00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

deadenddraws just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Album Art?

878 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Album Art? 2012-10-01 11:43:25

Has anyone here ever designed an album cover (music)? I'm trying to find someone to help design my band's album/CD cover and figured the NG community would have some talent.

Willing to pay $.

On another note, for those who have done it before, what was the creative thinking behind designing the cover? Did you listen to the music and design from there? Or was it more of a "band told me what to do and I did it" kind of thing?

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 11:54:54

At 10/1/12 11:43 AM, theacronyms wrote: Has anyone here ever designed an album cover (music)? I'm trying to find someone to help design my band's album/CD cover and figured the NG community would have some talent.

Willing to pay $.

On another note, for those who have done it before, what was the creative thinking behind designing the cover? Did you listen to the music and design from there? Or was it more of a "band told me what to do and I did it" kind of thing?

Well, I guess the first few things you need to think about is; What kind of music does your band play, What kind of style are you looking for, and is there anything in particular that you want specifically for the cover.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 12:30:17

I'm willing to do it.

Have a look at my deviant art and tell me what you think in a PM.

http://kiwire.deviantart.com/

BBS Signature

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 12:31:58

At 10/1/12 11:43 AM, theacronyms wrote: On another note, for those who have done it before, what was the creative thinking behind designing the cover? Did you listen to the music and design from there? Or was it more of a "band told me what to do and I did it" kind of thing?

I have designed some album covers, usually I'm inspired by a combination of album-title, genre of music and musicians request. Neither one determines everything; the album title might give a clue for what to put on the cover, genre might point to a certain style/ambience of the design. So yeah basically those three questions kinsei asked would be the input of the creative process; best would be to give the artist some of the songs to listen to rather than just stating its genre.
When you say you're looking for someone to help you design the cover, does that mean the scenario I sketched above where the artist designs you a cover based on your input?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 12:41:19

At 10/1/12 11:54 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Well, I guess the first few things you need to think about is; What kind of music does your band play, What kind of style are you looking for, and is there anything in particular that you want specifically for the cover.

I'm going to post a few songs here to get a feel for the song. If anyone is considering the commission, I can email the entire album for a full listen and then we can discuss more.

Off-hand, I'm looking for something in the vein of old-Pink Floyd album covers. Something like what Storm Thorgerson does with his group of misfits. Something odd. Where the world around the subject is normal, but the subject is out of place.

Here's what I have on NG:

Album Art?

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 12:43:42

I posted that picture above to explain what I was looking for. The album is extremely eclectic.

I'm not an artist. I can't draw or design. My art's in music. So I'm really looking for someone else to design this thing. All I have is a style-idea, and an album title: Ratio

And cash of course. ;)

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 13:10:30

Ok, now with those latest clues, What kind of art direction are you looking at.
Uh.. Just a sec, let me clarify.
Considering your examples, most of them are photography based and manipulations. Is that they kind of cover you are looking for, or are you looking for a drawn one?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 13:16:23

At 10/1/12 01:10 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Ok, now with those latest clues, What kind of art direction are you looking at.
Uh.. Just a sec, let me clarify.
Considering your examples, most of them are photography based and manipulations. Is that they kind of cover you are looking for, or are you looking for a drawn one?

I appreciate your professionalism. It DOES NOT have to be photography-based. It could be drawn, painted, whatever. It just needs to catch the eye. I referenced the Pink Floyd because I want it to have a sense of "something's not right". I'll post an example. In "Wish You Were Here", you have two ordinary people shaking hands. Fine. But one of them is on fire. Something's wrong. It should be normal, but something's wrong.

Album Art?

Response to Album Art? 2012-10-01 13:46:49

At 10/1/12 01:16 PM, theacronyms wrote: I appreciate your professionalism. It DOES NOT have to be photography-based.

How about a photo with something odd drawn in? I'd be able to do you something like that (depending on how much you're willing to pay)

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature