00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Art Thread Re-do

42,280 Views | 359 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 17:02:35

At 9/17/12 04:04 PM, Jester wrote:
At 9/17/12 12:25 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Found an error already. There is a lack of curvature in the spine area, which I have already taken the liberty of correcting.
Left hand's a little wonky, that'd be a really awkward and uncomfortable way to hold an axe.

I'll actually revisit this one, after I learn how to draw hands better. I am working on a better way to construct them.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 17:19:42

At 9/17/12 12:25 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Found an error already.

oh hey me too

Oh, and before I forget, this week is figure drawing week, which means I will probably post nothing but figure drawing,

I'll believe it when I see it

My Art Thread Re-do

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 17:20:56

At 9/17/12 05:19 PM, Lucky wrote:
oh hey me too

What he showed...

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 17:21:35

oh hey me too

Oh, and before I forget, this week is figure drawing week, which means I will probably post nothing but figure drawing,
I'll believe it when I see it

Alright. thanks for the correction tips!

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 17:24:02

At 9/17/12 05:20 PM, Sockembop wrote:
oh hey me too
What he showed...

So, lower the RIGHT shoulder, then raise the LEFT shoulder, flip the direction of the hand on the LEFT shoulder, and add more curvature to the spine, and balance the overall pose. Got it. I will definitely be revisiting this as soon as possible. First, though, I want to try and draw some arms and possible ways to construct them. But thanks for the tips, and I will be revisiting this piece very soon!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 18:18:40

I'd like to give some tips on shading, with light it's more methodical and being that you're a "visual learner" hears a template.

You seem to think light is hitting points individually such as casting a shadow that can be repeated on cylindrical parts, but in reality light will become gradually darker and lighter depending on where you put it.

There is no "wrong" shading, just awkward choices.

just some messy crosshatching to help illustrate change.

My Art Thread Re-do

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 18:36:54

At 9/17/12 06:18 PM, Absinthe wrote: I'd like to give some tips on shading, with light it's more methodical and being that you're a "visual learner" hears a template.

You seem to think light is hitting points individually such as casting a shadow that can be repeated on cylindrical parts, but in reality light will become gradually darker and lighter depending on where you put it.

There is no "wrong" shading, just awkward choices.

just some messy crosshatching to help illustrate change.

Alright, cool, cool! Thanks again, as always! I will definitely use this to my advantage. I am actually re-drawing this right now, so everyone's examples are really helping me out on this one.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-17 21:42:26

At 9/17/12 09:31 PM, Kostou wrote: hey, glad we could help, even if a little bit! If you would like me to do something like that in the future you can just pm! Best of luck.

I may just take you up on that! ; )

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 01:15:43

At 9/13/12 04:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: An HUD design. I would appreciate critique on my overall designs if possible. That would be very helpful!

That looks pretty cool, i'd like to see it a bit simplified though.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 01:21:53

At 9/18/12 01:15 AM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 9/13/12 04:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: An HUD design. I would appreciate critique on my overall designs if possible. That would be very helpful!
That looks pretty cool, i'd like to see it a bit simplified though.

Well, I have a set of mechanics that require the amount of gauges you see. Though, I could just reduce it to having a Health, Guard and an All-Purpose Super Meter, including for Revenge Attacks when it fills to 200%.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 01:24:43

Well, I have a set of mechanics that require the amount of gauges you see. Though, I could just reduce it to having a Health, Guard and an All-Purpose Super Meter, including for Revenge Attacks when it fills to 200%.

Also, I was thinking of having things like:
Parrying
Snapbacks
A Six Button Fighting System
Barriers
Bursts
Escapes
Revenge Attacks
Counter Focus

And some other mechanics.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 03:22:33

At 9/18/12 01:24 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:

Still, as a player i really don't see the point of having a guard gauge. Maybe it's have to be visonary on the player model or a sound effect. but its your game.

Parrying

I get to do this?

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 08:51:43

Parrying
I get to do this?

