00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BACKRUMS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Header

25,661 Views | 146 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 10:10:47

At 9/26/12 01:35 AM, ExtraLife wrote: In all seriousness though this is the direction that you want to be moving towards when it comes to redesigning Newgrounds for the handheld/mobile experience.

That is all stuff we're planning to address. A mobile nav shouldn't have ANY rollover states, everything should be one click. A page of content will likely be a single column of one submission per row, with a nice big click area.

One thing that I'm still a little unsure of is how we handle these defaults... For example if we just removed rollover states for mobile, the current NG layout would work pretty well on an iPad. So would people want to browse the same NG they do now, or would they want to be redirected to a mobile version that moves everything around. If we don't redirect and just give them a mobile link to click, will that just be an extra step that most people never complete... etc.

There's also the content issue - we can create filters to default an iPhone user to listings that only work on their phone. But what if that user just wants to check in on something that would have been filtered out - like to see if their Flash made the front page or how many views it has. They could toggle those filters to go to a normal view, but any time you give people toggles and filters like that, the majority of users never make use of them - so it all comes down to the default experience you offer people.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 10:12:41

At 9/26/12 06:30 AM, nconde25 wrote: There are missing features or broken features on the site since the redesign yet...

Aesthetic changes like this aren't really getting in the way of that end of the site.

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:04:50

At 9/26/12 10:38 AM, Amaranthus wrote: So, this is the new logo?
The shirts, stickers and such will get updated?

Will likely get some tuning before putting the hi-res version into print but eventually we'll move ahead!

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:30:40

At 9/26/12 11:09 AM, mandog wrote: I can barely notice it anymore Tom, make it more shiny or something , I mean just pump that bitch up, maybe make a GIF of some acid shit going through it.

Ok I think I solved it:

New Header

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:41:34

It's fine. Doesn't really bother me. I'm still more concerned about this use of the bright, irritating syrupy background. The Madness grey wall-art (due to its color) fit sooooo much better.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 11:53:45

I think it's sexy...

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 12:57:08

At 9/26/12 11:30 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/26/12 11:09 AM, mandog wrote: I can barely notice it anymore Tom, make it more shiny or something , I mean just pump that bitch up, maybe make a GIF of some acid shit going through it.
Ok I think I solved it:

Those better be animated.

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 13:15:05

I liked the big one, Newgrounds has started looking more professional all of a sudden! I want to old one back!

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 13:49:43

Ok I think I solved it:

You need to read your pms dude.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 13:55:06

this makes me angry

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 13:58:44

At 9/26/12 01:55 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: this makes me angry

:(

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 14:14:29

Ok I think I solved it:

Can I have a box I can tick to have this be a part of my daily Newgrounds experience?

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 14:30:13

I knew something felt odd about the page! :D Thank you for mentioning it.

As far as the logo look, many companies update their logos from time to time. Since I saw the tankman in a few animations, I like the new logo. However, the current tank seems to "disappear" on the page and is barely noticeable.

Perhaps move the user buttons to the right and then increase the logo size or move the logo in the middle (again, increase size).

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 14:38:35

God dammit guys, you're all doing it wrong!

New Header

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 15:03:44

Even though I like it, something bugs me about it. No, I like the cute tiny tank. I think it's because the "Everything by Everyone" slogan is gone completely. Thinking about it, if it's going to be tweaked, having the slogan underneath the Newgrounds name would make it too crowded, so maybe having it next to it would work.

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 15:27:44

At 9/26/12 11:50 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 9/25/12 05:52 PM, Evark wrote: [..] Overall, it makes NG much 'cuter' instead of bolder, IMO. If the old tank logo were there, even reduced in size, I think I'd actually really like it. Though maybe up-sizing the "NEWGROUNDS" part to be as tall as the tank would solve it for me?
This.

I like your thinking, pal. I miss the slogan, too, though. :( CHANGE IS SCARY

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 15:36:43

Put back the Prolblems of the Future Today slogan its much better than that everything by everyone shit.

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 16:12:47

I like it, its cute

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 16:31:49

I very much like! Very Crisp and clean looking, we're looking like a real bunch of gangsters now.

New Header

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 16:33:23

I think there should be an option in your profile settings to choose which header you want.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-26 21:58:20

Aww, the tank is SO adorable.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-27 02:34:18

At 9/26/12 10:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: So would people want to browse the same NG they do now, or would they want to be redirected to a mobile version that moves everything around.

My initial reaction would be to completely "overhaul" the current Newgrounds experience and make the layout responsive / fluid.

Check this site out for an example of what I mean. http://css-tricks.com/ - Play around with the width of the site. Note how things are dependent upon the width of your browser. The functionality of the site pretty much remains the same throughout all the widths. The main difference is the way the elements on the page are displayed; Designing a site like this is good because by doing so kills it three birds with one stone. The desktop, tablet, and mobile experience in one single design.

Thing is though, I'm just not quite sure if this idea would work for Newgrounds. There's a TON of different types of interactions. I mean, There are things one would realistically want to do based on what device their using. I highly doubt anyone would submit their art, song, game, or movie via their tablet or smart phone, right? So, the process of submitting content to NG would not necessarily be important to the handheld experience...unless creating music on tablets with audio programs became huge...or unless the Newgrounds Art Portal began accepting instagrammed filter'd butt farts. But, until than that's one less thing to worry about.

They could toggle those filters to go to a normal view, but any time you give people toggles and filters like that, the majority of users never make use of them - so it all comes down to the default experience you offer people.

Yeeeah, we must be very intuitive and perceptive about how the design makes and breaks the user's experience.

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-27 03:04:58

already use to it. :)

lel

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-27 19:57:10

Something like this would kind of cool.

New Header

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-27 23:02:39

In all seriousness,

There might be a way to deal with the mobile user issue. Perhaps you could have, like many other sites have, a welcome screen when a mobile user access the site. The user then can have an option to utilize the "mobile" version of Newgrounds with limited features and streamlined mobile interface or the "classic" newgrounds.com interface. Just an idea.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-28 19:31:22

i can see absolutely no difference

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to New Header 2012-09-28 19:44:37

I like the old newgrounds logo.

Super Mario sunshine is dumb.

BBS Signature