00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Kirby's 20th Anniversary!

2,982 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 04:37:17

So a few days ago, Kirby's 20th anniversary happened! A special edition game pack was released on the 16th, which included a disc that had 6 classic Kirby games, including Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby's Adventure, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dreamland 3, and Kirby 64: Crystal Shards!
Also included on the disc was a history of everything Kirby, starting in 1992, and ending in 2012, and had things like the dates on which every game was released, historical things that happened that year, and more.
The last thing included on the disc were 7 new Challenge stages, which, if you played Kirby Return to Dreamland, you know what those are. For those of you who dont, its pretty much a course that you get through using only a single ability.
Beside the disc were 2 more things, a CD with 45 songs on it from all the different Kirby games, and a booklet showcasing concept art and info and such for all the different Kirby games!
Man, 20 years of Kirby, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed all the Kirby games ive played, and I hope Kirby continues being a joy in the years to come!
What are everyone else's thoughts about this?

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 04:38:17

Gah, forgot to include the picture!!!

Kirby's 20th Anniversary!

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 05:36:22

At 9/20/12 04:38 AM, Lionelion wrote: Gah, forgot to include the picture!!!

Is the Kirby CD half sound effects like the Mario anniversary CD?

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 09:29:02

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 10:56:59

At 9/20/12 05:36 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:

No it was all music as far as I could tell. Some were shorter than others though obviously.

Anyway I like this I got it the first day it came out. Sadly I already own 4 of the 6 games on wii/3ds virtual consoles and kirby super star I already have on the DS in ultra form and also on the wii virtual console(club nintendo free gift using coins)

So really the only thing I didn't have already was kirby's dreamland 2 but I still bought it anyway because it was a good collection to have.

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 11:51:42

It looks like the only game to look forward to this year.

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 14:13:33

I want this. I still haven't gotten the new Kirby and I want that as well.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 18:43:31

At 9/20/12 05:36 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:

Nah, it was all music. There were 3 special remixes included at the end however

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 23:06:55

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-20 23:23:10

At 9/20/12 11:06 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Hey, Lionelion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiBWXMLkqKQ&feature=player_em bedded

Oh wow, thats one awesome remix, thanks for sharing that!

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-21 01:22:49

Wow, Kirby got better treatment than both Link and Mario when it came to his anniversary. All his big games in one package. While Mario just got a re-release of Super Mario All-Stars and Link... got a sequel.

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-21 17:54:43

At 9/21/12 01:22 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Wow, Kirby got better treatment than both Link and Mario when it came to his anniversary. All his big games in one package. While Mario just got a re-release of Super Mario All-Stars and Link... got a sequel.

I know. Pretty sweet, isnt it?

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-21 18:13:05

At 9/20/12 06:43 PM, Lionelion wrote: Nah, it was all music. There were 3 special remixes included at the end however

That's good. At least it isn't a hastily thrown together CD with 1 song from each main game and 10 sound effects. I probably will get this. At least with this, it isn't a game compilation already released 15 years ago.

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-21 19:45:56

Recently decided to replay Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA. Most of you are probably aware that particular game is a remake of Kirby's Adventure for the NES, which I have fond memories of playing. To be perfectly honest I forgot how good Kirby games are; if you haven't in a while, do yourself a favor and replay a Kirby game.

Signature...Ha...

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-21 21:10:01

I want to buy the Dream Collection, but I have all six of the games. The Challenges are just from Return to Dreamland, which I also have. I want the CD and Artbook though. What should I do?

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-22 01:52:09

At 9/21/12 09:10 PM, Chdonga wrote: I want to buy the Dream Collection, but I have all six of the games. The Challenges are just from Return to Dreamland, which I also have. I want the CD and Artbook though. What should I do?

Buy it.

You will have all 6 games on 1 CD so you won't have to play the games on a tiny gameboy screen or get out your NES and SNES or N64 to play the games. That one CD will carry over to the Wii U also if you get that as well.

The challenge stages are all new (From what what I heard anyway haven't had a chance to try it) and are not the same ones from return to dreamland.

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-22 06:32:26

At 9/22/12 01:52 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:
At 9/21/12 09:10 PM, Chdonga wrote: I want to buy the Dream Collection, but I have all six of the games. The Challenges are just from Return to Dreamland, which I also have. I want the CD and Artbook though. What should I do?
Buy it.