Not quite. It would be a Makoto Nanaya style parry, similar to the focus attack from SFIV, but allows you to stun the opponent at the cost of 25% of your super gauge. If it misses, it doesn't cost anything, but if you nail it, it not only stuns your opponent, but affords you a counter attack.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 09:11:49

It's amazing how far a few critiques and corrections can improve a piece. Except...I had to re-do this one. So, I took Lucky's suggestion and turned her head, gave her more curvature in her spine, moved her hands on the ax to where they make sense and so on. Even though it is stylized, I think many improvements have been made, and I will keep practicing poses like this throughout the week. Thanks for your help everyone, I couldn't have done it without ya.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 14:19:40

Someone help me find the finger formation...I took a close up of this on Photoshop, and I was absolutely confused...Should I like make the hands bigger or something?

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 14:20:58

At 9/18/12 02:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Someone help me find the finger formation...I took a close up of this on Photoshop, and I was absolutely confused...Should I like make the hands bigger or something?

I kinda like her expression though. It's almost like she's yelling "come at me, bro".

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 14:43:24

At 9/18/12 02:19 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Someone help me find the finger formation...I took a close up of this on Photoshop, and I was absolutely confused...Should I like make the hands bigger or something?

This one is flawless. Good job!

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 15:00:00

At 9/18/12 02:43 PM, Mownkey wrote:

You sure you can't find a flaw in there somewhere? I personally am having a hard time finding where I should draw the fingers in the line art, but I am pretty sure that if I darken it a little in Photoshop, it will make the fingers easier to find.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 15:42:11

At 9/18/12 03:00 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 9/18/12 02:43 PM, Mownkey wrote:
You sure you can't find a flaw in there somewhere? I personally am having a hard time finding where I should draw the fingers in the line art, but I am pretty sure that if I darken it a little in Photoshop, it will make the fingers easier to find.

Stomach should be bigger and so should the chest, hands should be just a tad bigger, hands with the fingers stretched out should be about 5/6th the length of the head. Eye should be a lot smaller, feet should be about 1 and 1/3 the length of the face. And there are some more anatomy mistakes but I can't really describe them with just words and I don't have access to my photoshop atm.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 15:47:22

At 9/18/12 03:42 PM, Ludic wrote:
feet should be about 1 and 1/3 the length of the face.

Ignore that, wrong number. 1 and 1/6*

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 15:56:14

Stomach should be bigger and so should the chest, hands should be just a tad bigger, hands with the fingers stretched out should be about 5/6th the length of the head. Eye should be a lot smaller, feet should be about 1 and 1/3 the length of the face. And there are some more anatomy mistakes but I can't really describe them with just words and I don't have access to my photoshop atm.

Alright, I would agree if I were drawing her realistically, and yeah, you're right. Correcting the feet and hands should be easy enough, so I can just do that right away if need be. Also, part of her torso is hidden by her arm, but even so, I could widen her abdomen a bit. Also, I just realized the feet are about 1/3 bigger than your hands, so I'll be looking at increasing the size of that as well. I will post the edits in a couple of hours, and as always, I appreciate your feedback.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 16:07:16

At 9/18/12 03:47 PM, Ludic wrote:
At 9/18/12 03:42 PM, Ludic wrote:
feet should be about 1 and 1/3 the length of the face.
Ignore that, wrong number. 1 and 1/6*

I just put my hand to my face, and it was only about 3/4 the length of my head.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 16:16:25

At 9/18/12 04:07 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:

You've either got a long face or a short hand then bro. :P

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-18 18:35:20

At 9/18/12 04:16 PM, Ludic wrote:

Eh...Probably...I looked into those things you talked about with the picture, and I have corrected them as of now, so it should look a little better. Here it is:

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-19 13:13:50

New Gauge Designs

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-19 13:21:41

Got rid of those pesky .png errors.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-19 19:06:39

At 9/18/12 06:35 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:

Eh...Probably...I looked into those things you talked about with the picture, and I have corrected them as of now, so it should look a little better. Here it is:

I feel like the axe blade should be facing the other way but that could just be because i'm a picky fucker.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-19 20:31:42

At 9/19/12 07:06 PM, Jester wrote:
At 9/18/12 06:35 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:

I feel like the axe blade should be facing the other way but that could just be because i'm a picky fucker.

That's a fair assessment, but even so, I only put it that way because I wanted the ax to make it into the photographed sketch.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-20 20:10:06

At 9/19/12 01:21 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Got rid of those pesky .png errors.

looks much better.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-21 10:22:20

At 9/20/12 08:10 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 9/19/12 01:21 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Got rid of those pesky .png errors.
looks much better.

Thank you. : )

BBS Signature