00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VlSP3R just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Persona 4 2012-10-03 23:34:44

My friend lent me his PS2 and this game, has anybody played it? What are your thoughts?

I only just killed my first two shadows, and I am getting pretty interested in the storyline... I wish I had discovered these games back when they were new.
I've heard a lot about them and would like to get a discussion going since I will be spending quite a bit of time playing this game after the long weekend coming up!

Anybody have anything to say?

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 00:00:04

I just bought a PS2 so I could play it, funny timing.

Don't do the Yukiko's Castle on the last day! It's like 10 floors and I lost 4 hours of progress because I didn't know how fucking huge it would be and some super tough enemies murderised me on the last floor.

Do like 3 floors on the less busy days, because when you go back you can resume where you left off.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 00:00:28

At 10/3/12 11:52 PM, Escalus wrote: Persona 3 is better.

More or less, but I found Persona 4's lighter tone much better. I liked the storyline to Persona 3, even though I had never played it, but Persona 4 just felt more...Human to me.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 00:24:50

My friend is going to buy me a copy on the PSN store of the HD Persona 3, probably some time after I beat Persona 4.

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 00:26:07

At 10/4/12 12:00 AM, phrozonfire wrote: I just bought a PS2 so I could play it, funny timing.

Don't do the Yukiko's Castle on the last day! It's like 10 floors and I lost 4 hours of progress because I didn't know how fucking huge it would be and some super tough enemies murderised me on the last floor.

Do like 3 floors on the less busy days, because when you go back you can resume where you left off.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind!

I am job hunting a lot lately, and I am thinking that I will be buying a used PS2 soon enough, they are selling for about forty dollars at a store here, and they have a lot of really good games for sale too! I want the Fatal Frame games again, and a lot of the old RPG games on PS2, like Persona. They are quite expensive though, but gaming is worth it.

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 04:29:40

At 10/4/12 12:24 AM, Luke wrote:
My friend is going to buy me a copy on the PSN store of the HD Persona 3, probably some time after I beat Persona 4.

dont u need to play these in order?

Goth Forever

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 05:01:51

I like both equally.

Both shine in numerous aspects to be honest. If you play P3 after P4 you'll notice how polished P4 is, the gameplay and overall dungeon experience is just better. P4 even implemented fast travel which the original P3 and P3 FES lacked.

I think the question of which do you prefer really comes down to which story and characterization you like. The storyline in P3 is rich and deep and it makes you want to learn about what the hell is going on, nothing really makes much sense until later in the game when everything starts to come together gradually. Eventually coming down to a 'save the world, or we're doomed' scenario. P4 revolves around a string of murders, which to me, just wasn't as engrossing. I loved the majority of the characters (except for the moon arcana, fuck that guy) in P3, I got attached to many of them. There are many scenes that are down right touching and on the other hand, there are some hilarious ones too. P4 of course has its moments, but I think the character development is a bit lacking. I find it hard to explain. The story in P3 is driven by the characters, whereas in P4 the murder case sometimes takes away from the character development, not always, though that's probably just me being picky.

Even some of the stylistic choices I didn't enjoy, this is simply my preference of course. For example, P3 is the black sheep of the P3 games in terms of summoning a persona, it is the only persona game to my knowledge in which you shoot yourself to summon a persona, and I just really liked that concept. Then in P4 they went back to crushing tarot cards, stuff like that. Not game changing, it's just the setting and the direction that the game went in. P3 is pretty dark at times, while P4 is fairly vibrant in comparison.

Saying that, P4 rids a lot of the tedium P3 had. You can increase your stats (knowledge, dilligence, etc.) in a variety of ways, your options in P3 were a bit limited. Fast travel, instantly getting the persona compendium at the beginning of the game.

Not trying to put you off from playing Persona 4, just my opinion on the two games. P4 is still great and I've replayed it multiple times.

