00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

FL Sudio or Ableton?

5,556 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 02:09:18

only leave a coment below about
who is better?
who is more firendly?
who is more easy to use and why

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 02:11:40

FL is Rapefunk Productions' first and only choice...

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 04:54:12

At 10/8/12 02:19 AM, EJR wrote: FL Studio master race.

If it's good enough for Rapefunk, it's good enough for me.

I don't know who this Rapefunk fellow is, but I still go with FL Studio. Though my opinion is a bit shallow do to never hearing of this Ableton... guess that explains why FLS won my vote....

If you don't evolve, you'll be devoured by those that do.

Feel free to leave feedback, I shall return the favor.

K3

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 04:57:02

At 10/8/12 02:09 AM, WilliamSSA wrote: only leave a coment below about
who is better?
who is more firendly?

It's entirely up to preference. Try out both and see which one you like best.

I personally like FL Studios better because it's easier for me to use and I get free updates.

lol fuk u

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 05:19:14

If you're new to production, I'd recommend you go with FL Studio. However, I use Ableton Live currently and could never go back to FL.

Reasons why I use Ableton:

1. Unlimited amount of effects per track.
2. Each effect/plugin is copy and pastable (with all settings).
3. Automation clips are way easier to implement than any other DAW I've used.
4. The interface is neat and tidy.

Reasons I would go with FL Studio if I was a beginner:

1. The pattern maker is very fun and easy to use.
2. The interface, even though not my favourite for workflow, looks pretty damn cool.
3. Many, many tutorials on it are available on the web, and most people on Newgrounds use it.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 08:10:01

who is better?
who is more firendly?

I'd go with FL. Ableton is good, but can be very difficult to get used to using. It's easy for people once they get the hang of it, but learning it is hard!

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 08:43:14

At 10/8/12 02:09 AM, WilliamSSA wrote: who is more firendly?

Ableton Live is my best friend! FL was mean to me once so we don't talk anymore.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 09:21:04

God there are too many threads like this.

Sequenced summons BFP!

lel

BBS Signature

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-08 13:14:42

You can complete the same thing with both, but to me (Since I'm derp and cant play instruments) FL has a more user friendly piano roll. They both are powerful tools and have different ups and downs with certain features, either way whatever you pick up and get used to will always be your favorite.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-09 19:48:15

who is better?
who is more firendly?

See which one works best for you, it's the only way ;)

FL Studio demo: http://www.image-line.com/downloads/flstudiodownload.html

Ableton Demo: http://www.ableton.com/downloads

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-09 23:17:52

Honestly FL studio is great and all, but when it comes to hardware integration, it really is behind the game.

You can setup your controller or interfaces to the T in Ableton, in FL studio you need to set up your equipment to automate everything every time you open a new project (save for generics such as piano keys and pitch bends). For example, if you were to get a 12- channel usb mixer, you need to set that up with the FL mixer every single time you start a project, a process that takes much longer than necessary when you consider programming not only faders, but kills, eq knobs, and you can't even program the use of soloing channels.

:/

BBS Signature

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-10 01:44:14

At 10/9/12 11:17 PM, Cross666 wrote: in FL studio you need to set up your equipment to automate everything every time you open a new project (save for generics such as piano keys and pitch bends). For example, if you were to get a 12- channel usb mixer, you need to set that up with the FL mixer every single time you start a project, a process that takes much longer than necessary when you consider programming not only faders, but kills, eq knobs

This is why you can save project templates. I have a bunch of different templates for use with my Bitstream. Just load up a template and everything is already linked how I need it to be. You'd still need to set stuff up like this at least once in Ableton, right?

and you can't even program the use of soloing channels.

Granted, that'd be handy for advanced users like us - especially since you can already program generator muting (Options > MIDI Settings, see below). It works via noteon/noteoff messages though afaik, so that's still kinda cumbersome for a lot of people. Still, I'd bet that for most users keyboard shortcuts are okay for this sort of thing - you can scroll through mixer channels with the right/left arrows and press S to solo channels, or just right click the mute/solo light.

FL Sudio or Ableton?

p.s. i am gay

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-10 01:48:12

At 10/10/12 01:44 AM, midimachine wrote: Just load up a template and everything is already linked how I need it to be. You'd still need to set stuff up like this at least once in Ableton, right?