Definitely

You will have all 6 games on 1 CD so you won't have to play the games on a tiny gameboy screen or get out your NES and SNES or N64 to play the games. That one CD will carry over to the Wii U also if you get that as well.

This. This so much

The challenge stages are all new (From what what I heard anyway haven't had a chance to try it) and are not the same ones from return to dreamland.

Yes, youre correct, they are all new stages, plus, one of them is an ability that you cant find in RTD: Smash ability! A special challenge only for this game!

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-22 23:14:52

At 9/22/12 07:07 AM, TheCrimsonWidow wrote: I hate to be the generic girl right now, but kirby is so fucking cute that I want him as a pillow. Thank god he has gotten good treatment on his birthday, or I would have to yell at nintendo..... again.

Im pretty sure theyve created some Kirby plushies that you could use as a pillow if you really wanted. As for treatment, I agree, if Kirby didnt get good treatment, I wouldve been quite sad/mad

20th comment :3

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-23 14:45:01

Just picked up the game today. I'm really liking the presentation of it all. I beat Kirby's Deamland in about 45 minutes, though. That game is Hella easy and kinda boring without the ability to take away enemies's powers. Can't wait to ply through the rest of the games, though.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-23 19:19:12

At 9/21/12 11:15 PM, Shade wrote: Kirby is the original round, pink... thing.

Jigglypuff ain't got shit on Kirby.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Anyway, I probably WON'T be getting this. I already have Dreamland 1 and 3 on Virtual Consoles, Super Star Ultra for the DS (I replaced the DS with the 3DS), and I will eventually get Adventure and 64 on my Wii. Dreamland 2 will come out eventually for the 3DS VC, and I will probably buy that.

The challenge stages and the other bonus content won't convince me to buy that package. Sorry.

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-23 20:26:06

That's actually a really good purchase. If I owned a Wii I would definitely get it.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-23 23:13:27

At 9/23/12 07:19 PM, Th-e wrote:
At 9/21/12 11:15 PM, Shade wrote: Kirby is the original round, pink... thing.

Jigglypuff ain't got shit on Kirby.
I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Obviously fake, Kirby was the first pink puff, and Jigglypuff is just an obvious copy of him
Plus, Jigglypuff mustve had a handicap

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-25 21:36:44

At 9/23/12 02:45 PM, ZJ wrote: Just picked up the game today. I'm really liking the presentation of it all. I beat Kirby's Deamland in about 45 minutes, though. That game is Hella easy and kinda boring without the ability to take away enemies's powers. Can't wait to ply through the rest of the games, though.

Took on Kirby's Dreamland 2 today. First time I've played it since I was a little kid in the 90s. It's a lot better than the first one. More levels, animal partners, and the addition of the copy abilities make this one heck of a Game Boy game. Loving every bit of it.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-09-27 16:29:54

Jigglypuff sucks.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-10-05 19:41:39

Watched all three episodes of that Kirby: Right Back at Ya! TV show that's included on the collection. Pretty funny stuff. I wonder why this didn't last as long as Pokemon did...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-10-05 20:13:55

At 10/5/12 07:41 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched all three episodes of that Kirby: Right Back at Ya! TV show that's included on the collection. Pretty funny stuff. I wonder why this didn't last as long as Pokemon did...

It lasted for 100 shows, even had an hour(or 90 min, i forget which)ending episode too.
However, I too am confused as to why it didnt last longer, looked very well done, and from what I can tell, was pretty popular too

Response to Kirby's 20th Anniversary! 2012-10-06 17:42:11

At 10/5/12 08:13 PM, Lionelion wrote:
At 10/5/12 07:41 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched all three episodes of that Kirby: Right Back at Ya! TV show that's included on the collection. Pretty funny stuff. I wonder why this didn't last as long as Pokemon did...
It lasted for 100 shows, even had an hour(or 90 min, i forget which)ending episode too.
However, I too am confused as to why it didnt last longer, looked very well done, and from what I can tell, was pretty popular too

Yeah I loved watching it when I was a kid a lot more than pokemon to be honest it should have lasted longer if you ask me :(