I can't really think of any tips that isn't stuff you'll figure out, but here's a couple of pointers. On rainy days, you can visit Aiya (the Chinese restaurant) and if you take the beef bowl challenge (3000 Yen) you'll earn a point in three stats, pretty useful, especially if you have no social links to talk to on a rainy day. The book store sells a magazine each month that increases various stats, completely worth it. The Tanaka home shopping channel is on a Sunday (you don't get access to this instantly) though when you get it, it's usually a good thing to pay attention to it. You can get various equipment or items that are usually better than the stuff you'll find from shadows/chests etc.

The first time you play P4 you won't be able to max all the social links, but you can replay the game on a NG+ and you continue with all your stats, money and persona compendium. Of course, this breaks the games flow and balance 'cause you'll probably own an incredibly high level persona that'll destroy the first couple of shadow bosses, but this allows you to go straight to the social links you missed and some other secrets. Persona 4 has a lot of stuff you'll miss out on the first time, it's probably best to look at various online guides after you finished to see what stuff you can complete and do.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 05:05:26

lol, and by Persona 3 being a black sheep I didn't mean in and of itself. Persona 3 is the black sheep when compared to other Persona games. 1, 2 and 4 in this case. I should probably proof read my shit before I post but it's late.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 08:11:39

At 10/4/12 04:29 AM, mayon8 wrote:
At 10/4/12 12:24 AM, Luke wrote:
dont u need to play these in order?

Just like final fantasy, there are new characters for each game.
Ao, I plan to play 4, but my ps2s, disc tray broke (the motors) and now im a sad panda.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-04 14:00:20

Who all's playing P4A around here?

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-05 10:27:08

Persona 4 is one of the best games I have played hope you like it :)

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-05 16:08:10

I kinda want to try this game too. Would it be bad going into the series on the fourth game, or is there not much in continuity?

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-05 16:40:58

At 10/5/12 04:08 PM, SineRider wrote: I kinda want to try this game too. Would it be bad going into the series on the fourth game, or is there not much in continuity?

Nope, go crazy bro! They're all self-contained storylines, like the Final Fantasy series (barring X-2 and XIII-2)

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Persona 4 2012-10-06 16:00:51

Best PS2 RPG since Dragon Quest 8.

Response to Persona 4 2018-12-23 22:35:36

Anyone getting PQ2 New cinema?

Response to Persona 4 2018-12-24 04:37:45

At 12/23/18 10:35 PM, solitonmedic wrote: Anyone getting PQ2 New cinema?

Way to necro an old thread like this, man... Ah well, I'm sure P2 will be a nice game indeed.

Response to Persona 4 2018-12-24 16:29:24

Sorta veteran of the persona series, you're gonna have alot of fun with these games. Just be smart in how you manage your time! You also dont have to play the games in order because each of them follows their own storyline and has their own cast of characters, though there are references to the previous games.

I highly suggest you play the other games after you finish with persona 4!

A little non spoilery hint: You can use that vending machine in front of that old ladies store whenever it rains, it can drop some goodies every now and again!

shitposting stops the pain

Response to Persona 4 2018-12-24 17:02:00

At 12/24/18 04:37 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: Way to necro an old thread like this, man... Ah well, I'm sure P2 will be a nice game indeed.

It was a necessary evil

also Yosuke dino

iu_516_4724625.jpg

At 12/24/18 04:29 PM, msd8115 wrote: A little non spoilery hint: You can use that vending machine in front of that old ladies store whenever it rains, it can drop some goodies every now and again!

Also do always eat the meaty special at Aiya's for a handsome boost toward most of your social stats

Response to Persona 4 2018-12-24 18:49:15

At 12/24/18 05:02 PM, solitonmedic wrote:
At 12/24/18 04:37 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: Way to necro an old thread like this, man... Ah well, I'm sure P2 will be a nice game indeed.
It was a necessary evil
also Yosuke dino

At 12/24/18 04:29 PM, msd8115 wrote: A little non spoilery hint: You can use that vending machine in front of that old ladies store whenever it rains, it can drop some goodies every now and again!
Also do always eat the meaty special at Aiya's for a handsome boost toward most of your social stats

Makin' me wanna replay the game

shitposting stops the pain