00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The New Newgrounds...

4,132 Views | 55 Replies

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 10:57:45

At 9/5/12 01:10 AM, jqzjqz wrote: There's only 100+ forum users online right now. It also says, Most registered users ever online: 774 (Tuesday 17th July, 2007, at 5:23 PM). We will probably never break that record again.

Not really, we did break the record. The thing is, we crossed 774 online users on the day the 2012 redesign came out but the server crashed due to the high traffic and went down; after that there weren't enough people online -- if the servers had not allegedly crashed then the record would've been broken.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 15:06:04

The majority of the content from the early years hasn't held up well, it was just exciting because no one else was doing it. 9/11 was huge because something horrible happened and NG was the only place where people could express themselves with games and movies. We had a 5-6 year head start on YouTube (and never could have been YouTube because that required losing a million bucks a day and being bought by Google). If another 9/11 happened, the majority of the action would unfold on other sites. If anything from NG took off it would likely be a game; movies on NG never go viral anymore, there's always a YouTube version that does instead. Man that sounds like a downer, just acknowledging reality though.

Celebrity assassination games were cool in the 90s because access to a global audience had been given to common folks for the first time EVER. We grew up in a world where everything you saw and heard was tightly controlled by massive corporations. The web changed all that so it felt awesome to deflate the pillars of the film and recording industries. Nowadays there isn't as much of an excuse to feel enraged; celebrities, while doing fine, don't enjoy the same status and invincibility they had in the 80s and 90s. They have to manage a "social strategy", they have to be on 24/7 because everyone is filming them and taking pictures. They don't get to enjoy a life of zero consequences like they used to and there's not as much reason to hate them. Except Chris Brown.

There's lots of cool stuff on NG nowadays! Stuff that I think will hold up in ten years. There's always room for more original comedy and games with a sense of humor, though. NG exclusives are great but beggars can't be choosers. :P

I still hope to completely prove wrong everyone who ever doubted NG. Or implode, whichever comes first.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 15:12:44

At 9/5/12 03:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: I still hope to completely prove wrong everyone who ever doubted NG. Or implode, whichever comes first.

I want the first option.

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 16:11:40

You know, I've been thinking the same thing actually! I do miss the old newgrounds. I only signed up in 2006 but even since then a lot has changed. I wasn't around here before 2005 but it does seem like my early days here had much better flash submissions.

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 16:57:58

Yeah the old ...old newgrounds was even better when it actually meant "EVERYTHING BY EVERYONE" not just what is now appropiate.

Ohwell.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 17:04:11

Have you tried using the Classic Portal? It's all I ever use, it seems easier to navigate to me at least.

I agree, it sucks how most of the portal has become spam or random game accounts from companies. I haven't seen any decent flashes lately except from the well known flash artists who make front page no matter what.

Newgrounds has sadly changed alot over the years. I still haven't accepted it but it's not like I have a choice.

I miss the hentai

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 20:18:12

At 9/5/12 03:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: The majority of the content from the early years hasn't held up well, it was just exciting because no one else was doing it.

Kinda what I thought.

At the very least, you can try to keep an attitude here. That's something that Youtube lacks. It's a free for all mess over there. Try to keep that appeal, and you should always have a decent cult.

I think it's important to remember your roots. Sure, it was made back in a time when no-one else was there, but a kid will always find it funny. You want to simply show a more clean version to grab attention and point them at some oldies.

Assassin/Celebrity killer games are an example of what made your site gold, right? Maybe you should still try to play that, just a bit more modern and clean.

The days have passed, more players have been added, but the rules are still pretty similar. No matter how many generations, there's always going to be people who hate celebrities. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of kids Googling "Kill <<INSERT FAMOUS POP STAR HERE>>" like Beiber.

I'm probably wrong. You know your site better than I do. But I think it'd be beneficial to borrow some of the elements that existed back then and present them the same way now -- just in a more attractive light. Of course, you still want to show off the next popular game parody, people like them, but do this too.