I have Maschine and a BCF2000 MIDI controller. I just load them up in the preferences in Ableton, and they stay loaded forever.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-10 02:12:37

Typically, Ableton is better for creating and performing live than FL Studio.

I use FL Studio, though. I love it. It is far more user friendly with its interface. It is pretty good for general purpose EDM production.

Streaming, music making, etc.

I'm on Twitch, Bandcamp, Youtube, and Twitter

BBS Signature

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-10 04:41:33

I've tried a little bit of Ableton, but as for many, FL was my first love. The main things I love about FL is how easy it is to draw, how simple it is to record onto a pattern so I can tinker with it.
FL is extremely user friendly out of the two, and so, just from that, I would recommend FL. It's fun to experiment with other DAW's though. Once you get the basic idea of FL, I'd suggest checking out other DAW's.

Overall, all DAW's are capable of pretty much the same thing, the learning curve is the leading factor in the two.

Tl;dr FL gets my vote because of its simplicity.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-10 05:02:53

At 10/10/12 01:48 AM, The-iMortal wrote: I have Maschine and a BCF2000 MIDI controller. I just load them up in the preferences in Ableton, and they stay loaded forever.

Unless you mean simply enabling them as controllers (which FL remembers, too) then this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Like, is every fader and controller linked to parameters automatically? What if you need to change the mapping? What if i didnt want to buy the potion? What apout quests?
Maybe this is a question for another thread, heh. FWIW, FL has built-in mapping presets for a number of controllers, including the BCF2000.

p.s. i am gay

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-10 05:57:30

At 10/10/12 05:02 AM, midimachine wrote: Unless you mean simply enabling them as controllers (which FL remembers, too) then this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Like, is every fader and controller linked to parameters automatically?

Oh, my mistake.

How Ableton Live works is you press a knob/fader in a plugin, and then you can add that as a parameter in session view. You can change the order of these parameters, and the amount is unlimited. That's how you set the parameters for the BCF2000.

I personally love this because to use my BCF2000 in other DAW's (in emulation mode), the order of parameters is automatically set in its way. Ableton Live makes it so easy to set up what you need.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-12 15:24:30

I'll admit that Ableton does take a long time to learn, but I think it's worth it. If you'd like to see what it sounds like, everything on my profile was made using Ableton.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-12 18:08:44

At 10/12/12 03:24 PM, ReverendHerby wrote: I'll admit that Ableton does take a long time to learn, but I think it's worth it. If you'd like to see what it sounds like, everything on my profile was made using Ableton.

Ableton sounds like just like any other DAW - it's the producer's decisions that make it sound different.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-13 01:58:12

At 10/8/12 05:19 AM, The-iMortal wrote: Reasons why I use Ableton:

Easily possible in FL

Also easily possible in FL

Automation clips in FL can be used in the same fasion as ableton, as well as its own set of possibilities not in ableton. FL has been boasted for having great automation abilities and workflow for a while so this whole number 3 thing kind of just baffles me.

In both of them.

At 10/9/12 11:17 PM, Cross666 wrote: Honestly FL studio is great and all, but when it comes to hardware integration, it really is behind the game.
stuff

You are definitely doing it wrong if youre setting up temporary mappings in fl studio which is what it sounds like youre doing. You can easily set up permanent midi & other messaging(like mme for transport controls) for just about any midi controller I can think of. BCF2000 & Mackies controller are two common ones with all that work done along with a list of about 40 other controllers that image line has taken the time to specifically write in scripts for.

Just saying....sounds like you both have gripes against FL because you werent using it quite correctly.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-13 02:23:30

At 10/13/12 01:58 AM, Breed wrote: Just saying....sounds like you both have gripes against FL because you werent using it quite correctly.

Definitely possible... but I'm still staying with Live.

The video game forum may have console wars, but here in the audio forum, we have DAW wars!

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-13 14:16:58

At 10/8/12 08:43 AM, SineRider wrote:
At 10/8/12 02:09 AM, WilliamSSA wrote: who is more firendly?
Ableton Live is my best friend! FL was mean to me once so we don't talk anymore.

