00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voice Acting Contest 9

22,088 Views | 185 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 16:44:50

I got called in to cover a closing shift at work today, so there's no way I'll get this finished in time. Bummer, man.

Guess that's what I get for procrastinating. :v

Butts

Butts

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 18:19:16

I've been trying to update my entry, but the NG Audio Player keeps on playing back the original version, not the updated version. I uploaded the new version on the Projects page, I published the changes, and the file info on the Audio's page even shows how long the new version is, but it just isn't playing the new and improved model. It's maddening, I tells ya! Maddening!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 18:59:41

At 10/5/12 04:44 PM, Apatheria wrote: I got called in to cover a closing shift at work today, so there's no way I'll get this finished in time. Bummer, man.

Guess that's what I get for procrastinating. :v

Oh well, yeh I procrastinate a lot too so I feel ya there. Maybe next time you can get in on the fun!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 19:32:47

At 10/5/12 06:19 PM, Ragemar wrote: I've been trying to update my entry, but the NG Audio Player keeps on playing back the original version, not the updated version. I uploaded the new version on the Projects page, I published the changes, and the file info on the Audio's page even shows how long the new version is, but it just isn't playing the new and improved model. It's maddening, I tells ya! Maddening!

We'll get it all figure out. I responded to your PM. Judges, I'll send you guys a PM once the contest closes with reminders on what needs to be done and all that.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 20:29:35

At 10/5/12 06:19 PM, Ragemar wrote: I've been trying to update my entry, but the NG Audio Player keeps on playing back the original version, not the updated version. I uploaded the new version on the Projects page, I published the changes, and the file info on the Audio's page even shows how long the new version is, but it just isn't playing the new and improved model. It's maddening, I tells ya! Maddening!

It takes about 20 mins to an hour for the file to update!
So don't worry, it will change!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 21:00:52

3 hours!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 21:33:43

Okay, I've been trying to upload my submission to the audio portal for well over an hour now, but it keeps telling me, "This doesn't appear to be a valid .mp3 file."

It's about 3mb and I've confirmed that the sample rate is 44.1 khz, as it's supposed to be, but it still won't let me submit. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 22:02:42

My apologizes if this is last minute, but here's my entry for the contest. I hope it's decent.

Hoarder Cleaning

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 22:42:30

Nevermind. Forget I said anything. I figured out the problem and got my submission in. :)

Welcome to Double T Retail is the title. Feel free to give it a listen!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 23:12:00

Added the 2 of you to the list! Approx 45 min left! Come on peeps!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-05 23:37:46

At 10/5/12 08:29 PM, Ultraconsole wrote: It takes about 20 mins to an hour for the file to update!
So don't worry, it will change!

The Audio player is playing the updated version, now. So, you were right, Ultraconsole. My worrying was for naught. And now, I shall wipe my brow in relief... Ahhh...

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 01:22:25

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the contest deadline has come and passed! Thank you all for your awesome entries! One thing that I'm really excited about is the fact that I've never been acquainted with any of you (except Adam due to past contests). That means lots of new voices either ready to be used by producers or ones that can finally get their names out there and take any critiques they get to get that much better! And speaking of critiques...

Please keep in mind that all of the judges are taking time out of our lives to critique your entries. Please be respectful of our decisions and opinions. Our critiques are meant to be constructive, not destructive. If you have questions about any critiques you end up getting, feel free to PM me to discuss. On the other end, we promise to be fair and do our best to give you tips on how to be better the next time around. We all want to see you guys grow. Also, feel free to give you own insight on other entries while you're waiting for the scores. Again, be respectful and constructive. Keep flaming and trolling out of it.

The scores should be in by 10/26/12 11:59pm EST. If a judge does not send their complete set of scores to me by then, their scores will not be included at all. During that time, you can again, review your peers' entries, talk about random or non-random crap in this thread (usually is a good time), and anything else you'd like to talk to the other judges, contestants or me about. :)

JUDGES! START YOUR HEADPHONES!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 01:24:13

Here is the final list!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 02:07:58

Glad to participate in this as my introduction to the NG community.

A lot of amazing talent up there!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 04:55:56

Suck, had a death in the family totally for got about it today. Its okay though no matter how good we (me and the many voices inside of me) are I am a mixing noob so I doubt I could have placed with out any coolio sfx to enhance the story. Maybe next time.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 11:12:42

At 10/6/12 01:22 AM, JaShinYa wrote: JUDGES! START YOUR HEADPHONES!

If my headphones had an ignition switch, I'd be terrified. D:

Good thing I'm not a judge.

Good luck, everyone!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 16:29:16

At 10/6/12 01:22 AM, JaShinYa wrote:
Please keep in mind that all of the judges are taking time out of our lives to critique your entries. Please be respectful of our decisions and opinions. Our critiques are meant to be constructive, not destructive. If you have questions about any critiques you end up getting, feel free to PM me to discuss. On the other end, we promise to be fair and do our best to give you tips on how to be better the next time around. We all want to see you guys grow. Also, feel free to give you own insight on other entries while you're waiting for the scores. Again, be respectful and constructive. Keep flaming and trolling out of it.

heck the reason I entered wasn't to win ,it was to get critique and tips from people who know their shit, I will however be shitting bricks the hours before they announce the winner... scratch that, i'm shitting bricks already

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 16:31:43

At 10/6/12 11:12 AM, ecopper12 wrote:

Good luck, everyone!

A singed ear tip i worth it. Who's excited about the grand prize this time!!?

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 18:10:21

Voice-over lesson with Kyle Hebert? Uh... yes please!

Haha. I have no idea what kind of chance I've actually got--there are some really impressive entries--but I'm eagerly awaiting the results nonetheless. This is the first time I've really done something like this, but I'm looking forward to doing more in the future. :D

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 20:14:53

At 10/6/12 04:31 PM, JaShinYa wrote:
At 10/6/12 11:12 AM, ecopper12 wrote:

Good luck, everyone!
A singed ear tip i worth it. Who's excited about the grand prize this time!!?

It sounds über-awesome, it really does, but heck, if I ended up with the prize up there I wouldn't have the faintest idea what it's all about :P I don't know the first thing about voice acting, I did it because the inspiration hit me, just like I'm working on a (should-be-a-very) prolonged version of a tune I put in the entry. In any case, for me, personally, this is the project that made me finally get up and freakin' do something, so thanks for that. A lot.

At 10/6/12 04:55 AM, Razmazan wrote: Suck, had a death in the family totally for got about it today. Its okay though no matter how good we (me and the many voices inside of me) are I am a mixing noob so I doubt I could have placed with out any coolio sfx to enhance the story. Maybe next time.

Sorry to hear that.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-06 22:24:09

At 10/6/12 01:22 AM, JaShinYa wrote: In case anyone hasn't noticed, the contest deadline has come and passed! Thank you all for your awesome entries! One thing that I'm really excited about is the fact that I've never been acquainted with any of you

Well my name is Tyler!
And I hope to participate in many more voice acting ventures here on Newgrounds!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-08 04:19:48

Man, you guys are really making this hard for me lol But it's a good thing. It seems to be bringing out the reviewer in me.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-08 18:09:13

Well even if this contest is the very first voic acting you've ever done, Kyle Hebert's session is aimed at beginners (although it is still very helpful for those with more experience).

Nice to meet you Tyler and everyone else. Another nice thing about these contests is that I get to find more people that I'd like to work with or at least people I can refer producers to!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-08 18:44:15

At 10/8/12 06:09 PM, JaShinYa wrote: Well even if this contest is the very first voic acting you've ever done, Kyle Hebert's session is aimed at beginners (although it is still very helpful for those with more experience).

Nice to meet you Tyler and everyone else. Another nice thing about these contests is that I get to find more people that I'd like to work with or at least people I can refer producers to!

Well it IS nice to join a contest like this and see how some people use the same theme and work out such different and brilliantly original things. And it's always good to meet a mix of amateurs, people with more experience and pro's.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-08 23:48:55

At 10/8/12 06:44 PM, Sonbiru wrote:
Well it IS nice to join a contest like this and see how some people use the same theme and work out such different and brilliantly original things. And it's always good to meet a mix of amateurs, people with more experience and pro's.

Also it is great practice, you never know how good you actually are or can be if you never try.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-09 00:50:47

Voice acting was always something I had always wanted to do, but I never looked for opportunities..

I was going to college for Theatre last year... but I stopped due to the realization that it was a complete waste of my money.
I mean, I don't need to have a degree to act you know?

Plus I went in as a freshman and was able to land a lead role.
(Not trying to brag, but stating that as a reason why I left)
I learned a lot while I was there (mostly from being in the show) and I still have a ton to learn, but to me the best (and cheapest) way to learn about acting is from experience, and this was a fantastic learning experience!

I loved hearing everyone's take on the topic, and was relieved to know that I wasn't the only newbie to voice acting here!
So to all you fellow new people, I hope to continue to hear your work and possibly work with you in the future!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-09 01:23:57

At 10/9/12 12:50 AM, Ultraconsole wrote: I mean, I don't need to have a degree to act you know?

Plus I went in as a freshman and was able to land a lead role.
(Not trying to brag, but stating that as a reason why I left)
I learned a lot while I was there (mostly from being in the show) and I still have a ton to learn, but to me the best (and cheapest) way to learn about acting is from experience, and this was a fantastic learning experience!

My experience is kind of similar to that. And I totally came to the same conclusion that you don't really need a degree to do such things. It's all about exposure, experience, and endurance. I think it kind of goes for all the arts. Even the most well-known artists dropped out and worked out their lives before getting to their great achievements. Nice to see someone who also dipped with theatre then left hahahahaha.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-11 00:13:49

At 10/10/12 07:21 PM, Mythologic wrote: Hey guys! Was just wondering what the status of the competition is currently? Haven't kept in the loop recently, been hella busy moving. Thanks a lot!

Currently we are in the judging process, and I must say things are coming along nicely.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-11 02:25:46

Quiz time!
Totally related to the topic: What's the worst job you've ever held?

I'll start off with one that may be comparatively tame.

One summer I was hired through a temp agency to go work at a paperboard box making factory. One of their rooftop hoppers which they used to vacuum scrap paper from around the factory had sprung a leak, and paper was filling the field around the building. The Environmental Protection Agency was fining them and making them clean up the mess. My job was this: I had to walk around on the roof for eight hours a day in Texas in July, cleaning up all of the scrap paper that had gotten between the rocks on the roof. Clearly this had been going on for some time, as some of the pieces of paper were baked onto the surface of the roof. I could empathize with those pieces of paper. Worst sunburn of my life!

Now... you go!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 9 2012-10-11 03:12:49

My pasty, red-headed ass would be baked if I did that. I think I'm going to save mine for a skit I want to do in celebration of the contest. Not really a bad job in and of itself, but the things that happened on the job....