00:00
00:00

There And Back Again - Series Tales

672 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

One of my favorite series has to be the Resident Evil series. I love the survival horror elements, the bizarre creatures, the weapons, the characters, the stories, the music, and the designs each game has. However at the same time when looking at a series and its newer installments how should you judge them?

I mean each video game is its own game, the gameplay may be similar to its predecessor, but there is change to each one. The question is though, should you judge the game on its own merits or use the predecessor as a template that it would have to improve on or go a drastic step by completely rearranging the formula?

Resident Evil 4 changed the formula drastically, by changing the camera angle and having more action oriented gameplay than survival horror. It was something new and fresh... even though Resident Evil 3: Nemesis already gave us the more action oriented gameplay, but not from this angle.

Resident Evil 5 borrowed the gameplay from Resident Evil 4 and made it co-op, I would call it a single player game, but that would be giving credit to the partner AI, which deserves none! They changed their main characters around so much though that it became a really cheesy C-Action Movie and was extremely laughable. You know the voice acting from Resident Evil and Resident Evil: Survivor made me laugh my ass off, but the files and story from those games were still tense, with Resident Evil 5 this story is just laughably bad. The game is still fun to play though.

However if I were to grade it side-by-side with Resident Evil I would give it a low score, I mean this is the follow-up to Resident Evil 4, which had a laughable story and really makes you question these settings, but at least there was something tangent there -- a religious conspiracy. The past games had stories of survivors trying to live and survivors dying due to the virus and their turmoil of turning into these beasts or moments before being mauled by them.

Let's say though Resident Evil 5 was the only Resident Evil game that existed and none came before it. Well the story would still be highly laughable mainly because it takes itself so seriously when it just isn't, but as I said a C-Action Movie. By giving myself Resident Evil amnesia I can appreciate the charm that this game gives, but the partner AI I am confused about since Half-Life perfected it and I'm wondering what the fuck Capcom has been smoking lately, then again they can't even get a robot to fucking duck so there really is no hope here.

Still I could find it fun, this set-up reminds me of Smash TV in some ways with just endless enemies coming after you. With only you and your friend to take them all out, which if you're like me you always pick Sheva so you can Somersault kick people and Roundhouse kick people... that's right I'm Chuck Norris with a tight ass.

This is where I am at a standstill. A lot of video games in series tend to be judged with the other games in the series even though on their own they hold up. Which criteria is the more appropriate one. If it is a game that involves a cohesive storyline to intertwine characters then okay if there is some continuity issues then fine, but what if each game in turn has a different story that intertwines as it is told and keeps everything together, but then in turn becomes a different game? This is enough to make your fucking head spin round and round and have one of those ugly little bastards come flying out of it!

Whenever I see a new game come out in a series I ready myself for the onslaught of people bitching and moaning about the past incarnation. I have seen this with Call of Duty and The Elder Scrolls series, always jumping back to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Yeah you won't hear them talk about the first Call of Duty, Call of Duty II, or The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall though now will you?

Bioshock 2 decided to do something different and look what happened to it. It was judged side-by-side with Bioshock. Duke Nukem Forever went through development hell, it still came out, and it was shot down by being compared side-by-side with its past incarnations.

It seems nostalgia has a limit of how far back it can go, the first game picked up and then fuck the rest, it came before I heard of it so it doesn't matter. I think that comment alone makes out three hipsters trying to play Twister, but don't believe in colors.

All I know is that each video game is its own. When developers make a new game they try to do something different or add something new while still remaining fresh. It is a cruel double-edged sword that developers have to maneuver, the only problem is once they get it right and give the sword to gamers, they start flailing it around cutting themselves and then bitch at the developer that they didn't make the sword right... even though many developers do make the sword right.

Just because this sword looks a bit similar to the last one doesn't always mean you can wield it the same way and just because it looks different doesn't mean you already know how to wield it and can just bypass or say it fucking sucks.

Questions of the Day
1. Do you judge video games individually or compare them with their predecessors and why?
2. What is your favorite video game series and why?
3. What is your favorite game from the series and why?
4. What series do you think needs to take a break and why?
5. What series do you think needs to just die and why?
6. What series do you think needs to come back and why?
7. Favorite gun from a First-Person Shooter?

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-23 23:25:01

At 9/23/12 09:33 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day
1. Do you judge video games individually or compare them with their predecessors and why?

I usually judge them individually, mainly because if you try to judge it based on its predecessors, I feel like youre just setting yourself up to get let down

Kirby, because of his ability and because he is so cute

Kirby 64 The Crystal Shards, because you can mix/fuse abilities for entirely new ones

Pokemon, maybe. Maybe start making more(what I like to call)side games like Pokemon Conquest. Stop making games in the original series for a bit, and start making more side games, and then maybe come back to the original after awhile.

The madden games. Its the same game over and over. Just release one that has all the features from the previous games and be done with it once and for all

Dragon Warrior Monsters, a takeoff from the Dragon Quest series. It only had 2 games in the series, but they were so good! There needs to be more made

Hmm, I dont play first person shooters all that often....So I guess i'll say....The Needler from Halo, just because it looks cool

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-23 23:48:03

At 9/23/12 09:33 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

I tend to judge every game individually. Seeing that any good game could have a terrible sequel, it seems to be a logical thinking path to take.

Personally I would have to say the Force Unleashed series. Though there are only two currently, it has a nice story line, adds to the Star Wars timeline well, and gives more insight into the thought process of Darth Vader between episodes III and IV.

Force Unleashed II for sure. It takes on a much more dark and intimidating tone than the original, and it puts the player's focus on finding Darth Vader to discover the truth of who, and what he is. Darth Vader is one of my favorite video game villains, and he is so cool and intimidating in this game.

Halo. I've seen far too much of this game to care for much more of it. It would be nice to have a long break before they make another one.

Gears of War. The game has no appeal aside from the mass amounts of gore, and crappy story line which is usually filled with over-done drama.

I know it hasn't actually ended yet, but the Half-Life series has already taken enough of a break, and it would be nice to see Valve continue their best game yet. Portal and Team Fortress 2 were and are both alright, but it would still be nice to see that golden series continue.

Heavy's Mini-Gun from Team Fortress 2. The gun is just so comically overpowered that I find it hilarious.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [I don't actually have a personality]

BBS Signature

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-24 00:15:01

At 9/23/12 09:33 PM, The-Great-One wrote:

:: Questions of the Day

A little of both, if the title in question tries to be unique to it's series I will judge it on it's own merits, but if it tried to be more of the same i will compare it to previous titles.

10 years ago, Final Fantasy. Today, Souls series.

Dark Souls. A game made with passion, every little detail is brilliantly laid out for the player to discover. From item location, to level design feeling cohesive within the game world and the ambiguous story elements that leave your mind to fill in the gaps. the atmosphere and tension in exploring and the sense of reward upon clearing a difficult area. The insane depth in the combat mechanics and the extremely high skill ceiling. The entire game is more than such, it is an experience. One I would rival alongside masterpieces such as Ico or Chrono Trigger.

Far too many to list. old franchises I use to love seem to be missing and fps and shovelware seems to be in.

Again, so many to list. Just to give you an answer that is not obvious though, Super Mario Bros. I would like Nintendo to be creative and offer more original titles than simply rehash the same series every generation.

Breath of Fire. Chrono. Onimusha.

They're great games lol No complicated answer required.

N/A

BBS Signature

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-24 00:18:05

At 9/24/12 12:15 AM, FallenMartyr wrote:
N/A

Actually i take this back. The freezing arm cannon in Metroid Prime was good fun.

BBS Signature

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-24 00:34:19

Sometimes. If its radically different then the predecessor, Ill compare it to the previous series.. The unradical like sequel would be reviewed on it's own

hard to say, but Sly Cooper has been a huge favorite. Its simple stealth mechanics dont intimidate me at al

sly 3, because playable carmalita, panda king, and dimitri

final fantasy because tetsuya noumura cant get the series into the right direction.

Motherfucking Splinter Cell. No, a break isn't going to save this damned series. They had a break for FOUR YEARS between 2006 and 2010, and they still can't get their shit together.

Wizardry,I really love dungeon crawlers and i felt wizardry always did things right. I will never acknowledge the anime psn games ever.

crossbows

BBS Signature

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-24 04:32:46

I usually compare sequels to their predecessors because it's a good way to see what's been added and what's been improved (or not.)

Dead Rising. I just love the idea of beating zombies to death with whatever's in my hand at the moment.

Dead Rising (the original). I found it was perfect, most would disagree but I find myself loving every second of play.

God of War. Not the series itself, but Sony sticking Kratos in every other game.

What needs to die? Call of Battle 17: Operation fight the russians. Because it's gotten generic.

Age of Empires. Because RTS are a dying breed.

Cattleman revolver.

Behold, a miracle!

All Nazis get the Blood Eagle, no exceptions.

BBS Signature

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-25 08:12:46

At 9/23/12 10:06 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: I usually compare games with their predecessors and successors. If the games are similar, then what's the point of judging them individually.

Well each game is different in its own way. If you judge it side-by-side with its predecessors and successors then you're gonna be fucked. Perhaps you can give me an example of a series when judged this way can be better and can be worse.

Response to There And Back Again - Series Tales 2012-09-25 15:51:54

I definitely judge games by what the previous games in the series was like. Fable 3, for example, maybe an a somewhat decent game if it wasn't in the Fable series. It was awful in comparison to the first two.

I do it because I want it to be like the previous game(s), but better, or at least of equal quality.

Probably the Hitman series. It's a really fun series that hasn't become worse with each new game. So far it's actually become better with each new game. Absolution doesn't look very good so far though, but it could turn out to be the best yet.

My second favourite is the Fable series. The first two games were fantastic. The third is awful and I expect Journey will be worse than it.

Blood Money is almost always considered the best in the series, and I agree. I'm not sure what exactly it is that makes it better than the previous games. I think it's honestly that it's overall easier. The older Hitman games had missions that required precise timing to do stuff and really long levels that took ages to get through. Most of the missions on Hitman are short and can be completed in multiple ways which don't require you do something at a precise time to win.

Call of Duty, for obvious reasons.

The Fable series just needs to stop. I think the series is over now, considering Peter Molyneux left Lionhead.. but they may actually continue the series, maybe even make it better. If Lionhead is even going to continue making games..

I think the Fable series had a lot of potential. It really sucks that they completely ruined the series.

I'd like for the Tony Hawk series to come back and stop completely ruining the games by trying to make them realistic. The Tony Hawk format doesn't work with realism, yet they kept trying to make it more and more realistic. I want to be able to carry on a combat for ten minutes straight. I don't think that's possible in Tony Hawk project 8 or proving grounds, and it's definitely not possible in Ride.

I'm not really an FPS fan. I get bored of FPS games really quickly most of the time. The only series that didn't happen to me for is Halo, so I'm going to say my favourite weapon from it.. Which is a tie between the battle rifle and the sniper rifle, especially the Halo Reach versions of them.