00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheArmoredAvian just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

In Need Some Voice Acting Advice

1,078 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

In Need Some Voice Acting Advice 2012-09-19 22:34:17

Hello Newgrounds, particularly voice actors. I have a question for you.
Are you ever just not able to think of anything to say when recording a voice reel? I'm working towards being a VA, but I can hardly find time to record a voice reel. In addition to this, I'm rarely satisfied with the results and I can't ever think of what to say. Seriously. I'm clueless as to what I should say and need some advice on this.

Also, part of the reason I can hardly find time to record (other than trying to juggle school and work around) is because I can't do it with other people in the house. I'm underage, so yes, I still live with my mom. It's one of those things where you can't shit with someone in the same restroom as you. It's just weird. Anybody else like this?

@metraff @NG_Artists Support Newgrounds Classifieds: commission animation

"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

Response to In Need Some Voice Acting Advice 2012-09-20 01:27:34

I never actually made a voice reel. I got myself out there by PMing every artist I could find, simply offering my services. Pretty soon a few contacted me. I got a lot of front pages. Then more and more PMs were sent. Personally, if your going to make a reel like a pro, I say write a SCRIPT before making a reel.

Also, you can just compile together nonsenical gibberish with interesting and funny voices.

Response to In Need Some Voice Acting Advice 2012-09-20 07:48:20

These days when there are more and more aspiring VAs about on NG, having a good demo can be quite handy. Producers may be curious to hear where someone's at as an actor, and what their recording quality sounds like.

It's indeed best to write and plan out a demo before recording it. If you're having trouble writing your own material, I advise taking likes from books or comics, maybe tweaking them somewhat if need be.

twitter.com/DevenOClock

Casting director, semi-retired from online voice acting. Sorry folks! You can still hear me in TOME, Reincarnation, and Wonders of the Universe!

BBS Signature

Response to In Need Some Voice Acting Advice 2012-09-20 08:06:16

I'm no voice actor but I've heard and reviewed quite a few voice acting reels in the past, so I can give my advice.

At 9/19/12 10:34 PM, 3Flay wrote: Are you ever just not able to think of anything to say when recording a voice reel?

Just throw in random stuff dude. It doesn't need to be top-quality script material, or make sense with each other. Find what words and word combinations fit best with the voice you're doing. So for instance, if you're doing an imitation of Mario, the obvious one would be "It'sa meee. Maaaario!" or something. Of course you can always be more creative than that, and you'll have to be if you're doing voices which aren't necessarily imitations of anything/anyone, but hey you have to start from somewhere.

Check this out, by the way. It's a good example of where entirely random phrases, even if some may be stereotypical/generic, work well at showcasing the voice you're doing.

Also, part of the reason I can hardly find time to record (other than trying to juggle school and work around) is because I can't do it with other people in the house. I'm underage, so yes, I still live with my mom. It's one of those things where you can't shit with someone in the same restroom as you. It's just weird. Anybody else like this?

A friend of mine who voice acts is exactly like that, so you're not the only one.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to In Need Some Voice Acting Advice 2012-09-20 17:55:25

There's some helpful advice in this bread. Thanks guys, I'm feeling better about it already!

@metraff @NG_Artists Support Newgrounds Classifieds: commission animation

"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine