00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Getting Your Music Heard

5,973 Views | 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-05 05:02:26

At 10/5/12 03:24 AM, EagleGuard wrote:
At 10/4/12 10:51 PM, Blackhole12 wrote:
At 10/2/12 07:21 PM, Computer112 wrote: Blackhole12's solution turns out to be the only best. I also want to add something to his solutions, is the comments will be rated by other users, takes save & blame on unjudged comment. The more positive points he/she getting, the higher chance he/she will get featured. Do this on statistic ratio.
Remember to use statistically accurate algorithms!
Blackhole12's idea combined with this formula might just create a really good system. Then again, it would require a massive amount of input from the audio community. Don't forget that Newgrounds' main attraction is the flash portal (yes, I still call it that), and that the audio community is relatively small. That said, if anything new were to be implemented, this should be it.

I, definitely, second that opinion. I think if NG implemented that algorithm it would make your best tracks stand out more. Especially, if your tracks have received a bit of positive and negative feedback.

If you don't evolve, you'll be devoured by those that do.

Feel free to leave feedback, I shall return the favor.

K3

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-05 05:41:14

I will be frustrated with my myself and my exposure until I can get away with only having a part time job.

Tbh you're probably gonna get one fan at a time unless something big happens, and while you're attracting fans, you may also lose some who grow bored of your music. But for something big to happen you're gonna have to get your music heard by as many people as you can.

I treat it like a job messaging popular youtube channels (was just featured on cry plays, huge boost in plays,) uploading everywhere and keeping things up to date, building a resume for applying to projects, asking other musicians to put an album together with me, etc.

I don't think any site could do anything so signifigant, that it will change that you have to put a lot of effort into building an audience, at least initially.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-05 13:08:05

I don't think any site could do anything so signifigant, that it will change that you have to put a lot of effort into building an audience, at least initially.

I have to agree on this.

It seems like getting your music heard is all about how much you put into building a fan base in the beginning. It's all about how you get your music out there, and if a website can perfect the way of marketing a product they might as well monopolize the world. Since successful marketing is the key to new business after all...

If you don't evolve, you'll be devoured by those that do.

Feel free to leave feedback, I shall return the favor.

K3

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-05 14:57:45

At 10/1/12 02:23 AM, Blackhole12 wrote: I'm going to chuck in an idea here taken from CTGMusic, where the people who wrote the most reviews would get their songs promoted on the front page, with the caveat that the reviews must be at least 200 words and if they aren't reasonably thoughtful and constructive they will be flagged by moderators and removed.

That sounds great, when the autor is not well known around here he gets very few people to listen to his songs and of those people who actually visit his songs 5% or less review, so the autor is stuck looking at the rating going up and down having no clue why, reviewing has to be rewarded that would be amazing!

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-11 01:37:02

Thanks everyone for your responses? So do you agree that your biggest concerns are community and feedback? A website should make it easy for everyone to be a part of the community in one way or another. It should also encourage users to give feedback to other users. Do you agree or disagree with these necessities? Is there anything you would add? Do you also think websites should make it as easy as possible for the user to be able to promote their own material and provide the tools to do so and put in that work? I don't think saying the current system if fine is a good answer. Progress is made by making improvements, not by just saying something's good enough.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-11 03:04:08

At 10/11/12 01:37 AM, bearskin wrote: Progress is made by making improvements, not by just saying something's good enough.

I feel inclined to point out that technical solutions to problems like this are rarely effective.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-11 04:25:39

At 10/11/12 01:37 AM, bearskin wrote: Thanks everyone for your responses? So do you agree that your biggest concerns are community and feedback? A website should make it easy for everyone to be a part of the community in one way or another. It should also encourage users to give feedback to other users. Do you agree or disagree with these necessities? Is there anything you would add? Do you also think websites should make it as easy as possible for the user to be able to promote their own material and provide the tools to do so and put in that work? I don't think saying the current system if fine is a good answer. Progress is made by making improvements, not by just saying something's good enough.

Yes, I highly agree with all those points. Feedback should be rewarding, which will then encourage people to write constructivereviews. The current system definitely needs some sort of overhaul in order to reach its full potential, in my opinion. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, though. The suggestions made in this thread are a good place to start, however, and should drastically improve the way things work around here.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-11 13:35:21

At 10/11/12 01:37 AM, bearskin wrote: Thanks everyone for your responses?