I feel like FL gets me more, ableton just wants to use me for my body. :(

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-15 07:11:49

Personally, I prefer Ableton Live. I like how easy and fast you can add automation, and I like the 2 different views. It's also, as the name suggests, awesome for live performance, whereas it is a bit easier to compose with FL Studio. FL Studio is easier to learn, and it is a lot cheaper, so I'd suggest FL Studio for every beginner. Get the demos of some other popular DAWs (Cubase, Reason and so on) and compare it after a few months of usage. If you still like FL the most, stick to it.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-15 08:17:03

Of course, one should keep in mind Ableton costs 3 times as much as FL Studio.

While real producers don't let money decide for them, a hobbyist who doesn't have infinite money should probably keep prices in mind.

Disclaimer: I'm biased because I try to spend as little money as possible on music because I believe monetary barriers to composing high quality music are bad for creative expression in the industry, but everyone else thinks I'm crazy.

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-15 13:05:32

At 10/8/12 05:19 AM, The-iMortal wrote: If you're new to production, I'd recommend you go with FL Studio. However, I use Ableton Live currently and could never go back to FL.

Reasons why I use Ableton:

Reasons I would go with FL Studio if I was a beginner:

1. The pattern maker is very fun and easy to use.
2. The interface, even though not my favourite for workflow, looks pretty damn cool.
3. Many, many tutorials on it are available on the web, and most people on Newgrounds use it.

For the record, fl studio also has unlimited amount of effects per track, and is organized a lot easier. you should google how routing works with the mixer in FL. Also, every effect/plugin is copy and pasteable (with all settings) as well, you just haven't explored enough to notice this i guess. It makes me sad to see noobies givin noobies advice :\

\|/

BBS Signature

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-15 18:39:35

I've been using FL Studio for over six years now and I've only recently made the switch to Pro Tools.

The only reason I made the switch however, is because I needed a more intuitive recording DAW. As most people that have tried recording in FL Studio might know, it's not exactly the most friendly for live instruments.

When I was producing EDM, on the other hand, I would never have thought to try another sequencer. FL Studio is simply the bee's knees due to it's simple interface, incomparable piano roll, step sequencer and easily navigable browser. Not to mention, it would only take about a week or two to feel comfortable whereas, even after six years with FL I couldn't find a damn thing in Ableton.

protoolsallthewaythoughitssuperawesomeandindustrystandardand hascoolinterfacesandmidistuffanditshdandallkindsofcoolstuffl ikebeingtheindustrystandarditsusedbyprettymucheveryrecording studiointheworldblahblahblahblah

BBS Signature

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-15 18:44:35

Ableton is better hands down. I used FL studio for 4 years, the only reason why is seems better is because its simple to use.

Ableton:
Better sampler system (Simpler,sampler,audio track sampler)
Better indepth control (Midi mapping,instrument racks, midi effect racks, audio effect racks)
Better automation system (You dont have to map automations in different track slots)
Better Midi note writing (No seperate patterns for your midi tracks- there is unlimited)
Better midi options (just use ableton, you will learn)
Better sample/ vst browser

The only thing thats better about fl is that it handles audio better, buffs it up so that its comfortable for your ears.
The process of making audio smooth in ableton is more painful but more rewarding.

My music

Its pretty decent

BBS Signature

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-15 21:46:05

At 10/15/12 06:39 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: protoolsallthewaythoughitssuperawesomeandindustrystandardand hascoolinterfacesandmidistuffanditshdandallkindsofcoolstuffl ikebeingtheindustrystandarditsusedbyprettymucheveryrecording studiointheworldblahblahblahblah

Mind... Blown... too much... persuasive... AAARRRGGGHHH

*googling protools*

Computer has no brain. DEAL WITH IT!

Stupidity is a dangerous and contagious disease. It can happen to you. It can happen to me

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-16 00:34:11

i would rather bash my dick with a dumbell than ever use protools again. it is literally the most convoluted, obfuscated and clumsily designed piece of software i've ever had the misfortune of using. all the same recording flexibility is offered by logic, cubase, reaper etc. and they're all cheaper and easier to use. that it happens to be the "industry standard" has absolutely no bearing on how it functions, and frankly it has no place in a discussion about good DAWs. fuck protools.

p.s. i am gay

Response to FL Sudio or Ableton? 2012-10-16 00:37:33

i don't mind if you'd rather use it though, we can still be pals :>

p.s. i am gay