00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Music to listen to while writing?

791 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-20 01:36:41

What is your favorite song to listen to when writing novels or poems or whatever? I prefer anything classical, but right now I have "green bird" from cowboy bebop playing, anyone have an recommendations? Preferably piano and violin heavy.

If anyone wants an invite to a site that gives you free stuff I got's it:

http://superpoints.com/refer/darkfo x777

BBS Signature

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-20 01:42:13

Pink Floyd, "Atom Heart Mother."

The song features an orchestra but also blends in Blues (C bebop) and some Prog Rock. It is cacophonous and hard to digest, and also rather long (26 minutes), but it is an awesome track. Make sure you turn it up.

Giving out writing reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-20 05:08:06

It depends on what I'm writing, to be honest. Sometimes, I just skip through swathes on shuffle, until I find something befitting. If I'm doing fast paced stuff, I choose hard rock / metal, but if I'm after calming stuff, then I've got other genres, that suit better. Some classical, some country, perhaps even a bit of ska.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-20 09:08:41

I listen to anything lyric-less. So classical, movie soundtracks and electronica. I listen to whatever corresponds with the emotion I'm trying to convey. Action sequences require something dramatic, like a requiem (along the lines of songs like O Fortuna). One of my favorite contemporary songs is the Red Cape Tango. Aside from Michael Daugherty being an utter genius, the drama of the piece is perfect for face offs. If you're not familiar, it's from the Metropolis Symphony and is about Superman's face off with Doomsday; simply amazing.

Sorry, I digress. In my experience the best type of music to listen to while writing is music that is not only emotionally charged, but also lyric-less. I emphasize it being lyric-less because the words throw me off. I have a harder time blocking the music out when I need to, and isolating a certain emotion or thought, when someone is singing or rapping. Sometimes the words creep in and I type it out, disrupting my flow. Latin, on the other hand, is okay, because it's just noise to me.

Duel of the Fates is also another recommendation for dramatic music. But, I mean, duh right?

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-24 16:55:49

Well, in my case, mostly Mago de Oz helps me a lot... they have great lyrics

Anyway, i try to find music that matches the kind of style i want it to have...

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-27 10:09:58

Satellite Stories - Kid's aren't safe in the metro

BBS Signature

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-28 11:24:48

I just put on YouTube playlists like smash bros playlists...
But idk I usually just end up watching YouTube poops instead! XD

I'm not high, im just on cafine, adrenaline rush, and/or have a "rocket" in my pocket!

BBS Signature

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-29 19:38:46

i usually try to have as little noise around me as possible when writing music distracts me

BBS Signature

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-09-30 18:18:27

Alquin - The dance
Infected Mushroom - Bust A Move (Infected Remix)
Infected Mushroom - The Gathering
Syphonmax - 3 Hours To Midnight*
System F - Solstice

*Also found on the audio portal.

The dance is a '70s song from the Dutch group Alquin, 13 minutes of awesomeness;
IM - Bust a move and IM - The gathering are Psytrance songs, if you're into that;
Syphonmax - 3hrs to midnight is trance, my personal favourite;
System F - Solstice is a strong, energetic song, good for fights, IMO.

Enjoy your writing.

Response to Music to listen to while writing? 2012-10-02 10:31:20

I like Apocalyptica and other classical/metal mixes. But really anything without words is good for me. I sometimes listen to death metal while I write because the words are unintelligible.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!