There's a lot of angry kids out there today. I was one of them. There are more.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 21:02:21

At 9/5/12 03:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: There's lots of cool stuff on NG nowadays! Stuff that I think will hold up in ten years. There's always room for more original comedy and games with a sense of humor, though. NG exclusives are great but beggars can't be choosers. :P

I still hope to completely prove wrong everyone who ever doubted NG. Or implode, whichever comes first.

That is true in every respect. Overall, the flash today are much better than the flash back in the days. Many have the potential to be on frontpage, that's why there's so many icons now. But the content or themes on which they are based on are much different than before. It's much more bland now, back then it tasted good. I just miss the old Newgrounds' traditions. I miss seeing Pico more than the Tankman. I miss the variety in the Portal. That's what made me come back every day to see what's new in the Portal. I'm sorry but now... I probably check every other couple of days or whenever I have time because the thrill is not there every day like it used to be. Now I'm not doubting NG, but I'm doubting the community for not carrying on the old Newgrounds tradition.

I remember one horror flash that was really intense based on Clockwork Orange. I also remember FDA. Man, they were hilarious. I remember ClockCrew. I remember B. I remember trying to avoid many pointless ClockCrew animations. I remember Eskimo Bob. I remember ALL UR BASE R BELONG TO US. I remember the first time I saw Xiao Xiao 3. I remember how often Newgrounds was on the news and how often NG was spoken of at school. I remember so many things that I don't see any more these days.

Now... it just seems Newgrounds runs on parodies of current movies/video games. Animators today wouldn't dare animate such a cartoon or game like FDA. There was so much freedom of expression back in the day. It must've been a community thing. The countless submissions... thousands of people around the world would watch them whether they were good or bad or artistically beautiful or disgustingly outrageous. And people would review them with an open mind. I guess I wasn't around when the community evolved.

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 21:39:49

At 9/5/12 12:27 AM, Blazejsg wrote:
At 9/5/12 12:26 AM, Blazejsg wrote:
There's nothing better or worse that the new redesign has then the old one.
Old one"
fuck.

You forgot *than

Possibly more.

OP, things change. Get over it. The reason why the portal would get so many views back then was because there were few websites online with these videos. Now, there's Youtube and such.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-05 21:46:57

After the redesign it seems there are a lot less members on the BBS than before.
I like the redesign but I find that I myself am on the BBS considerable less than pre redesign.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 10:50:44

At 9/5/12 05:04 PM, Tarah wrote: Have you tried using the Classic Portal? It's all I ever use, it seems easier to navigate to me at least.

thats been said multiple times and has been established to be irellevant
WE ARE TAKING ABOUT CONTENT NOT INTERFACE

not clever and not funny
unless you're a first fag/INB4 fag who cant think of anything of substance to say EVER

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 14:29:21

I admit that it seems like Newgrounds has gotten less popular since YouTube came. Pretty much everybody has a YouTube profile nowadays and Charlie The Unicorn started out on Newgrounds, but now it's the most watched flash video on the Internet because of YouTube. There are still things that started out on Newgrounds, like Weebl's horse cartoon. I think we're still #1 in terms of games. Either us or Kongregate.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 14:34:09

It all started going downhill after they got rid of the pop-up user profiles...

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 15:04:55

At 9/6/12 02:34 PM, PeterM wrote: It all started going downhill after they got rid of the pop-up user profiles...

I kinda miss them, but it's just the nostalgic part of me. There's no way I'd want them back permanently.

Anyway, most people now seem to be here for the games, but it's still good to see a lot of content of all types.

