I give 2 shits about 5 pointless questions in a thread that's already garbage to begin with... Yeah, that's it.
Forgive me then, why did you post in this thread then? You have contributed nothing to my topic at hand and just slandered it for no reason.

This kid can't be serious. Gratz, you managed to rustle my jimmies, because there's no way you'd genuinely say something to asinine.

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-14 14:44:00

At 10/12/12 05:51 AM, Crink wrote:
no one ever comes to these threads for discussion. they just come here for the +1 to answer some questions no one cares about.

You and Giy223 can go fuck yourselves. The Great One makes some of the most insightful post in the VG forums. So don't shitstorm on his threads just because you both have the attention span of a 3 year old.

At 10/12/12 07:37 AM, SineRider wrote:
I actually agree with a lot with what Crink said. Now I mean writing these threads are admirable and I like that you actually put time into your OP, but adding questions at the end completely stifle any sort of discussion of the topic. If I could make a suggestion is to try to stick to one topic that can be discussed. If need be add a single question, one that can't just be answered with a yes or no, or a single sentence.

He's already done this if you looked up enough of his threads and payed attention. All of his questions are related to the topic he's come up with minus the joke questions obviously. It's just some don't always get insightful answers, but there's always just enough who does, myself included.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-14 15:46:52

Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth and Assassins Creed: The Secret Crusade. The latter is mediocre, but the former isn't bad.

Personal favorites are White Fang, Call of the Wild, and the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Nope.

Sometimes, yes. My favorite is the cookbook from Skyrim.

No.

Butterfly in the skyyy...

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-14 15:47:51

At 10/11/12 05:27 PM, The-Great-One wrote: 1. What video game books have you read?

Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: Ghosts of Onyx.

The Hobbit, the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series, lots of Doctor Who books and countless random books I read when I was younger. Really should read more books though.

Nope.

Read one but I got a bit bored. I open all of them though since you get experience points in some skills.

I keep journals but not actual fiction books.

No, never heard of it. I'm British so I don't think it was ever aired here

god

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-14 16:11:34

At 10/11/12 05:27 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Yes, that is this book's real title. Pretty much a nice beginning to the history of video games. You get to learn the early beginnings of Mario, Link, King's Quest, Ultima, Bioshock, and more.

I've heard of All your Base are Belong to Us, but have heard a large number of reviews calling out inaccuracies about the book, even going as far as to say the only reference material used in writing it was Wikipedia.

The concept name for Crash Bandicoot was "Sonic's Ass". Didn't know that?

I did actually! It was a working title to describe how awkward action platformers will be in the move to 3D. I read all about the making of crash bandicoot on Andy Gavin's (series creator) blog site. It's a lengthy multi-part article, but contains many juicy details about the game's development and the game industry of the time. Complete with the input of most of the team involved in making the game.

The evolution and birth of popular game series is something I love reading up about, but I typically find answers to my questions with the help of the internet. I'll keep my eyes out for actual books though.

Questions of the Day

Not much on the games industry. As a teen I read a lot of novels based directly on video games though. S.D. Perry's Resident Evil books were my favorite. Very true to the games they're written of (RE0-3 plus two novels involving the characters but not based on any released game). Like the games, the books are written like a cheesy 90s horror flick and don't shirk on details from the games. I also still have some Halo novels written by multiple different authors. These kind of bored me though, as there were absolutely no character traits to be found among the cast. True to the games, yes, but although we got to learn all about the SPARTAN project, there was little else to be gained from the books rather than playing the games. Most recently I've read three Mass Effect novels by Drew Karpyshyn, but the characters and plot weren't anymore exciting than they are in the games, and isn't that the one advantage books have over games?

Can't care to remember every book I've read. As far as fiction I loved the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.

nope

Only played Skyrim, but never did I read a book all the way through in that game. Despite how short they were.

Never heard of that feature. Stopped playing Minecraft around the time the "full game" was released.

Nope. That's a reference that went over my head. Sorry.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-14 18:38:09

At 10/14/12 02:44 PM, II2none wrote:
At 10/12/12 05:51 AM, Crink wrote:
You and Giy223 can go fuck yourselves. The Great One makes some of the most insightful post in the VG forums. So don't shitstorm on his threads just because you both have the attention span of a 3 year old.

i'm sorry, what's that? why dont you take the great one's dick out of your mouth and you might be audible

All of his questions are related to the topic he's come up with minus the joke questions obviously. It's just some don't always get insightful answers, but there's always just enough who does, myself included.

it's nice to know you're modest as well as a super cool guy. the point is that the questions detract from the original point of the thread, which presumably is discussion, by just turning into:

-noob1: here's my answers
-noob2: here's my answers
-noob3(ii2none): FUCK i love video games DID ANYONE PLAY SONIC
-noob4: here's my answers

i mean if you and the great one are like building a nest egg together and you really want to have like an excel spreadsheet about ng vg forum user's specific likes/dislikes and opinions on the most trivial of topics, then by all means. it just that no one else wants that census. the only person who even tried with this thread was gustavos and that's just him tryharding because of the already apparent shitstorm

but i must digress. your stabs at my integrity by levelling my attention span to that of a three year old has really stifled my confidence and will to go on. perhaps i am just not as smart as you and the rest of the vg forum userbase because i do not appreciate this awe inspiring insight the great one shits out wherever he goes

i dont know

hey

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-14 20:33:06

At 10/14/12 06:38 PM, Crink wrote:

Don't take you seriously, I get it.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-15 16:36:30

At 10/14/12 08:33 PM, II2none wrote:
At 10/14/12 06:38 PM, Crink wrote:
Crink just completely shit in my face, and I'm trying to reconcile the few fucks that anyone has ever given for me.

We know, we know.

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-15 18:20:52

Questions of the Day

no

no

no

no

no

yes

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-16 17:01:16

Not really sure what this is supposed to mean...

Response to Take A Look! It's In A Book! 2012-10-20 16:35:03

1. Half-Life 2 Raising The Bar.
2. Watchmen by Alan Moore, Rebel without a Crew by Robert Rodriguez, IT by Stephen King, and Lost at Sea by Brian Lee O'Malley.
3. I read half of it, then I skipped most of it.
4. In Oblivion, yes. Skyrim, no.
5. Nope.
6. Yes.

Gamecenter ID: ALonelyWeeaboo

PSN: Lonely Weeaboo

XBL: noobasaurus253 Just mention you added me through Newgrounds