That was supposed to be a period not a question mark. I hope I didn't sound like an asshole.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-11 14:02:32

Meh. In all honesty I think all this portal needs is, *ahem* A RADIO. >:(
TOM. >:(

NG radio would be super nice. Or a random button, perhaps borrowing abit from the old portal with the multiple panels rather than linear panels. Something about that felt nicer.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-12 16:07:50

At 10/12/12 02:41 PM, Computer112 wrote: THIS PORTAL NEEDS TROPHY REWARD!!!!!!

Hear, hear.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-12 23:25:59

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1072042/274

REVIEW REQUEST CLUB (Try it out, it should help you improve) The only downside is that sometimes you may have to wait a week or two for reviews

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-13 13:35:53

At 10/12/12 05:17 PM, Computer112 wrote: Let's us all get along with each other and forget this ranking problem. Do we all agree?

yeah, i did suggest in a pm to fulp (dont remember wich one of the two) to perhaps make a radio stream that you could (obviously) activate/deactivate that would just randomly select uploaded tracks (+ skip function) so everyone might get a bit of notice.

But no reply yet.

also people without facebook/twitter etc have a hard time (me) :p just to say.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-17 19:52:51

You guys should check out signup.hipstring.me

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-17 20:37:43

YEARS ago you used to be able to send music to A*R's and they would actually listen to it and give you feedback. Now because of bs lawsuits they just chuck demos. Depending on what your aiming for I'll tell you the truth most of the people at the labels listening to your music are interns. The real A&R's don't listen unless it's someone they heard of or were introduced to by someone they know. half the game is getting to someone that can get your music to someone.

But just to get feed back really stuff like youtube is good people will always come by and not hesitate to be rude and tell the truth if it sucks. If it's good they'll listen and tell you. Problem is so many people make music now that "listen to my songs" is almosts like hearing "Free penis enlargement pills" on the net. Sometimes you just gotta get off the net and put your face on the crowd too and take that chance. Try to enter some competitions, find some cheap shows you can try to perform at. hand out some FREE demo's of yours. Do your foot work and pump out your music. You'll get feedback. If people see you take yourself seriously trust me they'll comment.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-21 16:11:21

Updated. What do you think of this concept: signup.hipstring.me

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-21 19:15:29

At 10/21/12 04:11 PM, bearskin wrote: Updated. What do you think of this concept: signup.hipstring.me

Frankly, I never heard of this one, so I doubt it's popular.

The best advice I can give, which is unreliable due to my own prescence still not being fully acknowledged after a year: networking. Newgrounds is a start, but you pretty much have to afford the time to advertise your work in as many well-known places as you can.

Python Blue - composer

http://www.python-blue.com/

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-22 04:12:52

At 10/21/12 04:11 PM, bearskin wrote: Updated. What do you think of this concept: signup.hipstring.me

Looks like a good start, though the concept is still too basic for me to be fully able to judge it. How are reviewers rewarded, for example? Or, in more general terms, how will the system work? I like the idea of having sub-ratings, but that's just one small improvement compared to the dozens we could have.

Also, hipstring is a really awkward-sounding name for an audio community.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-22 08:20:01

At 10/22/12 07:46 AM, Thief1337 wrote: Stuff

Very poetic and all, but how is that going to solve our problem? I can put as much love, emotion and whatnot into my music, but that's not going to solve anything when nobody listens to it in the first place. The problem here is not the production itself, but, as the topic title clearly states: 'getting your music heard'.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-22 09:43:27

At 10/22/12 08:43 AM, Thief1337 wrote: The will is stronger than the skill. If you contact the right people, your voice will be heard.

Which is basically the problem with music these days (if I may use populist terms). The Audio Portal is not just simply for sharing your music with the world, but is also a means to get constructive criticism from peers: people who make music themselves or are generally interested in your kind of music. It's not about getting more hits per se, but about everyone getting a fair chance to get some decent feedback. That's why improving the community is such an important factor, and why improving the Audio Portal can help to achieve that goal. I would gladly support the idea of an active community, if people were to put some effort in it themselves. It's time to change the free for all thinking into team based thinking.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-22 19:35:08

At 10/22/12 06:26 PM, Thief1337 wrote:If people seek for the same sound all the time, it certainly creates a limitation. They can't walk on a different landscape if they don't try to get out of the same, safe path they're following. You have to go into the deep forest and discover your landscapes through different exits, and that's not always the "safe way".

If you bash entire genres of electronic music as not being real music in your song descriptions, you sound like a giant hypocrite.

Response to Getting Your Music Heard 2012-10-22 21:26:08

At 10/22/12 07:56 PM, Thief1337 wrote: Haha. You fail to understand the distinction between originality and orthodoxy.

Then you should really make this clear when you are criticizing things.