I've gotten pretty acclimated to the changes NG has gone through over the years, but I can't speak for everyone else. From my end (obviously I'm not privy to Google Analytics data which may help put things in more perspective), there appears to be less activity all around and the redesign in February could have been a factor in that, even though I could see a clear slowdown before the implementation. I still like the redesign, and I think it set the right tone for the site's future, but it also may have been too much, too quickly for a lot of people. There was a risk from the very beginning to redesigning the whole site from the ground up...there was no way anyone could have known back then whether it would ultimately pay off or not. It may take something like BattleBlock Theater coming out for more people to start coming here again at a quicker rate. I can't see myself leaving NG though, after having been here so long already. It's not going to be easy for NG to make a big comeback to the point where it's just about as influential or important as it was about a decade ago, given the competition now, but it's certainly possible.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 15:23:14

At 9/5/12 12:04 AM, jqzjqz wrote: I don't mean to rant... but you know... I have been keeping it to myself for a really long time... but I need to get it off my chest now.

Newgrounds has changed a lot. The new look is very nice and all, but I really miss the old Portal.

I hate to break it to you dude, but I've been here a lot longer that you have, probably ranted a lot less, and this is the new-new-new-newgrounds. deal with it.

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 19:08:31

At 9/6/12 03:04 PM, GoryBlizzard wrote:
At 9/6/12 02:34 PM, PeterM wrote: It all started going downhill after they got rid of the pop-up user profiles...
I kinda miss them, but it's just the nostalgic part of me. There's no way I'd want them back permanently.

we could get program that retrieves information from {INSERT USER NAME HERE}.newgrounds.com
and uses that info to generate a html file with the same look and feel of the pop-up profiles
and make it into a browser plug in

in fact you could make an app to download and restyle ng pages so you wouldn't have an issue with the current layout

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 19:15:23

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 19:18:04

Time passes, people move
Like a rivers flow, it never ends
A childish mind will turn to noble ambition
Young love will become deep affection
The clear water's surface reflects growth...

Everything has to change some time.

Kudos for the reference.

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 19:20:26

At 9/6/12 07:15 PM, Nghelper-1 wrote: Rip portal
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal

did you not read this thread more than 5 people linked to that
and it wasn't what the op was talking about

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 19:26:10

It's pretty irritating when you are a new generation NG user and you never get to experience these "great things".

I'm surprised that people actually come here for games. I always thought movies but whatever.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 19:33:52

At 9/5/12 12:04 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Nowadays, all the submissions are good

The New Newgrounds...

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 19:49:42

At 9/5/12 12:04 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Looking at several recent portal submissions, the view counts on most movies are very low. Games get a couple more hits because apparently every one loves to play games. Is that really what Newgrounds has come to? Just another website for games? What happened to the Portal? Where did every one go? Youtube? DeviantART?

The reason why the view counts are low is because the portal is overactive where the number of people submitting is beginning to outpace the number of people watching; I remember back in '09 when you'd be lucky to get 10 save/blam points a day, now I average fifty a day, sometimes I even score 150.

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 21:52:53

At 9/5/12 01:01 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 9/5/12 12:56 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Which one of you remember when Newgrounds look like this?
It had frames before that as well.

I have a massive archive of thngs from that time when there was a thread for it!

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 22:10:50

At 9/6/12 09:52 PM, idiot-buster wrote:
At 9/5/12 01:01 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 9/5/12 12:56 AM, jqzjqz wrote: Which one of you remember when Newgrounds look like this?
It had frames before that as well.
I have a massive archive of thngs from that time when there was a thread for it!

Throw some of that old shit towards the dying NG Archive, we need a kick in the dick again :(

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 22:27:48

At 9/5/12 03:06 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Or implode, whichever comes first.

Promise us we'll never see those corporate bastards at Microsoft, Facebook, Apple, Google, Yahoo, etc. buy this place.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The New Newgrounds... 2012-09-06 22:41:44

Aha, I'd be careful what you wish for. I feel like I'm at that awkward stage between having content that's good and content that's great and flashy (whether that's games, animation, music, or art. Covers all bases). Really, NOT everybody is good at flash yet. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I personally think NG is better off with the better, glossier content now and leaving all the vulgar and less flashy stuff in the past, although you do see that kept alive in some ways.